K8n Neo 2 Network adapter problem

Discussion in 'MSI' started by xyz, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. xyz

    xyz Guest

    I have a K8n Neo2 Platinum. I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows XP
    onto a new hard drive and I'm not able to get the onboard network adapter
    working.

    I can't seem to find the original install disk for this motherboard.

    I downloaded and installed the most current system drivers from MSI.

    I know the BIOS is set correctly and the adapter is operable because it
    works fine when I boot from my old hard drive.

    On the new hard drive, in device manager, the network adapter is listed
    under "other devices" and has no driver installed.

    The driver package clearly mentions Ethernet and has a check mark to
    indicate that it is chosen for install but I don't know why a driver isn't
    being installed.

    I'm fairly computer savvy but I suck when it comes to network problems.

    Does anyone have any insight for me? Please help

    Thank You
    xyz, Dec 12, 2006

  2. xyz

    Folk Guest

    On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:50:10 -0500, "xyz" <> wrote:

    >I have a K8n Neo2 Platinum. I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows XP
    >onto a new hard drive and I'm not able to get the onboard network adapter
    >working.
    >

    >I can't seem to find the original install disk for this motherboard.
    >

    >I downloaded and installed the most current system drivers from MSI.
    >

    >I know the BIOS is set correctly and the adapter is operable because it
    >works fine when I boot from my old hard drive.
    >

    >On the new hard drive, in device manager, the network adapter is listed
    >under "other devices" and has no driver installed.
    >

    >The driver package clearly mentions Ethernet and has a check mark to
    >indicate that it is chosen for install but I don't know why a driver isn't
    >being installed.
    >

    >I'm fairly computer savvy but I suck when it comes to network problems.
    >

    >Does anyone have any insight for me? Please help

    You might try downloading the chipset drivers directly from Nvidia. I
    think they have a later version.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11
    Folk, Dec 12, 2006

  3. xyz

    xyz Guest

    "Folk" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:50:10 -0500, "xyz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a K8n Neo2 Platinum. I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows
    >>XP
    >>onto a new hard drive and I'm not able to get the onboard network adapter
    >>working.
    >>

    >>I can't seem to find the original install disk for this motherboard.
    >>

    >>I downloaded and installed the most current system drivers from MSI.
    >>

    >>I know the BIOS is set correctly and the adapter is operable because it
    >>works fine when I boot from my old hard drive.
    >>

    >>On the new hard drive, in device manager, the network adapter is listed
    >>under "other devices" and has no driver installed.
    >>

    >>The driver package clearly mentions Ethernet and has a check mark to
    >>indicate that it is chosen for install but I don't know why a driver isn't
    >>being installed.
    >>

    >>I'm fairly computer savvy but I suck when it comes to network problems.
    >>

    >>Does anyone have any insight for me? Please help

    > You might try downloading the chipset drivers directly from Nvidia. I
    > think they have a later version.
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11

    Thanks, I tried that but still no luck.
    xyz, Dec 15, 2006
  4. xyz

    Folk Guest

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:15:03 -0500, "xyz" <> wrote:

    >"Folk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:50:10 -0500, "xyz" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a K8n Neo2 Platinum. I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows
    >>>XP
    >>>onto a new hard drive and I'm not able to get the onboard network adapter
    >>>working.
    >>>

    >>>I can't seem to find the original install disk for this motherboard.
    >>>

    >>>I downloaded and installed the most current system drivers from MSI.
    >>>

    >>>I know the BIOS is set correctly and the adapter is operable because it
    >>>works fine when I boot from my old hard drive.
    >>>

    >>>On the new hard drive, in device manager, the network adapter is listed
    >>>under "other devices" and has no driver installed.
    >>>

    >>>The driver package clearly mentions Ethernet and has a check mark to
    >>>indicate that it is chosen for install but I don't know why a driver isn't
    >>>being installed.
    >>>

    >>>I'm fairly computer savvy but I suck when it comes to network problems.
    >>>

    >>>Does anyone have any insight for me? Please help

    >> You might try downloading the chipset drivers directly from Nvidia. I
    >> think they have a later version.
    >>
    >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11

    >Thanks, I tried that but still no luck.

    The driver package I linked to is a self-extracting zip. If you
    extract it to a folder, you'll see that it contains an Ethernet folder
    with the drivers for your adapter. Have you tried right-clicking on
    the "other" device and updating the driver by pointing it to the
    extracted Ethernet folder?
    Folk, Dec 15, 2006
  5. xyz

    xyz Guest

    "Folk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:15:03 -0500, "xyz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Folk" <> wrote in message

    >>> You might try downloading the chipset drivers directly from Nvidia. I
    >>> think they have a later version.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11

    >>Thanks, I tried that but still no luck.

    > The driver package I linked to is a self-extracting zip. If you
    > extract it to a folder, you'll see that it contains an Ethernet folder
    > with the drivers for your adapter. Have you tried right-clicking on
    > the "other" device and updating the driver by pointing it to the
    > extracted Ethernet folder?

    Yes, I've tried that too. I doesn't find what it wants in that folder. I
    even copied the driver being used for this network adapter on the old
    harddrive and pasted it into the new drive's windows/system32/drivers
    folder. Then I tried updating the driver by directing it to the one I had
    just pasted and still it doesn't seem to allow me to install anything.
    xyz, Dec 15, 2006
  6. xyz

    Folk Guest

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:17:25 -0500, "xyz" <> wrote:

    >"Folk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:15:03 -0500, "xyz" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Folk" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thanks, I tried that but still no luck.

    >> The driver package I linked to is a self-extracting zip. If you
    >> extract it to a folder, you'll see that it contains an Ethernet folder
    >> with the drivers for your adapter. Have you tried right-clicking on
    >> the "other" device and updating the driver by pointing it to the
    >> extracted Ethernet folder?

    >Yes, I've tried that too. I doesn't find what it wants in that folder. I
    >even copied the driver being used for this network adapter on the old
    >harddrive and pasted it into the new drive's windows/system32/drivers
    >folder. Then I tried updating the driver by directing it to the one I had
    >just pasted and still it doesn't seem to allow me to install anything.

    That's weird. I'm out ideas...
    Folk, Dec 16, 2006