    any ideas?

    thanks,
    max
    max slomoff, Jun 2, 2004

  2. max slomoff

    Bob Day Guest

    "max slomoff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > hello,
    > i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
    > dusty desert environment.
    >
    > i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
    > with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
    > operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
    > will damage the electronics.

    A normal room air conditioner will work fine in a sealed
    enclosure -- that's what they're designed to do. Make
    sure it can drip water to the outside.

    -- Bob Day
    Bob Day, Jun 2, 2004

  3. max slomoff

    Jim Phelps Guest

    (max slomoff) wrote in message news:<>...
    > hello,
    > i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
    > dusty desert environment.
    >
    > i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
    > with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
    > operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
    > will damage the electronics.
    >
    > the other option is to have two openings in the enclosure covered by
    > air filteres and fans to pump air in and out of the enclosure.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > thanks,
    > max

    Hi Max, Air condtioners don't produce moisture. They remove moisture
    from the air in the room and if the unit is a Window unit like the
    older ones I am familiar with they dump the condensed moisture outside
    the room. Jim
    Jim Phelps, Jun 2, 2004
  4. max slomoff

    Denis MICHEL Guest

    (max slomoff) wrote in message news:<>...
    > hello,
    > i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
    > dusty desert environment.
    >
    > i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
    > with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
    > operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
    > will damage the electronics.
    >
    > the other option is to have two openings in the enclosure covered by
    > air filteres and fans to pump air in and out of the enclosure.
    >
    > any ideas?

    If weigth doesn't matter, you could use a PC watercooler ...
    If the run time is limited, you could use ice-packs or dry ice.

    Next time, go in a SNOW desert, not a sand one ;)
    Denis MICHEL, Jun 2, 2004
  5. max slomoff

    Aaron Guest

    (max slomoff) wrote in message news:<>...
    > hello,
    > i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
    > dusty desert environment.
    >
    > i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
    > with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
    > operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
    > will damage the electronics.
    >
    > the other option is to have two openings in the enclosure covered by
    > air filteres and fans to pump air in and out of the enclosure.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > thanks,
    > max

    Well, the air conditioner is a good idea. The problem will come when
    the components are put back in hot air. If there is any humidity in
    the air, moisture will condense on the components. If you always ran
    the A/C, you would be OK. My guess is that in a desert there is not
    enough moisture in the air to cause harmful condensation.

    Air conditioners can not be run in an enclosed area, because all they
    do it move heat. So, you have to have a system that you are cooling,
    and an area that the hot air will exhaust to.

    Aaron
    Aaron, Jun 3, 2004
  6. (Aaron) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (max slomoff) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > hello,
    > > i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
    > > dusty desert environment.
    > >
    > > i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
    > > with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
    > > operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
    > > will damage the electronics.
    > >
    > > the other option is to have two openings in the enclosure covered by
    > > air filteres and fans to pump air in and out of the enclosure.
    > >
    > > any ideas?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > max

    desert...Picture Rocks, AZ, just outside the Saguaro National Park.
    What you need is an air purifier....I hear them advertized on the
    radio, 790 in Tucson and 550 in Phoenix. Mike

    Michael P Gabriel, Jun 3, 2004