Keep getting error trying to restore PB Multimedia

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by HiC, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. HiC

    HiC Guest

    I've got an old PB Multimedia 110, the h/d was taken out to be used in
    another machine and I want to make it work again. I saw it boot up and
    run Win95 when I first got it, and it was barely used, so I know the
    computer is basically sound.

    I have everything that came with this computer, all the software,
    restore disks, everything. So, I took another h/d and tried to use it.
    Booted with the restore floppy in the A:\ drive, it says to reformat
    and restore. At some point it asks for the backup CD in the CD-ROM.
    All is going well until it gives an

    "unable to write to C:\windows\calc.exe"

    It says "continue?" But only has a "cancel" option, no "yes" to
    continue option. I tried this with a couple of drives, same result. I
    put the backup CD in another computer and looked at it, the calc.exe
    file is there.

    Any suggestions on why it's doing this and how to get around whatever
    this glitch is and make it reload windows?

    1. Advertising

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "HiC" <> wrote in message
    <<<SNIPPED>>>
    > Booted with the restore floppy in the A:\ drive,

    it says to reformat
    > and restore. At some point it asks for the

    backup CD in the CD-ROM.
    > All is going well until it gives an
    >
    > "unable to write to C:\windows\calc.exe"
    >
    > It says "continue?" But only has a "cancel"

    option, no "yes" to
    > continue option. I tried this with a couple of

    drives, same result. I
    > put the backup CD in another computer and looked

    at it, the calc.exe
    > file is there.
    >
    > Any suggestions on why it's doing this and how

    to get around whatever
    > this glitch is and make it reload windows?

    HiC,

    The CALC.EXE program is only the Windows
    "caculator". I was not clear on what options it
    said when you get the error, but if you can just
    skip over that file, all should run OK.

    You may want to try putting the Windows
    Installation CD on your hard drive (make a folder
    called WIN95 on the C: deive, and copy the WIN95
    folder from the CD to the folder on the hard
    drive), and run the setup program from the hard
    drive (WIN95 folder) instead of the CD ROM.
    Sounds like it has a problem reading the CALC.EXE
    file from the CD. If it sill give the error, then
    it is probably the CD that is bad, try getting a
    good copy of the CLAC.EXE program and replace it
    with the bad one on the hard drive.

    I am ~somewhat~ sure this should work.
    --
    Regards,
    Anthony

  3. Elector

    Elector Guest

    "HiC" <> wrote in message
    > I've got an old PB Multimedia 110, the h/d was taken out to be used

    in
    > another machine and I want to make it work again. I saw it boot up

    and
    > run Win95 when I first got it, and it was barely used, so I know the
    > computer is basically sound.
    >
    > I have everything that came with this computer, all the software,
    > restore disks, everything. So, I took another h/d and tried to use

    it.
    > Booted with the restore floppy in the A:\ drive, it says to reformat
    > and restore. At some point it asks for the backup CD in the CD-ROM.
    > All is going well until it gives an
    >
    > "unable to write to C:\windows\calc.exe"
    >
    > It says "continue?" But only has a "cancel" option, no "yes" to
    > continue option. I tried this with a couple of drives, same result.

    > put the backup CD in another computer and looked at it, the calc.exe
    > file is there.
    >
    > Any suggestions on why it's doing this and how to get around

    whatever
    > this glitch is and make it reload windows?

    Hi HiC:

    I noticed Anthony answered this post so I will see If I can expand on
    it. You have a bad disk or cd in that it cannot read the
    "Calculator.exe" which is part of the windows install. Can you get
    another copy of the same cd? Many times that will cure the problem.
    You could also try and clean the cd to see if the program is read
    properly.

    Another thing I was thinking about is that your system may have a bad
    CD ROM in that the device slows down or skips? Is it the original CD
    ROM? And if the computer is one of the older ones then the cd rom is
    connected to the sound/modem etc. I hate combo cards.

    Try and use Windows 95 Disks or better yet, you can get a copy of
    windows 95 from a friend and do a fresh install of the Operating
    System and then go to the web for needed sound, video, and modem
    drivers or get them extracted off the restore cd you own where they
    are all kept.

    I believe the Windows 95 is available at certain websites for free.
    Like Windows 3.x but don't quote me on it. http://www.google.com might
    be the place to start.

    I hope I helped?

    Elector

    ---
    View the ALT.SYS.PC-CLONE.PACKARDBELL FAQs @
    http://pbfaq.tripod.com/
    For a fun place to post try
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/officialpackardbellusers

  4. Elector

    Elector Guest

    "HiC" <> wrote in message
    > I've got an old PB Multimedia 110, the h/d was taken out to be used

    in
    > another machine and I want to make it work again. I saw it boot up

    and
    > run Win95 when I first got it, and it was barely used, so I know the
    > computer is basically sound.
    >
    > I have everything that came with this computer, all the software,
    > restore disks, everything. So, I took another h/d and tried to use

    it.
    > Booted with the restore floppy in the A:\ drive, it says to reformat
    > and restore. At some point it asks for the backup CD in the CD-ROM.
    > All is going well until it gives an
    >
    > "unable to write to C:\windows\calc.exe"
    >
    > It says "continue?" But only has a "cancel" option, no "yes" to
    > continue option. I tried this with a couple of drives, same result.

    > put the backup CD in another computer and looked at it, the calc.exe
    > file is there.
    >
    > Any suggestions on why it's doing this and how to get around

    whatever
    > this glitch is and make it reload windows?

    Hi HiC:

    I noticed Anthony answered this post so I will see If I can expand on
    it. You have a bad disk or cd in that it cannot read the
    "Calculator.exe" which is part of the windows install. Can you get
    another copy of the same cd? Many times that will cure the problem.
    You could also try and clean the cd to see if the program is read
    properly.

    Another thing I was thinking about is that your system may have a bad
    CD ROM in that the device slows down or skips? Is it the original CD
    ROM? And if the computer is one of the older ones then the cd rom is
    connected to the sound/modem etc. I hate combo cards.

    Try and use Windows 95 Disks or better yet, you can get a copy of
    windows 95 from a friend and do a fresh install of the Operating
    System and then go to the web for needed sound, video, and modem
    drivers or get them extracted off the restore cd you own where they
    are all kept.

    I believe the Windows 95 is available at certain websites for free.
    Like Windows 3.x but don't quote me on it. http://www.google.com might
    be the place to start.

    I hope I helped?

    Elector

    ---
    View the ALT.SYS.PC-CLONE.PACKARDBELL FAQs @
    http://pbfaq.tripod.com/
    For a fun place to post try
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/officialpackardbellusers

  5. HiC

    HiC Guest

    "Elector" <> wrote in message news:<1Nzcb.5025$>...

    > Hi HiC:
    >
    > I noticed Anthony answered this post so I will see If I can expand on
    > it. You have a bad disk or cd in that it cannot read the
    > "Calculator.exe" which is part of the windows install. Can you get
    > another copy of the same cd?

    I put the backup CD in the CD rom of another computer with Windows
    running. When I find the calc.exe and when I dbl click it, it brings
    up the calculator. So, presumably this means it must be reading it?

    > Another thing I was thinking about is that your system may have a bad
    > CD ROM in that the device slows down or skips? Is it the original CD
    > ROM?

    It's the original, but keep in mind this machine has almost 0 useage.
    Nothing got used enough to wear out.

    > Try and use Windows 95 Disks or better yet, you can get a copy of
    > windows 95 from a friend and do a fresh install of the Operating
    > System and then go to the web for needed sound, video, and modem
    > drivers or get them extracted off the restore cd you own where they
    > are all kept.

    Supposedly, this version of Win95 will ONLY run on a Packard Bell,
    that a standard Win95 install disk won't run on this.

  6. HiC

    HiC Guest

    " Anthony" <> wrote in message news:<bku0su$2os$>...

    > The CALC.EXE program is only the Windows
    > "caculator". I was not clear on what options it
    > said when you get the error, but if you can just
    > skip over that file, all should run OK.

    Won't let me. It says "Continue?" but doesn't actually give a button
    to continue. Only a "cancel" button.

    > You may want to try putting the Windows
    > Installation CD on your hard drive (make a folder
    > called WIN95 on the C: deive, and copy the WIN95
    > folder from the CD to the folder on the hard
    > drive), and run the setup program from the hard
    > drive (WIN95 folder) instead of the CD ROM.
    > Sounds like it has a problem reading the CALC.EXE
    > file from the CD.

    Well, the thing is, what's directing all this is a floppy recovery
    disk in drive A: This whole process is programmed onto it. How would
    I redirect it to use the files on the hard drive itself? Also, to
    accomplish this copying of the CD rom to the hard drive, I assume you
    mean to stick that hard drive in a different computer and copy the
    contents of the CD to the hard drive.

  7. HiC wrote: "I put the backup CD in the CD rom of another computer with
    Windows running. When I find the calc.exe and when I dbl click it, it brings
    up the calculator. So, presumably this means it must be reading it?"

    Since another PC can read and load the calculator from the CD-ROM, this
    suggests your CD-ROM is not at fault, but that your problem is with the CD
    drive on your old model 110. You can verify this by running one of the
    diagnostic programs, such as Belarc.com or PCPitstop.com. There are others,
    including Norton Utilities. The problem with the drive could be dust, or a
    bad connection, a bad drive, or other. If the machine has not been cleaned,
    one of the canned dusters may solve your problem. Re-seating the cards and
    cables may solve the problem. Just remember to wear a ground strap, and good
    luck.
    -------------------

    View the only OFFICIAL and UPDATED FAQ for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

  8. Elector

    Elector Guest

    > > Hi HiC:
    > >
    > > I noticed Anthony answered this post so I will see If I can expand

    on
    > > it. You have a bad disk or cd in that it cannot read the
    > > "Calculator.exe" which is part of the windows install. Can you get
    > > another copy of the same cd?

    > I put the backup CD in the CD rom of another computer with Windows
    > running. When I find the calc.exe and when I dbl click it, it brings
    > up the calculator. So, presumably this means it must be reading it?
    >

    > > Another thing I was thinking about is that your system may have a

    bad
    > > CD ROM in that the device slows down or skips? Is it the original

    CD
    > > ROM?

    > It's the original, but keep in mind this machine has almost 0

    useage.
    > Nothing got used enough to wear out.
    >

    > > Try and use Windows 95 Disks or better yet, you can get a copy of
    > > windows 95 from a friend and do a fresh install of the Operating
    > > System and then go to the web for needed sound, video, and modem
    > > drivers or get them extracted off the restore cd you own where

    they
    > > are all kept.

    > Supposedly, this version of Win95 will ONLY run on a Packard Bell,
    > that a standard Win95 install disk won't run on this.

    Hi HiC:

    What may be the solution here is that if the cd is dependent on the
    system then it may be looking for the tattoo this is how to place the
    tattoo on a new hard drive: From Simons Post:

    "Simon" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Create a Windows 98 Boot Diskette
    > Locate on Master CD's the folder 'DRIVERS'
    > From this folder copy to the boot diskette the following files:
    >
    > Tattoo.exe
    > Shellhs.dll
    >
    > Remove and install your new HDD
    >
    > Power up the system and boot from the diskette into DOS and at the

    A> prompt
    > enter the following
    > command:
    >
    > Tattoo /createhsfromdmi
    >
    > This will transfer a copy of the tattoo from the motherboard bios to

    the
    > hdd.
    >

    > HTH
    >
    > Simon

    This may be the next logical step in the fixing of the system.

    I hope that helped?

    Elector

  9. Elector

    Elector Guest

    > > The CALC.EXE program is only the Windows
    > > "caculator". I was not clear on what options it
    > > said when you get the error, but if you can just
    > > skip over that file, all should run OK.

    > Won't let me. It says "Continue?" but doesn't actually give a button
    > to continue. Only a "cancel" button.
    >
    > > You may want to try putting the Windows
    > > Installation CD on your hard drive (make a folder
    > > called WIN95 on the C: deive, and copy the WIN95
    > > folder from the CD to the folder on the hard
    > > drive), and run the setup program from the hard
    > > drive (WIN95 folder) instead of the CD ROM.
    > > Sounds like it has a problem reading the CALC.EXE
    > > file from the CD.

    > Well, the thing is, what's directing all this is a floppy recovery
    > disk in drive A: This whole process is programmed onto it. How

    would
    > I redirect it to use the files on the hard drive itself? Also, to
    > accomplish this copying of the CD rom to the hard drive, I assume

    you
    > mean to stick that hard drive in a different computer and copy the
    > contents of the CD to the hard drive.

    HiC:
    Another note, just because the program can run from the disk (CD) does
    not mean the cd its self is not faulty. It can sometimes be a simple
    as I stated before, clean the cd, look for scratches, etc. Also in
    your other reply to me I noted that you believe that due to almost non
    use the situation could not be the CD ROM. Again age plays a major
    fault in the devices. Rubber breaks down, metal parts have the
    lubrication break down, dust and dirt can still get in or on the
    device. Many things can and do go wrong.

    But try that tattoo suggestion from Simon, it may be what the system
    is looking for.

    I Hope that helped?

    Elector

  10. HiC

    HiC Guest

    "Elector" <> wrote in message news:<SIIcb.54$>...

    > What may be the solution here is that if the cd is dependent on the
    > system then it may be looking for the tattoo this is how to place the
    > tattoo on a new hard drive: From Simons Post:

    > > Create a Windows 98 Boot Diskette
    > > Locate on Master CD's the folder 'DRIVERS'
    > > From this folder copy to the boot diskette the following files:
    > >
    > > Tattoo.exe
    > > Shellhs.dll

    Copy these file to where on the boot diskette? Also and however, to
    clarify, are you outlining a way to load Win98 on this PB? The master
    CD for this PB has Win95. Neither of these files you mentioned is
    found on the original PB Master CD.

    > > Remove and install your new HDD
    > >
    > > Power up the system and boot from the diskette into DOS and at the

    > A> prompt
    > > enter the following
    > > command:
    > >
    > > Tattoo /createhsfromdmi
    > >
    > > This will transfer a copy of the tattoo from the motherboard bios to

    > the
    > > hdd.

  11. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "HiC" <> wrote in message
    > " Anthony" <> wrote in

    message news:<bku0su$2os$>...

    > > The CALC.EXE program is only the Windows
    > > "caculator". I was not clear on what options

    it
    > > said when you get the error, but if you can

    just
    > > skip over that file, all should run OK.

    > Won't let me. It says "Continue?" but doesn't

    actually give a button
    > to continue. Only a "cancel" button.
    >
    > > You may want to try putting the Windows
    > > Installation CD on your hard drive (make a

    folder
    > > called WIN95 on the C: deive, and copy the

    WIN95
    > > folder from the CD to the folder on the hard
    > > drive), and run the setup program from the

    hard
    > > drive (WIN95 folder) instead of the CD ROM.
    > > Sounds like it has a problem reading the

    CALC.EXE
    > > file from the CD.

    > Well, the thing is, what's directing all this is

    a floppy recovery
    > disk in drive A: This whole process is

    programmed onto it. How would
    > I redirect it to use the files on the hard drive

    itself? Also, to
    > accomplish this copying of the CD rom to the

    hard drive, I assume you
    > mean to stick that hard drive in a different

    computer and copy the
    > contents of the CD to the hard drive.

    If i rember correctly there is a SETUP.EXE program
    that is actually on the CD. I belive it is in the
    WIN95/WINDOWS/OPTIONS/CABS folder. Therefore get
    a bootable floppy (not the PB master floppy), copy
    the contents of the WIN95 folder to the hard
    driove (as stated before). And then from a dos
    prompt run the SETUP.EXE file in the
    WIN95/WINDOWS/OPTIONS/CABS folder.

    Just a note, I am not 100% sure of the location of
    the SETUP.EXE file, I was going to look on my
    discs, but I am in the process of moving my
    computers around, and the discs are burried
    somewhere.
    --
    Regards,
    Anthony
    View the ALT.SYS.PC-CLONE.PACKARDBELL FAQs @
    http://pbfaq.tripod.com/
    For a fun place to post try

  12. Elector

    Elector Guest

    On 25 Sep 2003 19:54:56 -0700, (HiC) had this to say and I had to reply to it:

    ::"Elector" <> wrote in message news:<SIIcb.54$>...
    ::>
    ::> What may be the solution here is that if the cd is dependent on the
    ::> system then it may be looking for the tattoo this is how to place the
    ::> tattoo on a new hard drive: From Simons Post:
    ::
    ::> > Create a Windows 98 Boot Diskette
    ::> > Locate on Master CD's the folder 'DRIVERS'
    ::> > From this folder copy to the boot diskette the following files:
    ::> >
    ::> > Tattoo.exe
    ::> > Shellhs.dll
    ::
    ::Copy these file to where on the boot diskette? Also and however, to
    ::clarify, are you outlining a way to load Win98 on this PB? The master
    ::CD for this PB has Win95. Neither of these files you mentioned is
    ::found on the original PB Master CD.
    ::
    ::> > Remove and install your new HDD
    ::> >
    ::> > Power up the system and boot from the diskette into DOS and at the
    ::> A> prompt
    ::> > enter the following
    ::> > command:
    ::> >
    ::> > Tattoo /createhsfromdmi
    ::> >
    ::> > This will transfer a copy of the tattoo from the motherboard bios to
    ::> the
    ::> > hdd.

    Hello Again, sorry for the delay. Windows 95 does not have cd rom support. Windows 98 has such
    support so if you make a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com you then insert the boot disk into
    the Floppy drive and then from the cd rom (folder-drivers) You will need to change from the A: to
    the drive letter of the CD ROM. Now the command would be ?>copy/drivers/tattoo.exe a: [Hit enter]
    "?" is the drive letter assignment for the cd rom. after you copy both files to the boot disk when
    you get to the DOS prompt again complete with the command above.

    If a disk is completely cleaned (fdisk & formatted) any operating system can be installed not just
    the one that is on the restore cd. its called a clean install. And then you grab the needed drivers
    for the devices from the PB drivers folder. However the factors involved include that the computer
    be fast enough for the OS, you have ample memory to handle the load, and that you have the needed
    disks or cd's for the load and space on the hard drive.

    Barring that you should have no problem.

    Elector