    Bob Petruska Guest

    Anyone know the latest board version? Does it have the good capacitors or
    still the bad ones?
    Bob Petruska, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Bob Petruska

    Lost One Guest

    The one I rec'd from zipzoomfly this week was a 1.12 - no problems with the board so far.
    3200+ proc
    Only two driver issues related one each to SATA setup, and graphics card.

    I'll post those after getting through the group.

    Lost One, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Bob Petruska

    Sarak Guest

    Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
    explain this? Are the boards faulty?

    Sarak, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Bob Petruska

    Ed Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:44:19 -0600, "Sarak" <> wrote:

    >Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
    >explain this? Are the boards faulty?

    Yes, the early boards had bad CAPs and its posted on the Asus site what
    to look for, I don't have the URL sorry.

    I'm looking at the MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R only cause the K8V can't run 3
    sticks of DDR 400 which I need.

    FWIW my friend just built this...,
    MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (K8T800 Chipset)
    Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0GHz/512K)
    Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One Dual Pack
    Running 2.2GHz (220 bus) out of the box at all default voltages.
    paid $550 @ newegg, he's real happy, he had a KT133A/1700+. ;p

    Cheers,
    Ed
    Ed, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Bob Petruska

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, Ed
    <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:44:19 -0600, "Sarak" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
    > >explain this? Are the boards faulty?

    > Yes, the early boards had bad CAPs and its posted on the Asus site what
    > to look for, I don't have the URL sorry.
    >
    > I'm looking at the MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R only cause the K8V can't run 3
    > sticks of DDR 400 which I need.

    Check carefully, that the three slots are not intended for one
    double sided and two single sided sticks. If the chipset only has
    control signals for four banks, it doesn't matter how many slots
    are soldered to the board, you can still only have four banks.

    > FWIW my friend just built this...,
    > MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (K8T800 Chipset)
    > Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0GHz/512K)
    > Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One Dual Pack
    > Running 2.2GHz (220 bus) out of the box at all default voltages.
    > paid $550 @ newegg, he's real happy, he had a KT133A/1700+. ;p
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Ed

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Bob Petruska

    Paul Guest

    In article <NpPZb.5368$>, "Sarak"
    <> wrote:

    > Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
    > explain this? Are the boards faulty?

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=85257

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 21, 2004
  7. Bob Petruska

    Paul Guest

    In article <nospam-2102041801020001@192.168.1.177>,
    (Paul) wrote:

    > In article <>, Ed
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:44:19 -0600, "Sarak" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
    > > >explain this? Are the boards faulty?

    > > Yes, the early boards had bad CAPs and its posted on the Asus site what
    > > to look for, I don't have the URL sorry.
    > >
    > > I'm looking at the MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R only cause the K8V can't run 3
    > > sticks of DDR 400 which I need.

    > Check carefully, that the three slots are not intended for one
    > double sided and two single sided sticks. If the chipset only has
    > control signals for four banks, it doesn't matter how many slots
    > are soldered to the board, you can still only have four banks.
    >

    > > FWIW my friend just built this...,
    > > MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (K8T800 Chipset)
    > > Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0GHz/512K)
    > > Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One Dual Pack
    > > Running 2.2GHz (220 bus) out of the box at all default voltages.
    > > paid $550 @ newegg, he's real happy, he had a KT133A/1700+. ;p
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Ed

    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Sorry. I thought you were referring to the motherboards having a
    different number of DIMM slots or something.

    If you are referring to the "speed table" in the Asus manual,
    that is a function of the processor. See page 16 of the AMD datasheet:

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24659.PDF

    The rules in that table should apply to any motherboard with that
    processor. That is why Asus copied the table into their manual.

    Page 32 of the MSI manual, contains the same table:

    http://download.msi.com.tw/support/mnu_exe/mbd_mnu/E6702v1.1.zip

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Bob Petruska

    Ed Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:29:26 -0500, (Paul) wrote:

    >Sorry. I thought you were referring to the motherboards having a
    >different number of DIMM slots or something.
    >
    >If you are referring to the "speed table" in the Asus manual,
    >that is a function of the processor. See page 16 of the AMD datasheet:
    >
    >http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24659.PDF
    >
    >The rules in that table should apply to any motherboard with that
    >processor. That is why Asus copied the table into their manual.
    >
    >Page 32 of the MSI manual, contains the same table:
    >
    >http://download.msi.com.tw/support/mnu_exe/mbd_mnu/E6702v1.1.zip
    >
    >HTH,
    > Paul

    Paul,
    I have 3 SS DDR 400 sticks,

    the MSI board shows,
    D S S DDR400
    S S S DDR400

    The K8V only shows DDR 333 support for 3 dimms,
    correct me if I am wrong.

    Thanks,
    Ed
    Ed, Feb 22, 2004
  9. Bob Petruska

    Ed Guest

    Barry posted in another thread,
    You need to be aware that an Athlon 64 only supports two memory sticks
    at 400 Mhz, with three it drops to 333 Mhz. Since the memory controller
    is integrated into the processor there's nothing you can do about this
    limitation.

    So I take it 3 SS DDR400 sticks may work on that MSI mobo but will still
    only run at DDR 333 speeds, bummer!

    Cheers,
    Ed
    Ed, Feb 23, 2004
  10. Bob Petruska

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, Ed
    <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:29:26 -0500, (Paul) wrote:
    >

    > >Sorry. I thought you were referring to the motherboards having a
    > >different number of DIMM slots or something.
    > >
    > >If you are referring to the "speed table" in the Asus manual,
    > >that is a function of the processor. See page 16 of the AMD datasheet:
    > >

    >http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24659.PDF
    > >
    > >The rules in that table should apply to any motherboard with that
    > >processor. That is why Asus copied the table into their manual.
    > >
    > >Page 32 of the MSI manual, contains the same table:
    > >
    > >http://download.msi.com.tw/support/mnu_exe/mbd_mnu/E6702v1.1.zip
    > >
    > >HTH,
    > > Paul

    > Paul,
    > I have 3 SS DDR 400 sticks,
    >
    > the MSI board shows,
    > D S S DDR400
    > S S S DDR400
    >
    > The K8V only shows DDR 333 support for 3 dimms,
    > correct me if I am wrong.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed

    You are right. It looks like MSI decided to embellish the table.
    Asus looks closer to the AMD provided table than MSI. (Not that I
    plan on verifying each and every entry - I used to get paid to
    do stuff like that :) The stuff in the MSI table looks like
    things I would try, based on the other entries. For example, if
    a mobo offers "D x D", then a natural assumption is that "S S D"
    or maybe "D S S" would work also. That is why, no matter what
    rules are stated in the table, you won't really know until you
    try it.

    Normally, a company like AMD will provide design rules for
    laying out the board. They will include track dimensions,
    spacing, copper stackup, matching requirement (delta between
    signals), and so on. If both companies follow the same design
    rules, they should have matching RAM population tables.

    And, we all know how the motherboard companies stand by their
    predictions of how many and what type of RAM can be used <VBG>.

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 23, 2004