KG7 RAID No sound and noisy northbridge fan

Discussion in 'Abit' started by 0_Qed, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. 0_Qed

    0_Qed Guest

    ATK wrote:
    > I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
    > I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there something
    > so obvious that I am missing it?

    :)
    Not sure 'sound' was ever "there" ... or was 'it' ??
    Nah, dont think so.
    But ... maybe.

    I liked =that= one ...
    :)
    If I could 'eat' mine, I'd "pass" it to the "X".

    > Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to I
    > lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.

    There aughta be a small, circular 'sticky' label centered atop the fan,
    "Start"(lift) an edge ... xacto knife/pin/needle ? ,
    remove intact, use a toothpick with 1/4 'drop'
    =sewing= machine oil to lube the bbg(a bushing, not a ball).
    =Replace= intact label.
    Repeat when noizy.

    ATK, Nov 23, 2004

  3. 0_Qed

    TomG Guest

    you can usually raise a label on the fan to get some light machine oil down
    into the fan. my experience is that if you use too heavy an oil, the fan
    may not start in cooler temperatures.

    as for the onboard sound, you will need to provide some additional
    information... have you enabled it in the bios? does any sound device show
    in the device manager?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 23, 2004
  4. "ATK" <> wrote in message
    > I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
    > I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there
    > something so obvious that I am missing it?

    Erm, well, yes, there quite possibly is something really obvious, but
    without telling us what you've done and what the exact nature of the problem
    is, it's not like we can offer any advice. You want to throw us a bone?

    Knowing whether you've activated the audio controller in the BIOS, knowing
    whether it appears in the POST component summary screen, and whether or not
    Windows attempted to plug and play it after you (presumably) activated the
    controller would all be a help.

    > Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to
    > I lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.

    Remove the fan from the heatsink, peel back or remove the label on its
    reverse side and put a drop of light oil in there. Three in One or similar
    multipurpose oil, or something a touch thicker will do. WD40 and similar is
    too light.

    > Help please.

    If you want us to help you, you're going to have to learn that we're not
    telepathic.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 23, 2004
  5. 0_Qed

    ATK Guest

    I can find no mention of it in BIOS.
    Experimentally I have just moved it to another PCI slot. W98SE immediately
    picked it up as a CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device and called for the W98 Disk.
    No problems with instal.
    Device manager under PCI heading correctly shows drivers (10), everything in
    order and no conflicts - likewise with the game port.
    The backplate shows (from top), mic-in, line-in, front-out, back-out.
    Is there any sound I can generate to test.
    Speakers are built in to a new Medion flat screen and are turned on.
    However, just in case, I have also tried other speakers.
    I can try another sound card but I am quite sure it's the MB. Where should I
    find reference in the BIOS?
    Thanks for the tip on oiling.

    ATK, Nov 23, 2004
  6. 0_Qed

    Russ Guest

    windows 98???? what's that??? hehehe....

    --
    Russ

    Visit Alaska @ http://www.tannersacre.com

    Russ, Nov 23, 2004
  7. 0_Qed

    TomG Guest

    you may have a good point there... not sure that board *did* have onboard
    sound!

    TomG, Nov 23, 2004
  8. 0_Qed

    TomG Guest

    you won't find a reference to the add-in sound card in the main board
    bios... you would only fine a reference in the bios if there were and
    integrated, onboard sound chip.

    TomG, Nov 23, 2004
  9. "ATK" <> wrote in message...
    >I can find no mention of it in BIOS.

    Well, that's hardly surprising is it? If you expect us to help you you're
    going to have to tell us the full facts up front, not piss us about with
    half the story. Why didn't you tell us beforehand you were talking about a
    standalone PCI soundcard? Seeing as you didn't mention this at all, we
    assumed with all this talk of "activating" it that you were talking about an
    onboard sound codec.

    > Device manager under PCI heading correctly shows drivers (10), everything
    > in order and no conflicts - likewise with the game port.

    Right, so what's the problem then, no noise coming out?

    > The backplate shows (from top), mic-in, line-in, front-out, back-out.

    Are we supposed to guess what make it is from that? Why don't you tell us?

    > Is there any sound I can generate to test.

    You know far better than we do what sound files are on *your* PC. Search for
    some .wav files and click on them. With a bit of luck Windows Media Player
    (or similar) will pop up and try and play them.

    > I can try another sound card but I am quite sure it's the MB.

    If Device Manager isn't reporting any conflicts or driver errors, and there
    aren't any crashes when you try and play a sound, it's definitely not the
    motherboard.

    > Where should I find reference in the BIOS?

    You won't if it's a PCI soundcard. Check the sound mixer applet to see if
    the volume's down or muted, and make certain you've got the speakers
    corrected to the right output.

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 23, 2004