    Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
    Should I just get a new motherboard?

    Jeannette
    jeannette999, Mar 2, 2005

  2. "jeannette999" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
    > and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
    > started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
    > here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
    > Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
    > came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
    > restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
    > nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
    > changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.
    >
    > Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
    > Should I just get a new motherboard?
    >
    > Jeannette

    This is a general troubleshooting problem, not one specific to Elitegroup.
    The problem is unlikely to fix itself and your computer may well just die
    one day soon if you do not investigate.

    There are many possible problems (almost certainly hardware related).

    Firstly, open the case and remove RAM, video card, CPU and HSF. Remove and
    reseat all connections (ATX power, IDE etc., checking nothing has come loose
    or detached. Blow out all the dust, especially from the HSF and the PSU.
    Reseat all components correctly and retry. No better? Try a different PSU,
    at least 300w (preferably bigger). No better? Try a different stick of RAM.
    No Better? Try a different CPU (never run the CPU without HSF attached). No
    better? It may be a mainboard fault. Inspect the board closely for evidence
    of burning or bulging capacitors, in which case you may need to replace the
    board and (depending on OS) do a repair installation of the OS.

    If you do not have spare components to do these tests, you will have to find
    someone who has, like a repair shop! Unfortunately, buying a new mainboard
    will not necessarily cure your problem because the fault may not lie with
    that component. Good luck!

    --
    Remove ".invalid" with ".com" to reply
    news.clara.net, Mar 3, 2005

  3. jeannette999

    Buffalo Guest

    Remove and reseat the ram sticks.
    If more than one ram stick, use one at a time to see if one is going bad.
    Replace the MB battery. Only a few dollars and easy to change.
    It really sounds like a ram problem.

    Buffalo, Mar 4, 2005
  4. jeannette999

    PJx Guest

    On 2 Mar 2005 07:22:55 -0500,
    -spam.invalid (jeannette999) wrote:

    >Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
    >and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
    >started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
    >here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
    >Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
    >came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
    >restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
    >nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
    >changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.
    >
    >Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
    >Should I just get a new motherboard?

    Yes and Yes.
    Time to get a new motherboard. I suggest newegg or frys.

    PJ

    PJx, Mar 4, 2005
  5. This is exactly the symptoms I had when the caps on my K7S5A went tits up.
    Deal with it now as opposed to having lots of file corruptions to add to the
    aggravation of doing the repair install of Windows with your new board.

    Take a magnifying glass and look a the crosses on the top of your capacitors
    and see if they are separating and or turning brown or leaking.

    Jess Fertudei, Mar 6, 2005
  6. jeannette999

    Buffalo Guest

    > Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
    > and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
    > started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
    > here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
    > Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
    > came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
    > restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
    > nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
    > changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.
    >
    > Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
    > Should I just get a new motherboard?
    >
    > Jeannette

    A failing power suppy or, as Jess says, leaking capacitors can cause those
    problems also.
    Post back if you solve it.
    Thanks.
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Mar 8, 2005
  7. jeannette999

    debrucer Guest

    I have two of these ECS K7S5A Pro Rev. 5.0 motherboards with AMD CPUs.
    The BIOS is V 1.0 and there are 8 "patches" under BIOS for this MB. To
    me, a patch is NOT necessarily a full BIOS, and there is a circular
    link on their instructions for how to use the update software -- so I
    have booted MANY times and changed MANY BIOS options -- and I have
    EXACTLY the same symptoms when I set the CPU speed to 1.66 and bus to
    1.33. 1.00/1.000 and 1.33/1.33 work just fine but 1.66/1.33 go into
    this flipping between CD ROM and Burner lights.

    Take off the cover and either remove the CMOS battery, or use the
    jumper next to the battery to reset the BIOS, then when you boot the
    BIOS info will appear on the screen, enter the BIOS and adjust your
    values as you wish, and the machine will work "normally".

    I'm giving up on a BIOS update though - just don't trust ECS. Their
    site REALLY sucks!

    debrucer, Mar 19, 2005