KN1 SLI Extreme Won't Power On - well sometimes!

Discussion in 'ECS' started by ryan@fallawake.net, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a new build I'm doing and I can't get the KN1 SLI Extreme mobo t
    power on. I've tried using a 400 watt and 420 watt power supplies wit
    24 pin connectors onto the board. The NIC lights light up but I can'
    get the fans to spin or anything else to do anthing. I don't have an
    drives or anything installed besides the two 1GB Patriot DDR400 stick
    and an AMD XP 3400 CPU.

    The weird thing is when I hook up an hold 350 watt 20 pin (not 24 pin
    I can get the mobo to boot up although since I don't have the vide
    card installed I don't know if it will post. But I don't really wan
    it too since 350 watts probably won't handle what I'll be doing wit
    it

    's Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m8
    View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t17376

    , Feb 19, 2006

  2. Eric Wolfe Guest

    ""
    <> wrote in message

    > I have a new build I'm doing and I can't get the KN1 SLI Extreme mobo to
    > power on. I've tried using a 400 watt and 420 watt power supplies with
    > 24 pin connectors onto the board. The NIC lights light up but I can't
    > get the fans to spin or anything else to do anthing. I don't have any
    > drives or anything installed besides the two 1GB Patriot DDR400 sticks
    > and an AMD XP 3400 CPU.
    >
    > The weird thing is when I hook up an hold 350 watt 20 pin (not 24 pin)
    > I can get the mobo to boot up although since I don't have the video
    > card installed I don't know if it will post. But I don't really want
    > it too since 350 watts probably won't handle what I'll be doing with
    > it.

    Are you testing the board in or out of the case?

    --
    Eric

    Eric Wolfe, Feb 19, 2006

  3. Kawosa Guest

    <ryanfallawake.net.23hn1z@no-
    mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in news:ryanfallawake.net.23hn1z@no-
    mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au:

    > AMD XP 3400 CPU

    Are you sure that the Barton CPU is compatable?

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0607-2, 02/16/2006
    Tested on: 2/19/2006 7:41:32 PM

    Kawosa, Feb 20, 2006
  4. Guest

    , Feb 20, 2006
  5. Guest

    The ECS KN1 SLI Extreme supports

    Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.E6) 3200+ (512KB,1000 MHz,939) YES
    Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.E4) 3200+ (512KB,,939) YES
    Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.E3) 3200+ (512KB,1000 MHz,939) YES
    Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.D0) 3200+ (512KB,1000 MHz,939) YES
    Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.CG) 3200+ (512KB,1000 MHz,939) YES

    How do I tell if the above are in fact the Venice version that I have

    's Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m8
    View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t17376

    , Feb 20, 2006
  6. Guest

    Here are my specs in case this helps.

    ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Cas
    420W Power Supply

    ECS KN1 SLI Extreme (1.0A) Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD

    POWERCOLOR R37L-SC3D Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 256MB Hyper Memory(128
    VRAM on board) DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model

    Patriot Signature 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200
    Unbuffered System Memory

    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HD

    BenQ Black ATA/ATAPI DVD Burner With LightScribe Model DW1655 - OE

  7. Eric Wolfe Guest

    My only suggestion is to try running it outside the case. For reasons I've
    yet to understand, that's how I got my NFORCE3-A rolling. Something's
    touching somewhere but I can't seem to see where - it might even be touching
    inside the powersupply. Even more strange is that an old Asus P5A 300Mhz
    is working inside the same case the NFORCE3-A will only work outside of.
    Do you mount your motherboards with metal standoffs all the way around?

    --
    Eric

    Eric Wolfe, Feb 20, 2006
  8. Guest

    Dude, you nailed it!!! Somewhere the mobo was touching, something
    somewhere. I realligned it and boom it powered up just fine!!! I'

    Thanks!!

    's Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m8
    View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t17376

    , Feb 21, 2006
  9. Eric Wolfe Guest

    You're welcome. It's nice to be right sometimes. I was even hesitant to
    post the suggestion because it seemed so unlikely, but since I had just been
    bitten, I figured it was worth the shot. I just hope it was really that
    problem and it's not just fooling you with some other intermittent factor.
    My problem had me stumped for quite a while. I still haven't gotten back to
    it. I put an old board in the problem case and planned to buy a new one for
    the NFORCE3-A, just in case.

    Just take comfort in the fact that in the old days of clone MB's, a short to
    ground would have fried the board. Now it just triggers a polyfuse and the
    machine shuts down.

    --
    Eric

    Eric Wolfe, Feb 22, 2006