    upgraded.) Roxio's tech support is the *worst* I have ever seen!

    Thanks!

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Jim

    Ward Taylor Guest

    Hi Jim
    Did they work with roxio before retrospect? I am not using roxio, so I
    can't say for sure, but it might need to have windows' removable storage
    manager running in order to use the drives? That said, retrospect
    automatically shuts down windows removable storage manager and sets it's
    start up type to manual. Just to check, you might start up that service
    and then open roxio and see if it sees your drives.
    Cheers

    Ward Taylor, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi Ward,

    You have been *extremeley* helpful! Thank you very much. I thought I
    was on to something with this, by mistake. I found a page at the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base relating to recording. I enabled recording on
    the properties for the drives, and I changed, what I didn't know at the
    time, was the "Windows Removable Storage Manager" to "automatic."
    Unfortunately it isn't fixed yet, but I think that is on the right
    track. For some reason I am having no problem on this machine, which
    also has Retrospect 7.5 but a different CD-R drive. (Come to think of
    it, perhaps it's the drive model, because the PC-716A on *this* machine
    has the Record box unchecked.) You are helping me to understand this
    more fully. Nevertheless, Roxio 8 *still* does not see the drives. I
    do have them blocked out in Retrospect.

    Thanks again! I think I am getting closer to solving this!

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Installing Nero 7 Ultra "broke" my install of Roxio Media Creator 8.
    NeroCheck changed a bunch of Registry entries so that Roxio could no
    longer find my DVD/RW drives. I had to (a) uninstall Nero 7 Ultra and
    *leave* it off, (b) uninstall Roxio 8, and (c) reinstall Roxio 8. Now
    it is working again. I am out numerous hours, and the cost of Nero 7
    Ultra; but my system is working again.

    Thank Ward Taylor for the help with this solution!

    We Tyan owners need to help each other! :)

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 13, 2006
  5. Jim

    Rob Stow Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Installing Nero 7 Ultra "broke" my install of Roxio Media Creator 8.
    > NeroCheck changed a bunch of Registry entries so that Roxio could no
    > longer find my DVD/RW drives. I had to (a) uninstall Nero 7 Ultra and
    > *leave* it off, (b) uninstall Roxio 8, and (c) reinstall Roxio 8. Now
    > it is working again. I am out numerous hours, and the cost of Nero 7
    > Ultra; but my system is working again.
    >
    > Thank Ward Taylor for the help with this solution!
    >
    > We Tyan owners need to help each other! :)

    This isn't a Tyan issue at all. You installed two conflicting
    software packages - you would have had this problem with any
    motherboard.

    I suspect that if you read the setup instructions for Nero a
    little more carefully you will find something warning you to
    first uninstall or disable things like Roxio.

    Rob Stow, Feb 13, 2006
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Rob,

    You are obviously correct. However, before I identified NeroCheck as a
    source of the problem, I thought that the nForce4 professional chipset
    IDE drivers might be contributing to the problem. Those drivers *are*
    found on the Tyan K8WE (S2895) motherboard, and they do deal with IDE
    differently from the way IDE is handled on other chipsets.

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 14, 2006
  7. I have the same problem - keep getting the NO DRIVE DETECTED with
    Roxio 8, and YES - their support is the absolute WORST ever. I
    downloaded this via the Internet, so afraid to remove and then try to
    re-install. I have a Compaq Presario, Windows XP. I have been on the
    help line with HP and they can't fix it. ROXIO won't reply at ALL.

    Karen Stonier, Apr 2, 2006
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Karen,

    ....and you do *not* have Nero 7 installed? Perhaps a post on the Roxio
    self-help form will be useful. That is how I solved my problem.

    Good luck! :)

    Jim

    Jim, Apr 3, 2006