KG7-RAID help needed!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Hill, Dec 10, 2006.

  1. Hill

    Hill Guest

    I have retired my KG7-RAID board to the status of second machine, fitted it
    with a drive caddy and was successfully running it with two IDE drives; a
    different OS on each. Drive one is a Samsung 12.9GB running Ubuntu 6.06,
    and drive two was an IBM Deskstar 41GB running WinXP, like I say, all
    running fine.

    Following the acquisition of an 80GB SATA boot drive for my main system, I
    wanted to replace the 41GB Deskstar with the 82.3GB Hitachi Deskstar
    previously serving as boot/program file drive on my main system. This is
    where the fun began.

    Swapping the drives in the caddy was a brezze, but when I tried to boot with
    the new XP drive in place it hung during the post at "Verifying DMI pool
    data", yet would boot from the Linux drive ok.

    I tried clearing the cmos, failsafe defaults, fdisk/mbr, and eventually
    succeeded in getting to the stage where neither drive will boot past
    "Verifying DMI pool data".

    I've spent most of this morning dismantling and re-assembling the system,
    I've tried both drives on both the IDE and RAID channels, and I've
    downloaded and flashed the BIOS - twice! (it was already DM, but I thought I
    might have corrupted it)

    I'm now out of ideas and my A+ course stuff's not much help either, so I
    must once more call upon the massed intellect of the users.

    Has anyone any suggestions?

    DroG
    Hill, Dec 10, 2006

  2. Hill

    0_Qed Guest

    Hill wrote:

    > I have retired my KG7-RAID board to the status of second machine, fitted it
    > with a drive caddy and was successfully running it with two IDE drives; a
    > different OS on each. Drive one is a Samsung 12.9GB running Ubuntu 6.06,
    > and drive two was an IBM Deskstar 41GB running WinXP, like I say, all
    > running fine.

    Send it to 'me' .
    Please.

    > Following the acquisition of an 80GB SATA boot drive for my main system, I
    > wanted to replace the 41GB Deskstar with the 82.3GB Hitachi Deskstar
    > previously serving as boot/program file drive on my main system. This is
    > where the fun began.

    :)

    > Swapping the drives in the caddy was a brezze, but when I tried to boot with
    > the new XP drive in place it hung during the post at "Verifying DMI pool
    > data", yet would boot from the Linux drive ok.

    Assumed rack/tray in your main system , maybe same in the KG&R.

    You've run up against the "stored" DMI data pool ,
    having once achieving a stable boot ,
    and,
    stored behind(usually) the bios code in your 'prom' .
    "It" reflects the =old= CPU config of your =old= PC config ...
    not the new one.
    The DMI data pool can relect (?old?)existing card/devices/etc ,
    well above the CMOS data.

    The solution is to start with a =fresh= install of a =similar=
    bios rev ...
    it "effectively" zaps the stored DMA config , start a new.

    Not much out there , on DMA "pools".

    Just to be safe ,
    I =store= a copy of a stable boot of my bios_prom ,
    each 'new' PC config,
    JIC.

    Linus( I assume )
    soon dispenes with a 'bios' ,
    runs its own "bios" , and 'probe'.

    W98 aughta close match the DMA pool , +\- , in your Reg.
    XP is more exact, and much more critical.

    I 'suspect' both PC suffer similar.

    > I tried clearing the cmos, failsafe defaults, fdisk/mbr, and eventually
    > succeeded in getting to the stage where neither drive will boot past
    > "Verifying DMI pool data".

    It can be 'done' ... getting to that stage.

    Depending upon the 'goodness' of the bios code to "redo" a bummed
    'config',
    it can be toublesome , at best.
    .. "adds" seem to work ... mostly ,
    .. 'deletes' are questionable ,
    .. 'add/drop' a bummer.

    Start 'anew' .

    > I've spent most of this morning dismantling and re-assembling the system,
    > I've tried both drives on both the IDE and RAID channels, and I've
    > downloaded and flashed the BIOS - twice! (it was already DM, but I thought I
    > might have corrupted it)

    Your 'mention' of reflash ...
    aught to have 'done' it .
    ???

    Send it to me. :)
    Pretty Please.

    > I'm now out of ideas and my A+ course stuff's not much help either, so I
    > must once more call upon the massed intellect of the users.
    > Has anyone any suggestions?

    Qed.
    0_Qed, Dec 10, 2006

  3. Hill

    Amir Facade Guest

    You don't say if you were trying a fresh install of XP on the 82.3GB when
    first installing it in the KG7 or if you were just trying to boot from the
    OS you had on it in the original machine.
    If you didn't reinstall XP on the drive when you first put it in the KG7 it
    won't work because it was set up on the new machine.
    Of course you could clone the 41GB onto the 82.3GB drive and that should
    boot.
    Amir

    Amir Facade, Dec 10, 2006
  4. Hill

    Amir Facade Guest

    My bad I hit the wrong button.
    I should have replied to the group so we could get some more input.
    I ve pasted your reply to me here and my answer to that reply.

    Subject: Re: KG7-RAID help needed!

    "Amir Facade" <> wrote in message
    > You don't say if you were trying a fresh install of XP on the 82.3GB when
    > first installing it in the KG7 or if you were just trying to boot from the
    > OS you had on it in the original machine.
    > If you didn't reinstall XP on the drive when you first put it in the KG7
    > it
    > won't work because it was set up on the new machine.
    > Of course you could clone the 41GB onto the 82.3GB drive and that should
    > boot.
    > Amir

    Hi Amir,

    I was just trying to boot the Os I had on the original. I think I see your
    point, but how does that explain the fact that my unchanged Linux Drive is
    now exhibiting the same behaviour? Would a fresh install of XP onto the
    80GB drive work? Would it cure the problem with the Linux drive?

    I'm just going to put the 40GB drive back and see if that will boot now, or
    if I've snafu'd the whole system.

    Regards,
    DroG

    Sorry, I must have read your original post wrong when you said that the
    Linux drive worked OK.
    Pull everything from the motherboard and reinsert.
    Sometimes on the older systems you get just a little bit of corrosion on a
    connector and it shuts down the whole thing.
    A hard drive with an OS that was installed while the drive was in another
    system will never boot up without difficulty unless of course you have the
    exact same components installed. Most times it won't boot at all unless you
    do at least a repair install of the OS.

    Amir
    Amir Facade, Dec 10, 2006
  5. Hill

    Hill Guest

    > I was just trying to boot the Os I had on the original. I think I see
    your
    > point, but how does that explain the fact that my unchanged Linux Drive is
    > now exhibiting the same behaviour? Would a fresh install of XP onto the
    > 80GB drive work? Would it cure the problem with the Linux drive?
    >
    > I'm just going to put the 40GB drive back and see if that will boot now,

    or
    > if I've snafu'd the whole system.
    >
    > Regards,
    > DroG
    >

    > Sorry, I must have read your original post wrong when you said that the
    > Linux drive worked OK.
    > Pull everything from the motherboard and reinsert.
    > Sometimes on the older systems you get just a little bit of corrosion on a
    > connector and it shuts down the whole thing.
    > A hard drive with an OS that was installed while the drive was in another
    > system will never boot up without difficulty unless of course you have the
    > exact same components installed. Most times it won't boot at all unless

    you
    > do at least a repair install of the OS.
    >
    > Amir

    Well, the 40GB (XP) drive boots ok, the Linux drive starts to load GRUB then
    re-boots, and goes round in a loop. Will try a fresh install of XP on the
    80GB drive and see if that works. Anyone got any ideas how to rescue my
    Ubuntu Linux drive?

    DroG
    Hill, Dec 10, 2006