K8N NEO4 Plat (MS7125): Odd Problem

Discussion in 'MSI' started by mxh, Jul 5, 2007.

  1. mxh

    mxh Guest

    Problem:

    System will not start. Pushing power button results in momentary (about 1
    sec.) movement in case fans. D-bracket flashes all 4 LEDs and goes out.
    Front LED's (power & HD) flash 1sec, then off, then power LED flashes on &
    off at 2 second intervals (on 2sec, off 2 sec). Unplug power supply. Turn
    switch off. LED goes on & off 2 or 3 more times. If I don't unplug the PS,
    the power LED will continue flashing as described. At this posting, it has
    been doing so for about an hour. Plug PS back in, press power, begins same
    cycle as described.

    -------------------------------------
    Events preceding problem:

    Pioneer AO10 DVD burner went bad (ceased reading discs). Replaced with Lite
    on DVD/CD player (had on hand).

    Immediatley after replacing the above drive, the problem began. I unplugged
    the PS and checked connections for power supply at mother board (both molex
    plugs). Plugged PS back in. I believe I had to unplug the PS 2 or 3 times
    and finally the system started.

    System went into hibernation that night. This morning, the system powered
    back up out of hibernation fine. This afternoon, I shut the system down to
    blow dust out of the CPU heat sink. The problem began again and has not
    started.

    -------------------------------------

    Diagnostic efforts:

    Unplugged system, let sit and plugged back in.
    Removed and reset RAM chips
    Removed & reseated CPU.
    Removed & reseated PS molex connectors (both power connectors)
    Unplugged DVD drive (data & power)
    Unplugged a few of the SATA drives.
    Removed all USB devices.

    I haven't tried a different PS because I don't have one on hand and would
    like other opinions before I start spending money.

    My specs are below.

    Thanks for any help,

    mxh

    MS-7125
    4400x2
    4 Seagate SATA
    xfi plat
    2 GB Corsair DDR
    ATI 1800XL
    Liteon DVD/CD Player
    Antec TruePower 2.0 550w

    mxh, Jul 5, 2007

  2. mxh

    GT Guest

    "mxh" <> wrote in message
    > Problem:
    >
    > System will not start. Pushing power button results in momentary (about 1
    > sec.) movement in case fans. D-bracket flashes all 4 LEDs and goes out.
    > Front LED's (power & HD) flash 1sec, then off, then power LED flashes on &
    > off at 2 second intervals (on 2sec, off 2 sec). Unplug power supply. Turn
    > switch off. LED goes on & off 2 or 3 more times. If I don't unplug the PS,
    > the power LED will continue flashing as described. At this posting, it has
    > been doing so for about an hour. Plug PS back in, press power, begins same
    > cycle as described.
    >
    > -------------------------------------
    > Events preceding problem:
    >
    > Pioneer AO10 DVD burner went bad (ceased reading discs). Replaced with
    > Lite on DVD/CD player (had on hand).
    >
    > Immediatley after replacing the above drive, the problem began. I
    > unplugged the PS and checked connections for power supply at mother board
    > (both molex plugs). Plugged PS back in. I believe I had to unplug the PS 2
    > or 3 times and finally the system started.
    >
    > System went into hibernation that night. This morning, the system powered
    > back up out of hibernation fine. This afternoon, I shut the system down to
    > blow dust out of the CPU heat sink. The problem began again and has not
    > started.
    >
    > -------------------------------------
    >
    > Diagnostic efforts:
    >
    > Unplugged system, let sit and plugged back in.
    > Removed and reset RAM chips
    > Removed & reseated CPU.
    > Removed & reseated PS molex connectors (both power connectors)
    > Unplugged DVD drive (data & power)
    > Unplugged a few of the SATA drives.
    > Removed all USB devices.
    >
    > I haven't tried a different PS because I don't have one on hand and would
    > like other opinions before I start spending money.
    >
    > My specs are below.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,

    I would suspect CPU, Motherboard or PSU.

    Can't tell from above, but have you tested to see if you can get to a BIOS
    screen with just CPU, 1 stick of RAM and graphics?

    Do you have an other board or processor to eliminate both/either as faulty?

    GT, Jul 5, 2007

  3. mxh

    mxh Guest

    "GT" <> wrote in message
    > "mxh" <> wrote in message
    >> Problem:
    >>
    >> System will not start. Pushing power button results in momentary (about 1
    >> sec.) movement in case fans. D-bracket flashes all 4 LEDs and goes out.
    >> Front LED's (power & HD) flash 1sec, then off, then power LED flashes on
    >> & off at 2 second intervals (on 2sec, off 2 sec). Unplug power supply.
    >> Turn switch off. LED goes on & off 2 or 3 more times. If I don't unplug
    >> the PS, the power LED will continue flashing as described. At this
    >> posting, it has been doing so for about an hour. Plug PS back in, press
    >> power, begins same cycle as described.
    >>
    >> -------------------------------------
    >> Events preceding problem:
    >>
    >> Pioneer AO10 DVD burner went bad (ceased reading discs). Replaced with
    >> Lite on DVD/CD player (had on hand).
    >>
    >> Immediatley after replacing the above drive, the problem began. I
    >> unplugged the PS and checked connections for power supply at mother board
    >> (both molex plugs). Plugged PS back in. I believe I had to unplug the PS
    >> 2 or 3 times and finally the system started.
    >>
    >> System went into hibernation that night. This morning, the system powered
    >> back up out of hibernation fine. This afternoon, I shut the system down
    >> to blow dust out of the CPU heat sink. The problem began again and has
    >> not started.
    >>
    >> -------------------------------------
    >>
    >> Diagnostic efforts:
    >>
    >> Unplugged system, let sit and plugged back in.
    >> Removed and reset RAM chips
    >> Removed & reseated CPU.
    >> Removed & reseated PS molex connectors (both power connectors)
    >> Unplugged DVD drive (data & power)
    >> Unplugged a few of the SATA drives.
    >> Removed all USB devices.
    >>
    >> I haven't tried a different PS because I don't have one on hand and would
    >> like other opinions before I start spending money.
    >>
    >> My specs are below.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,

    > I would suspect CPU, Motherboard or PSU.
    >
    > Can't tell from above, but have you tested to see if you can get to a BIOS
    > screen with just CPU, 1 stick of RAM and graphics?
    >
    > Do you have an other board or processor to eliminate both/either as
    > faulty?

    Hi GT, thanks for the response.

    I suspect the same devices you list, but want to start with the PS. I have a
    PS tester overnighting from Newegg, so I will at least be able to eliminate
    that. Unfortunately, I don't have another AMD mainboard handy (other than
    an old MSI NEO2, which is in another machine...I hate to rip both machines
    apart and rebuild just to verify that). I guess I'll wait for the tester and
    see. I also may post in the MSI forum. I'll post back here with what I do or
    don't find.

    THanks!
    mxh

    mxh, Jul 5, 2007
  4. mxh

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:29:08 -0500, "mxh" <>
    wrote:

    >Problem:
    >
    > System will not start. Pushing power button results in momentary (about 1
    >sec.) movement in case fans. D-bracket flashes all 4 LEDs and goes out.
    >Front LED's (power & HD) flash 1sec, then off, then power LED flashes on &
    >off at 2 second intervals (on 2sec, off 2 sec). Unplug power supply. Turn
    >switch off. LED goes on & off 2 or 3 more times. If I don't unplug the PS,
    >the power LED will continue flashing as described. At this posting, it has
    >been doing so for about an hour. Plug PS back in, press power, begins same
    >cycle as described.
    >
    >-------------------------------------
    >Events preceding problem:
    >
    >Pioneer AO10 DVD burner went bad (ceased reading discs). Replaced with Lite
    >on DVD/CD player (had on hand).
    >
    >Immediatley after replacing the above drive, the problem began. I unplugged
    >the PS and checked connections for power supply at mother board (both molex
    >plugs). Plugged PS back in. I believe I had to unplug the PS 2 or 3 times
    >and finally the system started.

    Since you'd just been in the system I would recheck all
    cables, cards, memory, etc - just in case something became
    loose/etc, though below you do describe some of this, maybe
    everything.

    >System went into hibernation that night. This morning, the system powered
    >back up out of hibernation fine. This afternoon, I shut the system down to
    >blow dust out of the CPU heat sink. The problem began again and has not
    >started.
    >
    >-------------------------------------
    >
    >Diagnostic efforts:
    >
    >Unplugged system, let sit and plugged back in.
    >Removed and reset RAM chips
    >Removed & reseated CPU.
    >Removed & reseated PS molex connectors (both power connectors)
    >Unplugged DVD drive (data & power)
    >Unplugged a few of the SATA drives.
    >Removed all USB devices.
    >
    >I haven't tried a different PS because I don't have one on hand and would
    >like other opinions before I start spending money.
    >
    >MS-7125
    >4400x2
    >4 Seagate SATA
    >xfi plat
    >2 GB Corsair DDR
    >ATI 1800XL
    >Liteon DVD/CD Player
    >Antec TruePower 2.0 550w

    Random guess is that your PSU has failed capacitors in it.
    How old is it? It's just funny/odd that this happened to
    coincide with putting the new drive in. Above when you
    wrote "unplugged ... drive" I assume that to mean you had
    left the drive unplugged when you tried to start the system
    again, correct?

    Try clearing CMOS (with AC power disconnected), by jumper or
    pull the battery for a few minutes. If that doesn't help
    you might strip system down to bare essentials (CPU,
    heatsink/fan, 1 memory module, video) and retry it just
    trying to get it to post then adding things back, but this
    could lead to a false conclusion as well, because as you add
    things back at some point it could be too much of a load for
    the PSU (if it were failing gradually, it may be more stable
    with a lower load on it) making it seem like adding part X
    made the difference when it could instead be that it was the
    amount of power part X used. I may be on a tangent too much
    here, talking about the PSU as there might be a board
    problem like ESD damage but I would suspect PSU.

    You could unplug it from AC for several minutes then open,
    inspect it... the caps would be near the exiting wiring
    harness, usually.

    kony, Jul 5, 2007
  5. mxh

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:22:34 -0500, "mxh" <>
    wrote:

    >I suspect the same devices you list, but want to start with the PS. I have a
    >PS tester overnighting from Newegg, so I will at least be able to eliminate
    >that.

    Unfortunately no, a PSU tester can only find certain kinds
    of faults, it can't qualify a PSU as working properly (per
    it's design and specs, nor that it's in a state workable for
    the intended load (system). Using a multimeter to read the
    voltages while it's plugged in and *trying* to power the
    system is the better test.

    kony, Jul 5, 2007
  6. mxh

    mxh Guest

    "GT" <> wrote in message
    > "mxh" <> wrote in message
    >> Problem:
    >>
    >> System will not start. Pushing power button results in momentary (about 1
    >> sec.) movement in case fans. D-bracket flashes all 4 LEDs and goes out.
    >> Front LED's (power & HD) flash 1sec, then off, then power LED flashes on
    >> & off at 2 second intervals (on 2sec, off 2 sec). Unplug power supply.
    >> Turn switch off. LED goes on & off 2 or 3 more times. If I don't unplug
    >> the PS, the power LED will continue flashing as described. At this
    >> posting, it has been doing so for about an hour. Plug PS back in, press
    >> power, begins same cycle as described.
    >>
    >> -------------------------------------
    >> Events preceding problem:
    >>
    >> Pioneer AO10 DVD burner went bad (ceased reading discs). Replaced with
    >> Lite on DVD/CD player (had on hand).
    >>
    >> Immediatley after replacing the above drive, the problem began. I
    >> unplugged the PS and checked connections for power supply at mother board
    >> (both molex plugs). Plugged PS back in. I believe I had to unplug the PS
    >> 2 or 3 times and finally the system started.
    >>
    >> System went into hibernation that night. This morning, the system powered
    >> back up out of hibernation fine. This afternoon, I shut the system down
    >> to blow dust out of the CPU heat sink. The problem began again and has
    >> not started.
    >>
    >> -------------------------------------
    >>
    >> Diagnostic efforts:
    >>
    >> Unplugged system, let sit and plugged back in.
    >> Removed and reset RAM chips
    >> Removed & reseated CPU.
    >> Removed & reseated PS molex connectors (both power connectors)
    >> Unplugged DVD drive (data & power)
    >> Unplugged a few of the SATA drives.
    >> Removed all USB devices.
    >>
    >> I haven't tried a different PS because I don't have one on hand and would
    >> like other opinions before I start spending money.
    >>
    >> My specs are below.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,

    > I would suspect CPU, Motherboard or PSU.
    >
    > Can't tell from above, but have you tested to see if you can get to a BIOS
    > screen with just CPU, 1 stick of RAM and graphics?
    >
    > Do you have an other board or processor to eliminate both/either as
    > faulty?

    Hello again, GT. It turns out it was indeed the PS. Thanks for your input!

    mxh

    mxh, Jul 5, 2007
  7. mxh

    mxh Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:22:34 -0500, "mxh" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I suspect the same devices you list, but want to start with the PS. I have
    >>PS tester overnighting from Newegg, so I will at least be able to
    >>eliminate
    >>that.

    > Unfortunately no, a PSU tester can only find certain kinds
    > of faults, it can't qualify a PSU as working properly (per
    > it's design and specs, nor that it's in a state workable for
    > the intended load (system). Using a multimeter to read the
    > voltages while it's plugged in and *trying* to power the
    > system is the better test.

    Agreed, but my meter happens to be on loan to an employee right now.
    However, the tester did verify the PSU is bad in this case.

    mxh

    mxh, Jul 5, 2007
  8. mxh

    mxh Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:29:08 -0500, "mxh" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Problem:
    >>
    >> System will not start. Pushing power button results in momentary (about 1
    >>sec.) movement in case fans. D-bracket flashes all 4 LEDs and goes out.
    >>Front LED's (power & HD) flash 1sec, then off, then power LED flashes on &
    >>off at 2 second intervals (on 2sec, off 2 sec). Unplug power supply. Turn
    >>switch off. LED goes on & off 2 or 3 more times. If I don't unplug the PS,
    >>the power LED will continue flashing as described. At this posting, it has
    >>been doing so for about an hour. Plug PS back in, press power, begins same
    >>cycle as described.
    >>
    >>-------------------------------------
    >>Events preceding problem:
    >>
    >>Pioneer AO10 DVD burner went bad (ceased reading discs). Replaced with
    >>Lite
    >>on DVD/CD player (had on hand).
    >>
    >>Immediatley after replacing the above drive, the problem began. I
    >>unplugged
    >>the PS and checked connections for power supply at mother board (both
    >>molex
    >>plugs). Plugged PS back in. I believe I had to unplug the PS 2 or 3 times
    >>and finally the system started.

    > Since you'd just been in the system I would recheck all
    > cables, cards, memory, etc - just in case something became
    > loose/etc, though below you do describe some of this, maybe
    > everything.

    Yeah, I didn't mention that in the 'diagnostic efforts' list, but that is
    the fiorst thing I checked.

    >>System went into hibernation that night. This morning, the system powered
    >>back up out of hibernation fine. This afternoon, I shut the system down to
    >>blow dust out of the CPU heat sink. The problem began again and has not
    >>started.
    >>
    >>-------------------------------------
    >>
    >>Diagnostic efforts:
    >>
    >>Unplugged system, let sit and plugged back in.
    >>Removed and reset RAM chips
    >>Removed & reseated CPU.
    >>Removed & reseated PS molex connectors (both power connectors)
    >>Unplugged DVD drive (data & power)
    >>Unplugged a few of the SATA drives.
    >>Removed all USB devices.
    >>
    >>I haven't tried a different PS because I don't have one on hand and would
    >>like other opinions before I start spending money.
    >>
    >>MS-7125
    >>4400x2
    >>4 Seagate SATA
    >>xfi plat
    >>2 GB Corsair DDR
    >>ATI 1800XL
    >>Liteon DVD/CD Player
    >>Antec TruePower 2.0 550w
    >>

    > Random guess is that your PSU has failed capacitors in it.
    > How old is it? It's just funny/odd that this happened to
    > coincide with putting the new drive in. Above when you
    > wrote "unplugged ... drive" I assume that to mean you had
    > left the drive unplugged when you tried to start the system
    > again, correct?

    Correct. Thanks for your input. As I posted in my other response to you, it
    is indeed the PS. I picked up a tester and another PSU (Antec TruePower Trio
    550w) at compusa (whom I hate doing business with, but diodn't have time to
    wait for delivery). All appears well now. It is indeed a coincidence that it
    went out after changing the burner, but after 30 years in the service
    industry, I've seen many such coincidences, although they are still hard to
    accept. Again, thanks for your help.

    mxh

    mxh, Jul 5, 2007
  9. mxh

    mxh Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:29:08 -0500, "mxh" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Problem:
    >>
    >> System will not start. Pushing power button results in momentary...

    Just an update:

    After my last post, I shut the system down to organize wires and plug power
    to the DVD player (I didn't connect that to test the new PS).
    I decided to re-try my pioneer DVD burner, which wouldn't read discs and
    preceded the problems. The Pioneer works great now. I'll be keeping an eye
    on it, but it looks like the PS was the culprit for all the issues.

    Also, in case you're interested, the PS tester showed that the 4 pin voltage
    output was bad.

    Thanks again,
    mxh

    mxh, Jul 5, 2007
  10. mxh

    mxh Guest

    mxh, Jul 5, 2007
  11. mxh

    Roger (K8RI) Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:22:34 -0500, "mxh" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >I suspect the same devices you list, but want to start with the PS. I have a
    >PS tester overnighting from Newegg, so I will at least be able to eliminate
    >that. Unfortunately, I don't have another AMD mainboard handy (other than
    >an old MSI NEO2, which is in another machine...I hate to rip both machines
    >apart and rebuild just to verify that). I guess I'll wait for the tester and

    Do it the way I do. If the PS has the proper connections, just pull it
    out of the one machine, set it on or beside the second. At this point
    all you haveto do is unplug the PS connections to the main board (and
    graphics card if PCIe), plug the test PS in o the board and test. This
    is assuming the connectors are easy to get at.

    Roger (K8RI), Jul 6, 2007