    Its the coolest board/cpu I have built though, CPU no hotter than 28C,

    just got cool and quiet running anyone got any comments on using that with
    audio recording etc.?
    pr, Nov 10, 2006

  2. pr

    Paul Guest

    pr wrote:
    > Just bought one of these, but perhaps bought the wrong ddr400 2x512mb
    > kingmax , machine just keeps locking up with memory speed on auto
    > (200mhz) if I limit it to 166mhz it seems to work ok, is this board that
    > finnicky about ddr400? I see there is only a limited selection of ram
    > certified in the manual (the kingmax I got seems perhaps a later series
    > than the supported one listed in the book) or is it the sempron 3300+
    > that is the problem? (memory controller on chip)
    >
    > I'm guessing it might be more sensitive because of shared graphics memory
    > perhaps?
    >
    > Or could it be the PSU in the case, its an asus tm-581 but PSU doesnt have
    > 24 pin power plug and is only 300w (but it is rated 15a on 12v as
    > specified by mobo manual)
    >
    > Its the coolest board/cpu I have built though, CPU no hotter than 28C,
    >
    > just got cool and quiet running anyone got any comments on using that with
    > audio recording etc.?

    Settings I'd try:

    DDR333, with Command Rate 1T selected
    DDR400, with Command Rate 2T selected

    Check the BIOS, to see if there is a Command Rate option in the
    memory section. If there isn't, then perhaps DDR333 is all you
    are going to get.

    Don't forget to test with memtest86+ (two passes error free)
    and Prime95, to make sure it is really stable.

    If the BIOS has a Vdimm setting, set it to 2.7 volts for DDR. On
    some memory, a little extra voltage aids stability.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Nov 10, 2006

  3. pr

    Paul Guest

    pr wrote:
    > Just bought one of these, but perhaps bought the wrong ddr400 2x512mb
    > kingmax , machine just keeps locking up with memory speed on auto
    > (200mhz) if I limit it to 166mhz it seems to work ok, is this board that
    > finnicky about ddr400? I see there is only a limited selection of ram
    > certified in the manual (the kingmax I got seems perhaps a later series
    > than the supported one listed in the book) or is it the sempron 3300+
    > that is the problem? (memory controller on chip)
    >
    > I'm guessing it might be more sensitive because of shared graphics memory
    > perhaps?
    >
    > Or could it be the PSU in the case, its an asus tm-581 but PSU doesnt have
    > 24 pin power plug and is only 300w (but it is rated 15a on 12v as
    > specified by mobo manual)
    >
    > Its the coolest board/cpu I have built though, CPU no hotter than 28C,
    >
    > just got cool and quiet running anyone got any comments on using that with
    > audio recording etc.?

    A Sempron 3300+ is 62W power. With 90% Vcore conversion efficiency, that
    is about 5.74 amps from +12V. With another 2.5 amps for the basics
    (storage and fans), your 12V @ 15A supply is not in any danger.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 10, 2006