    opinions
    gratefully received!

    Cheers all...... Les

    Les &/or Claire, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Les &/or Claire

    Robert Akins Guest

    I too have a KT3 Ultra2 (non-ARU); I just upgraded from an XP 2000+ Palomino
    (1.66GHz, 266 FSB) to an XP-M 2400+ Barton mobile processor (2.25GHz, 333
    FSB) and it works great. The Barton mobile CPUs originally ran at 266MHz
    FSB but run at 333MHz FSB all day long with no problems; it's a drop-in
    upgrade (of course, you have to change the FSB in the BIOS). I don't have
    any numbers for comparison but I am very pleased for $75 investment (plus
    HSF but I could have probably kept using the 2000+ HSF). I am using a 512MB
    stick of Kingston PC2700 DDR and will go to 1GB when I find another stick on
    sale. I am also still using my original 350W power supply. If you wanted
    to spend a little more money ($100) you could go up to an XP-M 2600+ Barton,
    and at 333MHz FSB have the equivalent of the 3000+. Search on eBay for XP-M
    or Athlon mobile CPU. If you haven't already, update your BIOS to the 5.7
    version before swapping CPUs. The Barton has a larger cache so at the same
    MHz it will perform significantly better than the T'Bred.
    Robert
    "Les &/or Claire" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All!
    > Well, I'm sat here with a KT3 Ultra 2 aru with an Athlon XP 2400+ and

    512Mb
    > of PC 2700 ram. Now, with the prices dropping of the 333fsb chips I'm
    > thinking of upgrading my current cpu to take advantage of the 333 fsb on

    the
    > board. Also, I just got another KT3 Ultra 2 to build a business machine

    for
    > my partner. So old cpu has a home and I have to get some kind of cpu

    anyway.
    > May as well be a step up for me and pass down the 2400+ to my partners
    > machine. What sort of performance increase am I looking at if I went for

    the
    > AMD XP2600 Barton [1.91,512,333]OEM, and what would be the advantages of

    the

    Robert Akins, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Thanks Robert! Sorry i missed your reply for so long... that was just the
    info i was looking for :eek:)

    Les

    --
    Remove Frontal Lobes to Reply

    http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

    "Why of course the people don't want war. But after all, it is the
    leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a
    simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or
    a fascist dictatorship, Voice or no voice, the people can always be
    brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to
    do is to tell them that they are being attacked, and denounce the
    pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."

    -Herman Goering,
    Hiltler's designated successor

    http://www.stuffmongers.com/

    Les &/or Claire, Oct 20, 2004