Keychain request on startup

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Norm, May 11, 2011.

  1. Norm

    Norm Guest

    Whenever I startup or restart, I get a request to use the keychain. The requesting file is: <FileSyncAgent>
     
    What would that mean and is there a way to approve it permanently so I don't need to enter the keychain password on each
    start/restart?

    Info:
    Have separate keychain password
    OS 10.6.7
     
    Thank you.

    --
    Norm
     
    Norm, May 11, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Norm

    Nitefall Guest

    On 2011-05-11 07:42:52 -0700, Norm said:

    > Whenever I startup or restart, I get a request to use the keychain. The
    > requesting file is: <FileSyncAgent>
    >  
    > What would that mean and is there a way to approve it permanently so I
    > don't need to enter the keychain password on each
    > start/restart?
    >
    > Info:
    > Have separate keychain password
    > OS 10.6.7
    >  
    > Thank you.


    Is your machine bound to a directory server? OR, does a company own
    the machine?

    If HomeSync is turned on (by directory services MCX settings) you will
    see this message form time to time on boot.

    It is probably trying to synchronize your home directory with a network
    share somewhere.
     
    Nitefall, May 12, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Norm

    Nitefall Guest

    On 2011-05-11 07:42:52 -0700, Norm said:

    > Info:
    > Have separate keychain password
    > OS 10.6.7


    Oh...wait... I am blind and didn't read this bit.

    Do you mean to say that your keychain password is different than your
    login password?

    Again in a Directory Services implementation, this would definately
    affect your ability to sync a mobile home directory.
     
    Nitefall, May 12, 2011
    #3
  4. Norm

    David Empson Guest

    Norm <> wrote:

    > Whenever I startup or restart, I get a request to use the keychain. The
    > requesting file is: <FileSyncAgent>
    >
    > What would that mean and is there a way to approve it permanently so I
    > don't need to enter the keychain password on each start/restart?
    >
    > Info:
    > Have separate keychain password
    > OS 10.6.7


    I expect that FileSyncAgent is already permanently approved to access
    your keychain. The problem is that FileSyncAgent needs to access the
    keychain when it runs at startup, and at that point your keychain is
    locked.

    Your keychain must be unlocked before FileSyncAgent can access it, and
    in order to unlock the keychain, you must type in your keychain
    password.

    By using a different keychain and login password, you will ALWAYS have
    to enter your keychain password the first time something needs to access
    your keychain after you log in (or any other time the keychain gets
    locked again).

    To avoid this, change your keychain password so that it is the same as
    your login password (allowing your keychain to be unlocked
    automatically).

    If you prefer to have different login and keychain passwords for added
    security, then you will have to get used to typing in your keychain
    password when requested. For even better security, you should configure
    the keychain to lock automatically when the computer goes to sleep or
    screen saver.

    As to the question of exactly what "FileSyncAgent" might be: a little
    digging shows it is responsible for synchronizing MobileMe's iDisk with
    the locally cached copy. If you want to stop FileSyncAgent from
    automatically running when you log in, you will need to disable local
    caching of your iDisk.

    That will delay the request for your keychain password until something
    else needs to access your keychain.

    --
    David Empson
     
    David Empson, May 12, 2011
    #4
  5. Norm

    AES Guest

    In article <1k15sbf.1tihrmo7e3smzN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > As to the question of exactly what "FileSyncAgent" might be: a little
    > digging shows it is responsible for synchronizing MobileMe's iDisk with
    > the locally cached copy. If you want to stop FileSyncAgent from
    > automatically running when you log in, you will need to disable local
    > caching of your iDisk.
    >
    > That will delay the request for your keychain password until something
    > else needs to access your keychain.
    >
    > --
    > David Empson
    >


    David, I just want to say in all sincerity that you are a great asset to
    this group, and a model poster, with informative, detailed, and always
    helpful replies. If you were to get fed up with posting these replies
    and drop out, it would be a genuine loss.

    --AES
     
    AES, May 12, 2011
    #5
  6. Norm

    George Kerby Guest

    On 5/12/11 8:59 AM, in article
    , "AES"
    <> wrote:

    > In article <1k15sbf.1tihrmo7e3smzN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    >> As to the question of exactly what "FileSyncAgent" might be: a little
    >> digging shows it is responsible for synchronizing MobileMe's iDisk with
    >> the locally cached copy. If you want to stop FileSyncAgent from
    >> automatically running when you log in, you will need to disable local
    >> caching of your iDisk.
    >>
    >> That will delay the request for your keychain password until something
    >> else needs to access your keychain.
    >>
    >> --
    >> David Empson
    >>

    >
    > David, I just want to say in all sincerity that you are a great asset to
    > this group, and a model poster, with informative, detailed, and always
    > helpful replies. If you were to get fed up with posting these replies
    > and drop out, it would be a genuine loss.
    >
    > --AES


    I second that motion.
     
    George Kerby, May 12, 2011
    #6
  7. Norm

    Norm Guest

    In article <2011051118373431168-nitefall@komkastnet>, Nitefall <> wrote:

    > On 2011-05-11 07:42:52 -0700, Norm said:
    >
    > > Whenever I startup or restart, I get a request to use the keychain. The
    > > requesting file is: <FileSyncAgent>
    > >  
    > > What would that mean and is there a way to approve it permanently so I
    > > don't need to enter the keychain password on each
    > > start/restart?
    > >
    > > Info:
    > > Have separate keychain password
    > > OS 10.6.7
    > >  
    > > Thank you.

    >
    > Is your machine bound to a directory server? OR, does a company own
    > the machine?


    No.

    >
    > If HomeSync is turned on (by directory services MCX settings) you will
    > see this message form time to time on boot.
    >
    > It is probably trying to synchronize your home directory with a network
    > share somewhere.


    Hmmm.... got it. Is there a way to determine this?

    --
    Norm
     
    Norm, May 22, 2011
    #7
  8. Norm

    Norm Guest

    In article <2011051118392185450-nitefall@komkastnet>, Nitefall <> wrote:

    > On 2011-05-11 07:42:52 -0700, Norm said:
    >
    > > Info:
    > > Have separate keychain password
    > > OS 10.6.7

    >
    > Oh...wait... I am blind and didn't read this bit.
    >
    > Do you mean to say that your keychain password is different than your
    > login password?


    Yes it it.

    >
    > Again in a Directory Services implementation, this would definately
    > affect your ability to sync a mobile home directory.


    --
    Norm
     
    Norm, May 22, 2011
    #8
  9. Norm

    Norm Guest

    In article <1k15sbf.1tihrmo7e3smzN%>, (David Empson) wrote:

    > By using a different keychain and login password, you will ALWAYS have
    > to enter your keychain password the first time something needs to access
    > your keychain after you log in (or any other time the keychain gets
    > locked again).


    David, thank you for answering my question(s) so completely.

    As always, I appreciate.

    --
    Norm
     
    Norm, May 22, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. see_note_for_direct_email@as_shown.ca

    Request Startup Disk for Macintosh LC

    see_note_for_direct_email@as_shown.ca, Aug 29, 2004, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    160
    see_note_for_direct_email@as_shown.ca
    Aug 29, 2004
  2. Bill Law

    Startup item not in Startup Items

    Bill Law, Oct 23, 2004, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    292
    David C. Stone
    Oct 25, 2004
  3. Alex
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    208
    Russ Dumke
    Nov 3, 2005
  4. Salgud
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    262
    Dave Balderstone
    Jun 21, 2008
  5. Nobody > (Revisited)
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,739
Loading...

Share This Page