    Toshiba Satellite R-15S822
    2G ram
    Xp sp2

    Chris, Jul 25, 2008

  2. Bad keyboard. Get new one on ebay. I had to.

    phantom3329649, Oct 10, 2008

  3. >> Bad keyboard. Get new one on ebay. <<

    Getting one is easy... getting it into the screen is the tricky part ;-)

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Oct 11, 2008
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    OK, not to be rude, but you are obviously not a troubleshooter. If the
    keyboard was bad, it would NEVER work. It works EVERY TIME when I go into
    BIOS. This definately points to a driver problem iwhen it loads into
    WindowXP. And I can usually tell when it won't work because it hangs for a
    long time at the WINDOW XP welcome screen. Actually, it's working fine right
    now. And I can always use the USB keyboard I have. It just cuts out the
    portablity.
    Oh, and if the keyboard doesn't work, I just have to re-boot and then it's
    fine.

    Chris

    Chris, Oct 11, 2008
  5. >> OK, not to be rude, but you are obviously not a troubleshooter. <<

    My apologies... but, if you re-read my response in threaded format, or
    look at the quote content, you will see that my rude comment was not
    directed at you, but at the first responder who thought you were talking
    about an external keyboard rather than the onscreen tablet keyboard.

    I didn't respond to your question because I didn't have an answer and
    know nothing about the specific tablet you are using, that plus the fact
    that you indicated that the only likely source of help (Toshiba) you had
    already eliminated as well.

    The only suggestions I might have would be to do a repair install BUT
    ONLY IF YOU HAVE ORIGINAL TOSHIBA TABLET PC OS RECOVERY CD'S or to
    continue googling.

    fwiw, the key you refer to seems to be related to hardware keyboard,
    but, even if you don't have that key, it can be created or imported.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Oct 11, 2008
  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Sorry, I didn't realize you were responding to the other reply. I'm just at
    my wits end here, and I've baffled just about everyone I've written or spoken
    to. I end up keeping a USB keyboard nearby, for the times the regular
    keyboard doesn't work, or I just reboot if I'm not in a hurry.
    Thanks.

    Chris, Oct 11, 2008
  7. can you take a moment to clarify your original post... it's confusing
    because of the many possibilities... notably, it's not clear to me
    exactly which keyboard you are talking about... to whit;

    the laptop's hardware keyboard
    the laptop's bios (login) keyboard
    the tablet pc's TIP/handwriting input interface
    the TIP's icon on the taskbar
    the TIP's not showing up at an insertion point

    plus you mentioned a usb keyboard... which one and does it use special
    software?

    In the meantime, assume you know about START/RUN/OSK to fill in when all
    else fails?

    As for disappearing, the more info the better... could be from
    interference from taskbar apps... have you tried killing everything you
    don't need in msconfig or after boot to see if that helps.

    Finally, boot, drop to dos and issue the command

    TASKLIST >> C:\TEMP\DIAG.TXT

    (assuming you have a C:\TEMP directory)

    ....then when it fails, do the same again, then open the file and look to
    see what's different.

    You might also post that so that others can look for something obvious.

    Finally, this is not the only tablet forum... suggest googling for
    TABLET TOSHIBA FORUM plus, you might try,

    <http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4>

    <http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=41>

    <http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2656>

    Hope this takes you a little further down the solution path.

    _Finally_ if you achieve a solution, please post it here for others.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Oct 12, 2008
  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Bev,
    Sorry I wasn't clearer. I am, indeed, talking about the laptop's hardware
    keyboard that just doesn't respond after booting, and only sometimes. If I
    boot into Bios, it always works. The keyboard I use when it fails is a USB
    keyboard that doesn't require any software. I have an icon for the OSK that I
    use in an emergency, but that's painful to use.
    I have tried seeing if there is an EVENT (Start/Control Panel/Administrative
    Tools/Event Viewer, but it doesn't show anything.
    I'll try the Diag.txt
    Thanks! I take back what I said about you not being a diagnostician.

    Chris, Oct 12, 2008
  9. >> laptop hardware keyboard <<

    How does it "not work" i.e. no keys work, some keys wrong, etc

    >> registry key <<

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\HasKeyboard

    is a windows mobile (pocketpc/smartphone) registry value and does not
    apply to other os'

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Oct 12, 2008
  10. might take a look at

    <http://www.devhardware.com/forums/mobile-computing-75/laptop-keyboard-problem-15061.html>

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Oct 12, 2008
  11. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Bev,
    "Not work" means that no matter what key I press, including ENTER or space,
    nothing happens. It's as if I'm not doing anything.

    Chris, Oct 13, 2008
  12. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Bev,
    Thanks. Went through the 3 pages but everyone has a different problem. Most
    either some keys work or the keys type the wrong thing.
    I also checked for a virus and spyware...

    Chris, Oct 13, 2008