K7S5A w/ATI AIW RAD 8500 - DVD Playback sucks

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Eric Wolfe, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Eric Wolfe

    Eric Wolfe Guest

    Using W2KP with 256MB, a 1500+ Athlon, ATI AIW RAD 8500 w/128MB with
    Firewire and Promise 133 PCI cards.

    I pop in a DVD and the ATI player starts up but the image is very distorted
    and snowy and the sound out of sync. The DVD plays a few seconds of the
    first chapter and then stops. I have enabled DMA on the NEC 1300A to no
    avail. Worked fine on the same machine and same hardware under XP but
    trying it with W2KP has been successful. Any ideas on troubleshooting? I'd
    hate to have to go back to "ET PHONE HOME" XP!!!!

    TIA,

    Eric

    1. Advertising

  2. Eric Wolfe

    Eric Wolfe Guest

    Hate to add to my own question. I feel I pushed my luck. Just before this
    problem I was marvelling at how well the K7S5A has worked under both WIN98
    and XP with lots of different cards and software (makes Abit and Gigabyte
    look amateurish). That will teach me to marvel without keeping my fingers
    crossed!+

    Anyway, more data: Changing aperture from 64Mb to 128Mb helped somewhat
    (found that suggestion in Google). VOB files played from the 250GB drive on
    the 133 Promise controller do not exhibit these problems (Drive is a NEC
    1300A DVD+-RW on the built-in IDE 2 controller. Not sure if it's master or
    slave, but it's the only drive on the (40 conductor) cable. Gonna
    Sandra-ize the unit now and see what the various benchmarks are. Sounds to
    me like the DVD isn't putting data on the bus fast enough. Might switch it
    to the free port on the Promise controller or disconnect the Promise
    completely just to see if anything changes.

    Eric

    "Eric Wolfe" <> wrote in message
    > Using W2KP with 256MB, a 1500+ Athlon, ATI AIW RAD 8500 w/128MB with
    > Firewire and Promise 133 PCI cards.
    >
    > I pop in a DVD and the ATI player starts up but the image is very

    distorted
    > and snowy and the sound out of sync. The DVD plays a few seconds of the
    > first chapter and then stops. I have enabled DMA on the NEC 1300A to no
    > avail. Worked fine on the same machine and same hardware under XP but
    > trying it with W2KP has been successful. Any ideas on troubleshooting?

    I'd
    > hate to have to go back to "ET PHONE HOME" XP!!!!
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Eric

    1. Advertising

  3. Shep©

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:13:34 -0400, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Eric Wolfe"
    <> wrote :

    >Hate to add to my own question. I feel I pushed my luck. Just before this
    >problem I was marvelling at how well the K7S5A has worked under both WIN98
    >and XP with lots of different cards and software (makes Abit and Gigabyte
    >look amateurish). That will teach me to marvel without keeping my fingers
    >crossed!+
    >
    >Anyway, more data: Changing aperture from 64Mb to 128Mb helped somewhat
    >(found that suggestion in Google). VOB files played from the 250GB drive on
    >the 133 Promise controller do not exhibit these problems (Drive is a NEC
    >1300A DVD+-RW on the built-in IDE 2 controller. Not sure if it's master or
    >slave, but it's the only drive on the (40 conductor) cable. Gonna
    >Sandra-ize the unit now and see what the various benchmarks are. Sounds to
    >me like the DVD isn't putting data on the bus fast enough. Might switch it
    >to the free port on the Promise controller or disconnect the Promise
    >completely just to see if anything changes.
    >
    >Eric

    This would make me suspect the video card or it's drivers?

    >"Eric Wolfe" <> wrote in message
    >> Using W2KP with 256MB, a 1500+ Athlon, ATI AIW RAD 8500 w/128MB with
    >> Firewire and Promise 133 PCI cards.
    >>
    >> I pop in a DVD and the ATI player starts up but the image is very

    >distorted
    >> and snowy and the sound out of sync. The DVD plays a few seconds of the
    >> first chapter and then stops. I have enabled DMA on the NEC 1300A to no
    >> avail. Worked fine on the same machine and same hardware under XP but
    >> trying it with W2KP has been successful. Any ideas on troubleshooting?

    >I'd
    >> hate to have to go back to "ET PHONE HOME" XP!!!!
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Eric

  4. Eric Wolfe

    Eric Wolfe Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message

    > >Anyway, more data: Changing aperture from 64Mb to 128Mb helped somewhat
    > >(found that suggestion in Google). VOB files played from the 250GB drive

    on
    > >the 133 Promise controller do not exhibit these problems (Drive is a NEC
    > >1300A DVD+-RW on the built-in IDE 2 controller. Not sure if it's master

    or
    > >slave, but it's the only drive on the (40 conductor) cable. Gonna
    > >Sandra-ize the unit now and see what the various benchmarks are. Sounds

    > >me like the DVD isn't putting data on the bus fast enough. Might switch

    it
    > >to the free port on the Promise controller or disconnect the Promise
    > >completely just to see if anything changes.
    > >
    > >Eric

    > This would make me suspect the video card or it's drivers?

    ATI video drivers are ALWAYS suspect, IMHO, but the funny part is that it
    reads VOBs off the hard disk that have been ripped by DVD Decrypter just
    fine. Now, that could be because the decoded/decryption has already been
    done and the load on the CPU is lower or it could be any number of other
    things. I am going to try a different DVD drive to see if that's the
    problem. Disconnecting the drives connected to the Promise 133 made no
    difference, although to be sure I should have jacked the card out of the
    machine. I have not yet tried to load Decrypter on this incarnation. It
    ran well under XP although I was not ever able to even get the DVD player to
    install on that OS. I suspect you may be right in the analysis of the video
    card drivers - maybe it's time to visit ATI's site for updates.

    The DVD program is bundled with the ATI AIW 8500. If I yank it out, the DVD
    player won't work so it's hard to investigate the options if it is the card
    or the drivers. I just benchmarked the machine with Sandra 2004 and nothing
    unusual showed up. The DVD benchmarks looked a little low but not unusably
    low . . .

    Thanks,

    Eric