KG-7 RAID max cpu?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by FreedWillie, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. FreedWillie

    FreedWillie Guest

    OK, I want to upgrade from a 1400+ Athlon XP. I've just gone through
    the group's history at Google Groups and I see a message from 2003
    claiming stable use of a 2400+ cpu in the KG-7.

    Is there anyone out there who has a faster processor on the KG-7
    currently?

    Alternatively, does anyone know the actual max speed of processor the
    board will handle?

    Strictly interpreting the manual, it would appear to support a future
    processor (beyond 2100+) that is 1) socket A and 2) 266 MHz FSB. If
    that is so, then the max processor supported is theoretically the
    Athlon XP 2800+ with fsb 266 Mhz.

    Is that correct, and does the KG-7 support it?

    Thanks to all in advance.

    Ed

    FreedWillie, Dec 15, 2004

  2. FreedWillie

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:59:08 +0000, FreedWillie wrote:

    > OK, I want to upgrade from a 1400+ Athlon XP. I've just gone through
    > the group's history at Google Groups and I see a message from 2003
    > claiming stable use of a 2400+ cpu in the KG-7.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there who has a faster processor on the KG-7
    > currently?

    Yes, but not me. Some are running multiplier unlocked barton cores.

    > Alternatively, does anyone know the actual max speed of processor the
    > board will handle?

    Without overclocking the fsb, 24x133.33 or about a real 3200MHz. Good luck
    trying to get one of the XP's to even come close to that.:)

    > Strictly interpreting the manual, it would appear to support a future
    > processor (beyond 2100+) that is 1) socket A and 2) 266 MHz FSB. If that
    > is so, then the max processor supported is theoretically the Athlon XP
    > 2800+ with fsb 266 Mhz.
    >
    > Is that correct, and does the KG-7 support it?

    Depends on what you mean by support. Will it run it, yes. Will it post as
    a 2800+, probably not, but that doesn't matter, as posting speeds are just
    cosmetics. The one below simply post as an unknown proccessor @ 2400MHz.
    and that's on a 100Mhz FSB.

    Wes Newell, Dec 16, 2004

  3. FreedWillie

    Bob Troll Guest

    Although the KG7 was a fine board in it's day (I owned 2), sell it amd put a
    NF7s v2.0 in place of it. You'll beat your head against the wall a whole lot
    less.

    Regards, Bob Troll

    Bob Troll, Dec 16, 2004
  4. FreedWillie

    FreedWillie Guest

    Gracious are the assumptions you draw of my ability to infer. Thank
    you. But let me put this another way.

    I'm a cellist and know more about dynamics of music than that of a
    motherboard/cpu.

    I have a KG-7 RAID with a 1400+ Athlon XP. I want to upgrade the
    processor for that motherboard to the point where the next processor
    up will not make the computer any faster (regardless of non-cpu
    factors such as memory speed). Therefore, I will buy an Athlon Z+ XP.

    Solve for Z.

    Thanks again.
    Ed

    FreedWillie, Dec 16, 2004
  5. FreedWillie

    FreedWillie Guest

    Thank you for the great advice. I will strongly consider the reduced
    number of impacts to my head, and check it out.

    FreedWillie, Dec 16, 2004
  6. FreedWillie

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:54:08 +0000, FreedWillie wrote:

    > Gracious are the assumptions you draw of my ability to infer. Thank
    > you. But let me put this another way.
    >
    > I'm a cellist and know more about dynamics of music than that of a
    > motherboard/cpu.
    >
    > I have a KG-7 RAID with a 1400+ Athlon XP. I want to upgrade the
    > processor for that motherboard to the point where the next processor
    > up will not make the computer any faster (regardless of non-cpu
    > factors such as memory speed). Therefore, I will buy an Athlon Z+ XP.
    >
    > Solve for Z.

    Then I'd recommend you buy a new MB, CPU and ram to replace your older
    system. Then sell your current MB/CPU/ram on ebay or somewhere.

    If you want to stay cheap (and who doesn't) then I'd suggest a socket 754
    MB with PC4000 ram and a socket 754 Sempron 3100+. This cpu will clock to
    over 2.5GHz easily (from default 1.8GHz) and put it's performance up close
    to that of the Athlon 64 3800+, 4000+, and faster than any overclocked
    socket A cpu. Get a board with a PCI lock.

    Wes Newell, Dec 16, 2004
  7. FreedWillie

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:54:08 +0000, FreedWillie wrote:

    > I have a KG-7 RAID with a 1400+ Athlon XP. I want to upgrade the
    > processor for that motherboard to the point where the next processor
    > up will not make the computer any faster (regardless of non-cpu
    > factors such as memory speed). Therefore, I will buy an Athlon Z+ XP.
    >
    > Solve for Z.

    2400, 2400+ XP-M (Barton core mobile with 133MHz default FSB)

    This board (actually chipset) is the most finicky board I can remember, so
    be prepared to make bios adjustments with a new cpu.

    Wes Newell, Dec 16, 2004
  8. FreedWillie

    andy Guest

    i have another pc with the kg7-raid it runs fine with a xp2400+ throughbred
    "unlocked" cpu
    as for others i dunno, possible i just set the multiplier setting to x13 and
    above
    bios reports it as a xp2400+ as does winxp

    andy, Dec 17, 2004
  9. FreedWillie

    FreedWillie Guest

    Thank you, I will do that.

    FreedWillie, Dec 17, 2004
  10. FreedWillie

    Bob Troll Guest

    I reread the other poster's answers this evening and thought most of them to
    be full of good ideas for various reasons. The sempron has been tested out
    compared to my 2500xp+ mobile processors and in the real world mine do more
    work for a given time period numbers being what they are and all that. We
    run the machines 24/7 crunching seti packets.

    I am waiting for what is beyond the amd 64 type processors and holding with
    my socket A boards until then.

    For bang for the buck I feel that my combination of Abit NF7S v2.0 board,
    Swiftech MCX462-V heatsink coupled with a 90mm fan atop my 2500xp+ mobile
    barton with 1 gb of 3200 crucial ram (2 x 512mb Dual Channel kit) does an
    adequate job of running games, burning dvd's etc. All parts can be purchased
    at newegg.com for example.

    These processors are running at a clock speed of 202 x 11.5 at 1.6v setting
    in bios 27. The vcore displays as 1.552v - 1.568 in abit eq as well as cpu-z
    v.1.26. The ram is set at 2.7v in the bios setting with the volts showing up
    as 2.84 in pc health page in bios. They run roughly equivalent to a amd
    3500xp+ at a true fsb speed of 2331 mhz. They will run faster at higher
    voltage but this seems to be a "sweet spot" for them, so I just leave them
    run stably and there is less heat as well to contend with. They often run
    for weeks without a reboot. In fact the only reason I reboot them is after
    installs or updates. They run winxp pro.

    The Kg7 has severe limitations for the clocking enthusiast, the biggest of
    which I would say is the lack of locking the pci bus to 33mhz and agp at 66.
    Again I am far from bad mouthing the KG7 as it was a true pioneer and the
    forerunner of what we have today. It is a fine board but limited in it's
    adjustability.

    The Asus Intel boards with hyperthreading blow the NF7S out of the water for
    real world productivity but they also cost more to build so budget concerns
    set me in the amd direction.

    In a few words these numbers being tossed around by some posters make me
    want to puke at times. What I really want to know is how much work do they
    get done in the time my machine takes doing the same work? That is the
    question I ask most often. Numbers truly mean very little to me as you may
    be able to tell.

    Regards, Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll

    Bob Troll, Dec 17, 2004
  11. FreedWillie

    matt Guest

    i couldnt get a new AMD 2400+ to work reliably on my kg-7... i followed
    the posts on upgrading the bios, etc, but it failed Prime95's torture
    test after 8 hours. Memtest86 also reported unknown errors. games run
    ok, but video would freeze the system w/i an hour.

    i ended up buying a cheap MSI KV7 for $50, same everything else.
    Prime95 & Memtest both run for 12+ hours w/ no errors, and no freezes
    yet.

    matt

    matt, Dec 17, 2004
  12. FreedWillie

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:17:05 -0800, matt wrote:

    > i couldnt get a new AMD 2400+ to work reliably on my kg-7... i followed
    > the posts on upgrading the bios, etc, but it failed Prime95's torture
    > test after 8 hours. Memtest86 also reported unknown errors. games run
    > ok, but video would freeze the system w/i an hour.

    Like I said, it's about the trickiest board I've ever heard of. It's taken
    some people weeks to get it working. Slew rate problems mostly I think.
    I'm glad I bought a socket A board before these came out.:)

    Wes Newell, Dec 18, 2004
  13. FreedWillie

    0_Qed Guest

    :) Re: KG-7 RAID max cpu?

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > Like I said, it's about the trickiest board I've ever heard of. It's taken
    > some people weeks to get it working. Slew rate problems mostly I think.
    > I'm glad I bought a socket A board before these came out.:)

    :)
    Its a good thing I didnt 'see' this back in `99 ... `00
    never woulda bought one.

    My mem sticks went 'in' 1st time ( CAIG ) ,
    drivers loaded nice & easy ... OS following ...
    not a whimper ... booted 1st thing.
    No OC, nothing stressful.
    NO 'skill', musta been luck of the draw,
    and, =PRE_reading= this NG.

    Anyway ,
    'this' post is a keeper, thanks.

    'Waiting' till the dual_core stuff settles down ... upgrade time.

    MC&HNY,
    Qed

    0_Qed, Dec 18, 2004
  14. FreedWillie

    matt Guest

    well i cant really complain, it only supports up to the 2200. and its
    served me well for years w/ my old amd 1.33..

    matt

    matt, Dec 20, 2004