Keeping the Desktop Simple - My Preferences

Discussion in 'Apple' started by TaliesinSoft, Jun 18, 2012.

  1. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I'm one who likes my desktop to be free of clutter. In this regard the
    desktop background is the gray linen texture that Apple uses when you
    log onto an account, the dock, in addition to the icons for Finder and
    Trash, only contains icons for the currently open applications, and the
    menu bar is visible only when the cursor is over it. All of my
    documents are organized into folders and subfolders which in turn are
    within the Documents folder. To launch an application I use either the
    Recent Items list which appears under the Apple menu or I use Spotlight
    where I can enter a few leading letters and then enter a return. This
    arrangement works fine for me but tends to be in strong contrast to
    what I typically see, desktops with a sea of icons and a dock with
    easily fifty or more items. I guess it all comes down to individual
    preferences, but I have found that the speed by which I navigate and
    make choices tends to be faster than that used by acquaintences with
    the more usual desktop arrangement.

    --
    James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

    TaliesinSoft, Jun 18, 2012

  2. TaliesinSoft

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    TaliesinSoft <> wrote:
    > I'm one who likes my desktop to be free of clutter. In this regard the
    > desktop background is the gray linen texture that Apple uses when you
    > log onto an account, the dock, in addition to the icons for Finder and
    > Trash, only contains icons for the currently open applications, and the
    > menu bar is visible only when the cursor is over it. All of my
    > documents are organized into folders and subfolders which in turn are
    > within the Documents folder. To launch an application I use either the
    > Recent Items list which appears under the Apple menu or I use Spotlight
    > where I can enter a few leading letters and then enter a return. This
    > arrangement works fine for me but tends to be in strong contrast to
    > what I typically see, desktops with a sea of icons and a dock with
    > easily fifty or more items. I guess it all comes down to individual
    > preferences, but I have found that the speed by which I navigate and
    > make choices tends to be faster than that used by acquaintences with
    > the more usual desktop arrangement.

    My Dock includes the Finder, the Trash, and Mission Control. I also have
    three folders (A folder of desktop pictures, my downloads, and recent
    apps) The only other thing in the Dock are running apps.

    I use Launchbar to open pretty much every document or application on my
    computer, unless I open something from the Terminal.

    I keep a few things on the desktop, but only a few. I keep the dock
    visible, but small, because I like the badging that some apps do (For
    example, µTorrent shows the up and download bandwidth being used) when
    it's in the Dock.

    --
    'You know me,' said Rincewind. 'Just when I'm getting a grip on
    something Fate comes along and jumps on my fingers.' --Interesting Times

    Lewis, Jun 18, 2012