    I use the ATA/133? If I can am I getting the full benefit of using ATA/133?

    Thanks
    Rob
    Robert Stewart, Oct 20, 2005

  2. I don't know if this matters, but the Maxtor that I mentioned in the

    "Robert Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > I am wanting to replace my secondary internal hard drive. I found a

    Maxtor
    > 300GB ATA/133 drive and was wondering if this would work on the K7S5A Pro
    > mobo? I am currently running a Hitachi Deskstar Ultra ATA/100 82.3GB.

    Can

    Robert Stewart, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Robert Stewart

    robm Guest

    manual says only supports
    UltraDMA 33/66/100

    of course the manual has some mistakes as well

    U will need to use the 80 conductor cable to get 66/100/(133 ?)

    I thing the BIOS will detect and say 300Mb as identifier but none of the HD
    specs will be put into the user defined drive properties of BIOS i think you
    will see LBA- ON in the BIOS

    you will need OS that supports large drives

    If using W2K and it says drive is 137 Mb ?? (or close) then you will need at
    least SP (2-3-4) ? and to set the LBA to 48 bits manually in registry. M$
    has a KB###### article on how to do this, just search for "Enable LBA 48
    bit" on MS web site, the article gives some cautions though

    HTH

    robm, Oct 20, 2005
  4. No, it will, not work on the motherboard's IDE controller because of the
    137 gig limit. However, if you buy a PCI IDE controller for this
    motherboard, you can hook up any hard drive. They are pretty chep, around
    $20.

    Brian Campbell, Oct 20, 2005
  5. Robert Stewart

    robm Guest

    a separate ata133 controler is good solution as you get ata133 support

    but there are several reports of succesful use of 160-200 mb HD with the
    k7s5a pro board which can be read about at these links plus i have a 160 mb
    drive

    http://tinyurl.com/3d7tc

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt....5a pro hd limit&rnum=1&hl=en#911b00f80d7ca6c6

    The issue is BIOS function and OS function. The BIOS is an issue at boot
    time and the boot drive size can not exceed the BIOS size limit plus the
    boot drive partition can not fall outside the BIOS size limit but once
    booted the OS takes over HD management and will recognize the rest of the
    drive if OS supports the HD capacity.

    for W2K you need a particular SP3 ? level and enable LBA 48 bit support bla
    bla

    if you find an error with these points and posts then please let me know so
    that i can save myself some future problems

    as i have...

    K7S5a Pro v5.0
    W2k sp4
    160Gb WD

    robm, Oct 20, 2005
  6. Sorry, I should have been a little more thorough in my information. Below
    is what the mobo manual lists as features.

    Onboard IDE Channels:
    - Primary and Secondary PCI IDE channels.
    - Support for PIO (programmable input/output) modes.
    - Support for Multiword DMA modes.
    - Support for Bus Mastering and Ultra DMA 33/66/100 modes.

    I am using Windows XP Pro with an 80GB Hitachi Deskstar Ultra ATA/100 and a
    60GB Western Digital 40pin EIDE (pulled from WD site using drives part
    number
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=711&p_created=1037284926); I
    am unsure of the rest of the specifics for this secondary drive. I would
    like to replace the 60GB with the 300GB and move the 60GB to a USB
    external drive enclosure. In the previous message, robm mentions an "80
    conductor cable", what's the deal with that. Without opening my case, I'm
    pretty sure that I am using 80 pin cables now. Thank you for the response
    and I hope that this information will help.

    Robert Stewart, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Robert Stewart

    tcsenter Guest

    There are numerous reports on the K7S5A Motherboard Forum (EZ Board)
    successfully using 160GB and larger drives (up to 200GB reported) with
    the latest BIOS, and the BIOS reports the full capacity. ECS claims on
    its HDD capacity support page that drives "up to 250GB" are supported
    on the K7S5A V3.1, though 160GB is given for K7S5A PRO.

    160GB drive exceeds the 28-bit ATA addressing limitation, so in theory,
    if 160GB drive works, the BIOS and IDE/ATA controller support 48-bit
    LBA. If V3.1 officially supports 'big drives', V5.0 certainly should.
    tcsenter, Oct 21, 2005
  8. you should also consider an external hd enclousure they sell for as little
    as $30 at new egg .com and they work with usb2, so you can keep the
    secondary hard drive and have an external drive.
    vincenzo musico, Oct 21, 2005
  9. My 2 extra cents. ATA133 is a marketing term, based on no real
    performance boost. Truth be know, it is the rare drive that can surpass
    even ata66 speed, so there is no penalty with ata100, ata133 will work on
    ata100 hardware no problem. ATA66 100 and 133 use the 80 connector cable

    USB 2.0 hard drive enclosures are nice, but you need to load up a dos
    driver to get usb2.0 speed. I forget if the K7S5A gives you a choice of a
    USB drive in the boot menu, someone hopefully can confirm that.

    There is also the option to use special software from the hard drive maker
    that allows you to use larger drives on older bioses. Sadly, this
    solution has a reputation of being flakey, and is not recommended.

    That leaves my original solution, the PCI IDE card. You can get one that
    autoboots the drive from the card, which allows you to free up the 60 for
    other purposes, Only downsides is it is $20, and it takes up a PCI slot,
    but you got tons of those.

    Brian Campbell, Oct 22, 2005
  10. Robert Stewart

    Mick Sitton Guest

    Rubbish, my Maxtor ATA133 bursts @ 120MB/s

    , so there is no penalty with ata100, ata133 will work on
    > ata100 hardware no problem. ATA66 100 and 133 use the 80 connector cable
    >
    > USB 2.0 hard drive enclosures are nice, but you need to load up a dos
    > driver to get usb2.0 speed.

    Again rubbish, try buying a modren mobo' with decent USB support (like my
    661FX-M)

    Mick Sitton, Oct 22, 2005
  11. Robert Stewart

    uddarts Guest

    Re: Re: K7S5A Pro and New Hard Drive

    "" wrote:
    > My 2 extra cents. ATA133 is a marketing term, based on no
    > real
    > performance boost. Truth be know, it is the rare drive that
    > can surpass
    > even ata66 speed, so there is no penalty with ata100, ata133
    > will work on
    > ata100 hardware no problem. ATA66 100 and 133 use the 80
    > connector cable
    >
    > USB 2.0 hard drive enclosures are nice, but you need to load
    > up a dos
    > driver to get usb2.0 speed. I forget if the K7S5A gives you a
    > choice of a
    > USB drive in the boot menu, someone hopefully can confirm
    > that.
    >
    > There is also the option to use special software from the hard
    > drive maker
    > that allows you to use larger drives on older bioses. Sadly,
    > this
    > solution has a reputation of being flakey, and is not
    > recommended.
    >
    > That leaves my original solution, the PCI IDE card. You can
    > get one that
    > autoboots the drive from the card, which allows you to free up
    > the 60 for
    > other purposes, Only downsides is it is $20, and it takes up
    > a PCI slot,
    > but you got tons of those.
    >

    > vincenzo musico () wrote:
    > : you should also consider an external hd enclousure they sell
    > for as little
    > : as $30 at new egg .com and they work with usb2, so you can keep the
    > : secondary hard drive and have an external drive.

    any bios written in 2003 or after should have 48 lba. make sure you
    get the pro bios! :D i have the cheepo bios on my pro.

    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ecsweb/index.aspx?MenuID=35&LanID=0

    http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/k7s5abios/cheepobios.htm

    top of page OC 030811: link also covers the 48 lba question.
    http://p199.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm6.showMessage?topicID=1205.topic

    http://www.48bitlba.com/issues.htm

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/K7S5A-Pro-Hard-Drive-ftopict63842.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=321005
    uddarts, Oct 23, 2005
  12. Re: Re: K7S5A Pro and New Hard Drive

    Well, judging from the information here and what I have been able to find on
    the internet, it seems that this board is too limiting for the 300GB drive
    that I was wanting to use. I have been wanting a good reason to go ahead
    and upgrade the board and the processor. I think that I might go ahead and
    move up to a ASUS mobo with a AMD 64 bit processor and then go for the
    larger drive. I would like to thank everyone for the information and help.

    "uddarts" <> wrote in message
    > "" wrote:
    > > My 2 extra cents. ATA133 is a marketing term, based on no
    > > real
    > > performance boost. Truth be know, it is the rare drive that
    > > can surpass
    > > even ata66 speed, so there is no penalty with ata100, ata133
    > > will work on
    > > ata100 hardware no problem. ATA66 100 and 133 use the 80
    > > connector cable
    > >
    > > USB 2.0 hard drive enclosures are nice, but you need to load
    > > up a dos
    > > driver to get usb2.0 speed. I forget if the K7S5A gives you a
    > > choice of a
    > > USB drive in the boot menu, someone hopefully can confirm
    > > that.
    > >
    > > There is also the option to use special software from the hard
    > > drive maker
    > > that allows you to use larger drives on older bioses. Sadly,
    > > this
    > > solution has a reputation of being flakey, and is not
    > > recommended.
    > >
    > > That leaves my original solution, the PCI IDE card. You can
    > > get one that
    > > autoboots the drive from the card, which allows you to free up
    > > the 60 for
    > > other purposes, Only downsides is it is $20, and it takes up
    > > a PCI slot,
    > > but you got tons of those.
    > >

    > > vincenzo musico () wrote:
    > > : you should also consider an external hd enclousure they sell
    > > for as little
    > > : as $30 at new egg .com and they work with usb2, so you can keep the
    > > : secondary hard drive and have an external drive.

    > any bios written in 2003 or after should have 48 lba. make sure you
    > get the pro bios! :D i have the cheepo bios on my pro.
    >
    > http://www.ecs.com.tw/ecsweb/index.aspx?MenuID=35&LanID=0
    >
    > http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/k7s5abios/cheepobios.htm
    >
    > top of page OC 030811: link also covers the 48 lba question.

    http://p199.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm6.showMessage?topicID=1205.topic

    > http://www.48bitlba.com/issues.htm
    >
    > ud
    >
    > --