K9N Platinum dead?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Z24, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. Z24

    Z24 Guest

    I built my pc last August and never had any problem until yesterday
    night.
    This morning I switched it on and I got no video signal, and I think
    the boot process went into some kind of loop because the floppy drive
    was accessed multiple times at a few seconds of interval between each
    access.

    D-Bracket status is: "Decompressing BIOS image to RAM for fast
    booting"
    green green
    red red

    I tried:
    1) removing and reinserting the RAM
    2) removing and reinserting the video card
    3) clearing CMOS pressing the SW2 button on the mobo

    What can I do?
    Should I think my K9N is dead?

    My system is:
    AMD X2 3800+ Windsor - MSI K9N Platinum - Corsair XMS2 2x1GB PC6400
    5-5-5-12 - HD WD2500JS+WD1200JB - dvdrw NEC ND3520 - case Antec
    SLK3000B with 1 Tricool 120 std and 1 Papst 4412 F/2GLL - Sapphire
    Radeon X1300 512 MB - psu Seasonic S12-500 (+3.3v 30A, +5V 30A, +12V1
    17A, +12V2 16A)

    Thanks in advance for any answer

    --
    Z24

    Z24, Jan 15, 2007

  2. Z24

    Grunion Guest

    If you have old wiring, try a different wall outlet and without a power
    strip or surge surpresser.

    Since it doesn't advance past the bios, try replacing the CMOS battery.
    It is a standard battery type available from most department and
    hardware stores. If it fixes it, look for the board being grounded
    against the case. People have reported that sometimes that will drain
    the battery.

    I'd next check out the PSU, even the best can blow out. Does it smell
    burnt? Even if it is running, it may not be proving enough juice.

    - Grun

    Grunion, Jan 15, 2007

  3. Z24

    Z24 Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:50:13 -0500, Grunion wrote:

    >If you have old wiring, try a different wall outlet and without a power
    >strip or surge surpresser.
    >
    >Since it doesn't advance past the bios, try replacing the CMOS battery.
    >It is a standard battery type available from most department and
    >hardware stores. If it fixes it, look for the board being grounded
    >against the case. People have reported that sometimes that will drain
    >the battery.
    >
    >I'd next check out the PSU, even the best can blow out. Does it smell
    >burnt? Even if it is running, it may not be proving enough juice.
    >
    >- Grun

    Thank you for your advice.

    I think I found something, but I can't explain it.

    If I replace my current keyboard (a PS/2 Logitech Media Keyboard
    Elite) with an old PS/2 keyboard, the system starts without errors.
    But if I plug the Logitech keyboard into an old pc the kbd works.

    This info would exclude the battery, the psu and the wall outlet; am I
    wrong?

    I removed and reinstalled all the hardware, including the motherboard,
    but the problem persists (with the Logitech keyboard).

    Maybe there's a faulty component. But which one?

    --
    Z24

    Z24, Jan 18, 2007
  4. Z24

    Grunion Guest

    Yes, you are right, that suggests that the problem lay with the keyboard
    and not with any of the other stuff. If it likes the old keyboard
    better, use that or get a third-new keyboard. It sounds like either your
    PS/2 port is flaky (don't hot plug) or the Logitech keyboard has an issue.

    Glad that your problem was easily (if mysteriously) solved,

    Grun

    Grunion, Jan 18, 2007
  5. Z24

    Folk Guest

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 01:22:27 +0100, Z24 <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:50:13 -0500, Grunion wrote:
    >
    >>If you have old wiring, try a different wall outlet and without a power
    >>strip or surge surpresser.
    >>
    >>Since it doesn't advance past the bios, try replacing the CMOS battery.
    >>It is a standard battery type available from most department and
    >>hardware stores. If it fixes it, look for the board being grounded
    >>against the case. People have reported that sometimes that will drain
    >>the battery.
    >>
    >>I'd next check out the PSU, even the best can blow out. Does it smell
    >>burnt? Even if it is running, it may not be proving enough juice.
    >>
    >>- Grun

    >Thank you for your advice.
    >
    >I think I found something, but I can't explain it.
    >
    >If I replace my current keyboard (a PS/2 Logitech Media Keyboard
    >Elite) with an old PS/2 keyboard, the system starts without errors.
    >But if I plug the Logitech keyboard into an old pc the kbd works.

    Check your bios options that relate to the keyboard. Specifically,
    try turning off USB keyboard support and any typematic rate settings.

    Folk, Jan 18, 2007