    The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
    few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
    something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.
    Darron Schneider, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Darron Schneider

    Robert Akins Guest

    It probably won't post at 1.8V. There were several versions of the K6-III+
    with different voltage requirements. That's probably why it was $20; there
    are only a couple motherboards that it will work on (if that). You might
    see if you can find some kind of voltage reducer adapter (Powerleap?) that
    goes down to 1.6V.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Darron Schneider

    Tim Guest

    The VA-503A requires BETA BIOS JN4116 (with audio codec) or JO4116
    (without audio codec) to support the K6-II+/III+ processors.

    ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/socket7/va-503a/JO4116.ZIP

    ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/socket7/va-503a/JN4116.ZIP

    ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/socket7/va-503a/flash713.zip

    Regards,

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Darron Schneider

    farmuse Guest

    if anything it WOULD post, but 1.8 is as high as I would go ~ he should
    flash the BIOS and then he should be good to go

    farmuse, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Darron Schneider

    neopolaris Guest

    Darron Schneider wrote:
    > I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
    > than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
    > morning only to find it will not even POST.
    >
    > The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
    > is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
    > with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
    > know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
    >
    > The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
    > few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
    > something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

    $20 for a "+" cpu sounds too good to be true.
    neopolaris, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Darron Schneider

    Kyle Brant Guest

    I might add that the low Vcore voltage rating on the CPU package is
    not necessarily the max voltage you can use with the chip. The rating
    for Vcore according to AMD spec sheets is "up to 2.2v". I suspect
    2.0v would work just fine with the process technology of that
    particular era of cpu. However, ymmv. Remember that these chips were
    originally intended for laptop use, where power conservation is of
    much more concern. Chips that would work properly at lower Vcore were
    probably test sorted by AMD for sale to laptop customers.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Nov 17, 2003
  7. Darron Schneider

    )-()-( Guest

    Darron Schneider wrote:

    > I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
    > than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
    > morning only to find it will not even POST.
    >
    > The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
    > is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
    > with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
    > know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
    >
    > The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
    > few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
    > something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

    I don't think there are any K6-3+ chips that were 1.6v.
    I have one and it says 2.0v.
    )-()-(, Nov 18, 2003
  8. Darron Schneider

    )-()-( Guest

    ")-()-(" wrote:

    > Darron Schneider wrote:
    >
    > > I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
    > > than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
    > > morning only to find it will not even POST.
    > >
    > > The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
    > > is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
    > > with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
    > > know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
    > >
    > > The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
    > > few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
    > > something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

    > I don't think there are any K6-3+ chips that were 1.6v.
    > I have one and it says 2.0v.

    Here's a reference.
    http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
    )-()-(, Nov 18, 2003
  9. Darron Schneider

    Robert Akins Guest

    The majority of K6-III+ CPUs were 2.0V but that wasn't the only voltage they
    were sold with. I once was at the Dallas TX 3rd Saturday computer sale and
    one vendor who usually sells software (and a few misc. hardware items) had a
    couple flats of K6-III+ 400 CPUs they were selling. When I looked at them I
    discovered they were marked 1.8V. I explained to the ladies who were
    running the booth that day that they might get a bunch of unhappy customers
    who discovered that their Socket 7 boards would not run these chips. They
    pulled the CPUs off the table and said they would check out my claim. I
    don't know what happened after that. I presume that there could be some
    1.6V chips out there too.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Nov 18, 2003
  10. Darron Schneider

    Tim Guest

    ")-()-(" wrote in message news:<>...

    > I don't think there are any K6-3+ chips that were 1.6v.
    > I have one and it says 2.0v.

    There were low power versions released as "embedded" processors but
    with the standard 321-pin CPGA package of a desktop/mobile processor.
    I suspect these versions were not released in North American markets.
    They are rare, but out there in some quantities.

    K6-2E+/350AUZ 1.5V
    K6-2E+/400ATZ 1.6V
    K6-2E+/450APZ 1.7V

    K6-IIIE+/400ATZ 1.6V
    K6-IIIE+/450APZ 1.7V
    K6-IIIE+/500ANZ 1.8V

    I have never seen one of these, so the actual processor marking may
    not use the "E" designation (e.g. AMD-K6-III+/400ATZ). I do not know
    if these are similarly compatible with desktop motherboards, but at
    least one (unverified) source reports they are compatible. The
    K6-II+/III+ we are most accustomed to seeing are the ACZ models
    (2.0V).

    Surplus Computers has some K6-II+ 550MHz and K6-III+ 450MHz processors
    available for sale (as of this writing). The price on the K6-II+
    550MHz is $39.99.

    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/cpu.html

    Regards,

    Tim
    Tim, Nov 18, 2003
  11. On 18 Nov 2003 00:59:40 -0800, (Tim) wrote:

    >")-()-(" wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> I don't think there are any K6-3+ chips that were 1.6v.
    >> I have one and it says 2.0v.

    >There were low power versions released as "embedded" processors but
    >with the standard 321-pin CPGA package of a desktop/mobile processor.
    >I suspect these versions were not released in North American markets.
    >They are rare, but out there in some quantities.
    >
    >K6-2E+/350AUZ 1.5V
    >K6-2E+/400ATZ 1.6V
    >K6-2E+/450APZ 1.7V
    >
    >K6-IIIE+/400ATZ 1.6V
    >K6-IIIE+/450APZ 1.7V
    >K6-IIIE+/500ANZ 1.8V
    >
    >I have never seen one of these, so the actual processor marking may
    >not use the "E" designation (e.g. AMD-K6-III+/400ATZ). I do not know
    >if these are similarly compatible with desktop motherboards, but at
    >least one (unverified) source reports they are compatible. The
    >K6-II+/III+ we are most accustomed to seeing are the ACZ models
    >(2.0V).
    >
    >Surplus Computers has some K6-II+ 550MHz and K6-III+ 450MHz processors
    >available for sale (as of this writing). The price on the K6-II+
    >550MHz is $39.99.
    >
    >http://www.softwareandstuff.com/cpu.html
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Tim

    Thanks to all who wrote in; really good advice for the most part. I
    will look into the BIOS update; that board has JO413 right now. I was
    actually planning to put it in my Mom's HP notebook (she has a
    K6-II+/550) and I just wanted to test it before taking that thing
    apart. I figured it would be safe to be only .2V away from nominal
    and if I cooked it I could call it a learning experience ;-)

    For those who didn't find the ebay listing, try
    http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/92/9d/5d_1.JPG. I can verify it is
    exactly as shown with the ATZ marking.

    Wish me luck!
    Darron Schneider, Nov 20, 2003
  12. On 16 Nov 2003 12:14:22 -0800, (Tim) wrote:

    >The VA-503A requires BETA BIOS JN4116 (with audio codec) or JO4116
    >(without audio codec) to support the K6-II+/III+ processors.
    >
    >ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/socket7/va-503a/JO4116.ZIP
    >
    >ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/socket7/va-503a/JN4116.ZIP
    >
    >ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/socket7/va-503a/flash713.zip
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Tim

    Tim, what is the difference between flash73.exe and flash713.exe? I
    think I used flash73 last time around.
    Darron Schneider, Nov 20, 2003
  13. Darron Schneider

    Kyle Brant Guest

    | On 18 Nov 2003 00:59:40 -0800, (Tim) wrote:
    |
    | >")-()-(" wrote in message news:<>...
    | >
    | >> I don't think there are any K6-3+ chips that were 1.6v.
    | >> I have one and it says 2.0v.
    | >

    | >There were low power versions released as "embedded" processors but
    | >with the standard 321-pin CPGA package of a desktop/mobile
    processor.
    | >I suspect these versions were not released in North American
    markets.
    | >They are rare, but out there in some quantities.
    | >
    | >K6-2E+/350AUZ 1.5V
    | >K6-2E+/400ATZ 1.6V
    | >K6-2E+/450APZ 1.7V
    | >
    | >K6-IIIE+/400ATZ 1.6V
    | >K6-IIIE+/450APZ 1.7V
    | >K6-IIIE+/500ANZ 1.8V
    | >
    | >I have never seen one of these, so the actual processor marking may
    | >not use the "E" designation (e.g. AMD-K6-III+/400ATZ). I do not
    know
    | >if these are similarly compatible with desktop motherboards, but at
    | >least one (unverified) source reports they are compatible. The
    | >K6-II+/III+ we are most accustomed to seeing are the ACZ models
    | >(2.0V).
    | >
    | >Surplus Computers has some K6-II+ 550MHz and K6-III+ 450MHz
    processors
    | >available for sale (as of this writing). The price on the K6-II+
    | >550MHz is $39.99.
    | >
    | >http://www.softwareandstuff.com/cpu.html
    | >
    | >Regards,
    | >
    | >Tim
    |
    | Thanks to all who wrote in; really good advice for the most part. I
    | will look into the BIOS update; that board has JO413 right now. I
    was
    | actually planning to put it in my Mom's HP notebook (she has a
    | K6-II+/550) and I just wanted to test it before taking that thing
    | apart. I figured it would be safe to be only .2V away from nominal
    | and if I cooked it I could call it a learning experience ;-)
    |
    | For those who didn't find the ebay listing, try
    | http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/92/9d/5d_1.JPG. I can verify it is
    | exactly as shown with the ATZ marking.
    |
    | Wish me luck!

    Given your ultimate goal of dropping the cpu in a laptop, the laptop
    may just have settings for the desired Vcore, so look it over real
    good.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    Kyle Brant, Nov 20, 2003
  14. Darron Schneider

    Tim Guest

    Darron Schneider wrote in message news:<>...

    > Tim, what is the difference between flash73.exe and flash713.exe? I
    > think I used flash73 last time around.

    My apologies. I intended to link FLASH73.EXE, which is already
    included in the BIOS zip file, anyhoo.

    Regards,

    Tim
    Tim, Nov 20, 2003
  15. Darron Schneider

    Tim Guest

    Odds are the extra .2V is within maximum safe limits. The extra .2V
    is not the cause of your POST failure. You need the BIOS update for
    the VA-503A to run these processors.

    WRT your mother's notebook, expect no meaningful improvement over the
    K6-2+ 550MHz lest ye find a way to overclock the K6-III+ to 500MHz or
    more. A K6-2+ @ 550MHz is virtually equivalent to a K6-III+ @ 450MHz
    in performance. The disparity between the "+" models is not nearly as
    great as that between the desktop K6-2 and K6-III because the K6-2+
    has 128KB of L2 whereas the K6-2 had none.

    Regards,

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 20, 2003
  16. Darron Schneider

    Kyle Brant Guest

    I'd think a k62+ at 550 will easily outperform a k63+ at 450. In my
    crude testing, I saw about 1-2 fps difference between the two CPUs
    running Unreal Tournament at the same clock speed.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Nov 22, 2003
  17. Darron Schneider

    Jack Guest

    "Kyle Brant" <> wrote in message news:<bpn5ho$1r1qag$-berlin.de>...
    > I'd think a k62+ at 550 will easily outperform a k63+ at 450. In my
    > crude testing, I saw about 1-2 fps difference between the two CPUs
    > running Unreal Tournament at the same clock speed.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kyle
    > "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > | Odds are the extra .2V is within maximum safe limits. The extra .2V
    > | is not the cause of your POST failure. You need the BIOS update for
    > | the VA-503A to run these processors.
    > |
    > | WRT your mother's notebook, expect no meaningful improvement over
    > the
    > | K6-2+ 550MHz lest ye find a way to overclock the K6-III+ to 500MHz
    > or
    > | more. A K6-2+ @ 550MHz is virtually equivalent to a K6-III+ @
    > 450MHz
    > | in performance. The disparity between the "+" models is not nearly
    > as
    > | great as that between the desktop K6-2 and K6-III because the K6-2+
    > | has 128KB of L2 whereas the K6-2 had none.
    > |
    > | Regards,
    > |
    > | Tim
    > |

    > | Darron Schneider wrote in message
    > |
    > | > Thanks to all who wrote in; really good advice for the most part.
    > | > will look into the BIOS update; that board has JO413 right now. I
    > was
    > | > actually planning to put it in my Mom's HP notebook (she has a
    > | > K6-II+/550) and I just wanted to test it before taking that thing
    > | > apart. I figured it would be safe to be only .2V away from
    > nominal
    > | > and if I cooked it I could call it a learning experience ;-)
    > | >
    > | > For those who didn't find the ebay listing, try
    > | > http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/92/9d/5d_1.JPG. I can verify it is
    > | > exactly as shown with the ATZ marking.
    > | >
    > | > Wish me luck!

    I have some experience with the various versions of K6-2+ and III+.
    Here's my two bits worth...

    The performance differences between the two vary widely depending on
    what software you use. (I doubt his mom will be playing much UT ;).
    3DGames are very FPU dependent, so extra L2 cache doesn't play as big
    a role.

    It also depends on the system chipset and amount of RAM installed. For
    example, on the FIC motherboard you mention, the MVP4 chipset only
    caches 128MB of RAM. Adding more RAM means the remainder will not be
    cached by the motherboard, only by the on-chip L2 cache. In this
    situation, the larger cache of the K6-III+ makes a world of difference
    and a K6-III+/450 will be much faster than a K6-2+/550 for most tasks.

    I'm not sure what chipset is used in the laptop, but the ALI chipsets
    are a bit better in this regards. Also, unless you know how to change
    the settings for the laptop, just swapping chips would cause the
    K6-III+ to run at 550Mhz and 2.0v. I doubt very much that it would
    work reliably.

    All in all, I don't think a K6-2+/550 to K6-III+/400 swap would be
    wise, unless you're looking to reduce heat or increase battery life.
    Then it might make sense.
    Jack, Nov 26, 2003
  18. Darron Schneider

    Kyle Brant Guest

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    | "Kyle Brant" <> wrote in message
    | > I'd think a k62+ at 550 will easily outperform a k63+ at 450. In
    my
    | > crude testing, I saw about 1-2 fps difference between the two CPUs
    | > running Unreal Tournament at the same clock speed.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Best regards,
    | > Kyle
    | > "Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > | Odds are the extra .2V is within maximum safe limits. The extra
    ..2V
    | > | is not the cause of your POST failure. You need the BIOS update
    for
    | > | the VA-503A to run these processors.
    | > |
    | > | WRT your mother's notebook, expect no meaningful improvement
    over
    | > the
    | > | K6-2+ 550MHz lest ye find a way to overclock the K6-III+ to
    500MHz
    | > or
    | > | more. A K6-2+ @ 550MHz is virtually equivalent to a K6-III+ @
    | > 450MHz
    | > | in performance. The disparity between the "+" models is not
    nearly
    | > as
    | > | great as that between the desktop K6-2 and K6-III because the
    K6-2+
    | > | has 128KB of L2 whereas the K6-2 had none.
    | > |
    | > | Regards,
    | > |
    | > | Tim
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Darron Schneider wrote in message
    | > |
    | > was
    | > nominal

    | I have some experience with the various versions of K6-2+ and III+.
    | Here's my two bits worth...
    |
    | The performance differences between the two vary widely depending on
    | what software you use. (I doubt his mom will be playing much UT ;).
    | 3DGames are very FPU dependent, so extra L2 cache doesn't play as
    big
    | a role.

    Extra L2 cache plays a role in nearly all aspects of operation.
    CPUmark99 results for the 2 chips were slightly different, tho not a
    remarkable difference (maybe 59vs 55, been so long I don't remember
    the actual scores). The fact that running UT with the 2 different
    cpus resulted in only a small difference indicates performance of the
    2 is quite comparable, as such games are actually quite memory
    intensive. The bottleneck in a 3d (direct3d or opengl) game is
    typically the graphics card, as fps rarely scales with CPU speed when
    the graphics card is the limiting factor.

    | It also depends on the system chipset and amount of RAM installed.
    For
    | example, on the FIC motherboard you mention, the MVP4 chipset only
    | caches 128MB of RAM. Adding more RAM means the remainder will not be
    | cached by the motherboard, only by the on-chip L2 cache. In this
    | situation, the larger cache of the K6-III+ makes a world of
    difference
    | and a K6-III+/450 will be much faster than a K6-2+/550 for most
    tasks.

    Agreed, with the exception of the caching capability of the mvp3 and
    mvp4 chipsets, both chipsets cache 256meg (actually 255 meg due to a
    design decision regarding use of the onboard TAG ram) in write-thru
    caching mode. If the intended usage is for word
    processing/email/web-browsing then the performance differences between
    similarly clocked k62+ and k63+ CPUs will not be noticable to the
    average user unless more than 256 meg of ram is installed.

    Kyle Brant, Nov 26, 2003