    better one.
    any help from the wise guys?
    TIA

    bardeban, Oct 7, 2007

  2. bardeban

    Paul Guest

    bardeban wrote:
    > When I boot the board with updated BIOS, the board reports the CPU as XP
    > 2000+, but my CPU is Athlon 2800+ is there anything I am missing in the
    > bios setup? I personally think it might be the fan on the cpu, maybe I
    > need a better one.
    > any help from the wise guys?
    > TIA

    That is a 166Mhz (FSB333) processor being run at 133MHz (FSB266).
    If the motherboard and chipset were capable of it, you'd go into
    the BIOS and turn up the CPU clock.

    (Table of Athlons...)
    http://web.archive.org/web/20031018050306/http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm

    2800+ 2083MHZ = 166 * X, X = 12.5

    2000+ 1667MHz = 133 * 12.5

    So the multiplier of your processor is 12.5, and changing the clock
    from 133 to 166, gets it running at 2083MHz. Then it has a P.R. rating
    of 2800+.

    If you motherboard cannot make it to 166MHz safely, then you'd have
    to find a way to modify the multiplier. And some processors are locked,
    so even if the BIOS has a multiplier option (not all do), the processor
    may prevent it from working.

    Without tricks, the best processor for a board limited to FSB266,
    would be a 2600+ (looking in the table above, it is the fastest 133Mhz
    processor). But even when they were available, those were pretty
    rare.

    Finding a motherboard that supports FSB333 at least, would be one solution.
    My Nforce2 board goes to FSB400, so that is an example. There are also
    several VIA KT family chipsets that can handle the higher FSB values.

    This board on Newegg, is one of the last S462 boards they have for sale.
    This would work. RAM type on this board, is DDR.

    PC CHIPS M848A (V5.0) A (462) SiS 746FX full sized ATX motherboard $50
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813185074

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 7, 2007

  3. bardeban

    bardeban Guest

    I did that but the board doesn't boot.
    I set the bus speed to 166MHz and memory speed to 133MHz but it never booted
    to new setting.
    one question here, I am testing this board with 64MB PC 100, anything wrong
    with that?

    bardeban, Oct 7, 2007
  4. bardeban

    Paul Guest

    bardeban wrote:
    > I did that but the board doesn't boot.
    > I set the bus speed to 166MHz and memory speed to 133MHz but it never
    > booted to new setting.
    > one question here, I am testing this board with 64MB PC 100, anything
    > wrong with that?

    If you have PC100 RAM, a lot of your setting options are going to be
    running it at 133MHz or higher. So your RAM is a potential issue right
    away.

    Apparently there is something called "HoneyX" hacked BIOS. The HoneyX
    gives intermediate frequencies ? I see mention of 150/150 being the
    fastest you can select (because 150/4 = 37.5 and that is the max for
    the PCI bus you can reasonably expect to work). But expecting your
    PC100 RAM to run at 150MHz, is stretching things a bit.

    Plenty has been written about the K7S5A, so if you Google on the
    subject, you're bound to find some opinions. Personally, if I
    had your processor, and wanted to get the rated speed, I'd just
    pick up a $50 motherboard, a $30 stick of DDR RAM, and put the
    processor into a motherboard that really supports 166MHz.

    But if you're determined to spend zero on this project, there are
    always "wire tricks", bridge mods, hacked BIOS, you name it.
    Experiments galore, until you kill the thing.

    "Wire tricks" are for motherboards that don't support setting the
    multiplier, but you know the multiplier is not locked. This web
    page shows how to insert wires in the S462 socket, to set the
    multiplier. And no, I didn't have the guts to do this with my
    board :) Before doing this, you check the date code on your
    processor, to see if it is one of the locked ones or not.

    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

    You could also just leave it alone, and just use the board
    the way it is.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 8, 2007
  5. bardeban

    bardeban Guest

    Hi Paul:
    I tested my CPU/board with 256MB DDR2100 but it didn't boot.
    The latest bios that I upgraded on this board and it is in ECS website is
    dated at Aug-2003
    On the bios there are 3 different set up for CPU and memory
    1-100/100
    2-133/133
    3-166/133
    Since my board is 333MHz FSB, I must select the last one, but the board
    won't boot, I think I need a bios upgrade again! but where do I get it when
    ECS site don't have it??
    Honeyx is not a bad idea but only 150MHz?would be my last option.

    bardeban, Oct 11, 2007
  6. bardeban

    Kyle Guest

    I have 2 of these boards, they are 133/266 MHz FSB boards, most will
    not boot above 150 MHz FSB, I do not understand what you are trying to
    accomplish, the chipset will not work at FSB speeds above about 140
    MHz or so.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Oct 11, 2007
  7. bardeban

    Buffalo Guest

    "bardeban" <> wrote in message
    > When I boot the board with updated BIOS, the board reports the CPU as XP
    > 2000+, but my CPU is Athlon 2800+ is there anything I am missing in the

    bios
    > setup? I personally think it might be the fan on the cpu, maybe I need a
    > better one.
    > any help from the wise guys?
    > TIA
    >

    > --

    You might be able to use a program such as SpeedFan to increase the FSB once
    the computer is booted up.
    Make sure your ram can take the speed increase.

    Buffalo, Dec 23, 2007