k7s5a pro hard drive query

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Rob Latus, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Rob Latus

    Rob Latus Guest

    Hello all,

    i have had one of these boards for about 8 months and not really come
    accross any problems - until now

    I recently purchased a Western Digital 80Gb drive with udma 100 and 8Mb
    cache.

    I was wanting to use this as a master and then slave in my old smasung 40Gb
    drive, which is also udma 100 but only a 2Mb cache.

    The problem is that i cannot get these two drives to work together. yet
    seperatley they seem to be fine.

    If i put them both in my system all appears fine and then the whole thing
    locks up, this can be anything from 5minutes to hours later. Sometimes the
    lock up is accompanied by a blue screen and an error report but not always.
    Then the only way to restart the pc is after a reset of the bios. I have
    tried several bioses.

    I have noticed also that my 80Gb drive is detected ok in my bios (latest
    honeyx bios) however the parameters that are detected ie the number of
    cylinders etc does not match what the Western Digital specs are for the
    drive, it does seem to run fine though.

    Any advice / help is really appreciated on this one.

    Rob

    Rob Latus, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Rob Latus

    Smoker Guest

    "Rob Latus" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > i have had one of these boards for about 8 months and not really come
    > accross any problems - until now
    >
    > I recently purchased a Western Digital 80Gb drive with udma 100 and 8Mb
    > cache.
    >
    > I was wanting to use this as a master and then slave in my old smasung

    40Gb
    > drive, which is also udma 100 but only a 2Mb cache.
    >
    > The problem is that i cannot get these two drives to work together. yet
    > seperatley they seem to be fine.
    >
    > If i put them both in my system all appears fine and then the whole thing
    > locks up, this can be anything from 5minutes to hours later. Sometimes the
    > lock up is accompanied by a blue screen and an error report but not

    always.
    > Then the only way to restart the pc is after a reset of the bios. I have
    > tried several bioses.
    >
    > I have noticed also that my 80Gb drive is detected ok in my bios (latest
    > honeyx bios) however the parameters that are detected ie the number of
    > cylinders etc does not match what the Western Digital specs are for the
    > drive, it does seem to run fine though.
    >
    > Any advice / help is really appreciated on this one.

    Put your drives on the same IDE channel. Usually putting the WD jumper on CS
    (cable select) works best and I'd do the same with your Samsung (you may
    have to try different settings or using no jumper(s) at all.

    Commonly WD drives have a detection problem and when nf2 boards came out the
    fix was to cut the first two wires in your IDE cable. Just an example of how
    WD drives can be different or difficult.

    It's common with K7S5A to not get the cyclinders, etc. correct. It may also
    detect the drive as UDMA 5 on the first POST screen then report PIO Mode 4
    on the next screen. It's disturbing but doesn't seem to affect the drive
    operation any.

    If you're using a minimal or generic power supply, adding a new drive may be
    pulling it over the edge. This board is very demanding when it comes to how
    it wants it's power supplied. 300W PSUs aren't usually good enough.

    Smoker, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Rob Latus

    Rob Latus Guest

    That was one of my first suspicions so i got a q-tec 550w psu and it has
    made no difference.

    The rest of the system is

    Xp200 + not overclocked at all
    Crucial 512mb ddr pc 2100
    Panasonic DVD Ram
    Phillips CD RW
    GeForce 3 Ti 250 video card
    Fire wire card
    Wireless lan card
    Broadband Modem
    Floppy drive

    Just trying the hdd's on seperate ide channels with each one having either
    the dvd or the cd as a slave but won't this slow my drives and system down
    this way? it seems a lot slower booting.

    Rob Latus, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Rob Latus

    Rob Latus Guest

    i have tried the drives as masters with a cd or dvd off each as a slave and
    still the same problem.

    maybe i should buy a new motherboard but i will be dissapointed if that is
    the case.

    Rob Latus, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Rob Latus

    Ski Guest

    You DID remember to jumper the drives before you installed them, didn't you?

    And they're all 80 wire cables, no?

    Cable Select...fuggetaboutit, it's caused me more problems than a manual
    config...go in the BIOS and set all the drives by hand, no auto config.
    The less stuff the machine's gotta look for, the better.

    AND, I've had HD problems that I've fixed by NOT daisy chaining HD's power
    supply cables...each one gets its own.

    When all else fails,

    http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

    Ski
    "The only way to find out how far is too far...
    is to go there"
    (remove spleen to e-mail)

    Ski, Jan 21, 2004
  6. Rob Latus

    Rob Latus Guest

    I am certain i have set the jumpers correctly. Not really tried the cable
    select yet.

    I have changed the settings in the bios from auto to user for the hard
    drives.

    Not tried the power cable tip yet. may try that tomorrow.

    I am fast running out of ideas and i think a new motherboard may be the only
    way to go.

    Rob Latus, Jan 21, 2004
  7. Rob Latus

    Ski Guest

    >Not tried the power cable tip yet. may try that tomorrow.
    >
    >I am fast running out of ideas and i think a new motherboard may be the only
    >way to go.

    http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

    Go there and ask BEFORE you shell out for a new mobo...if these folks can't
    come up with an answer...buy a MSI board, I only use Elite when the customers
    are too cheap for the GOOD STUFF, and have old pc133 RAM they want me to
    use...LOL!

    AND, there's THREE ways to jumper that WD800JB...NO jumpers, which works on
    mine as a master w/ slave, and the MASTER W/ SLAVE setting, which appears on
    the drive label...and CS.

    Remember, with CS, ALL your drives will (probably) have to be jumpered CS.

    Ski, Jan 21, 2004
  8. Rob Latus

    James Guest

    I posted the same sort of detection problem a few weeks ago. I'll give you
    a $50 solution: buy another motherboard.

    I tried 2 sets of cables. Different IDE channels. All jumper settings.
    k7s5a would not recognize my 40GB drive. Spend the money and save the
    frustration.

    So fun

    James, Jan 23, 2004