    correctly according to the manual. I tested the cpu in another board
    and it runs OK. Does anyone know what is wrong here? What am I
    missing?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

    kjs80, Dec 28, 2004

  2. kjs80

    JoshIII Guest

    Boot from Windows XP CD to the Recovery Console, then run:

    chkdsk /p (it will usually say found one or more errors on the disk)

    then run:

    chkdsk /r (it will probably find and repair errors. If it finds
    "unrecoverable errors" its time to reformat Hard Drive)

    If your still can't boot from the Hard Drive, then:

    Set BIOS to boot from the XP CD. If you have an Upgrade CD, choose "Install
    Operarting System", then choose "Repair existing Operating System" from the
    Windows Setup (Blue Text Screen).

    This will repair the operating system to the level of revisions from the CD
    (SP1 or SP2, etc.). All your applications should still work however. You
    will not need to reinstall any of your applications.

    Then to get your computer back to SP2, its no problem because Windows XP
    saves SP2 on the hard drive from the first installion.

    Hope this helps!

    JoshIII
    upstate south carolina

    JoshIII, Dec 28, 2004

  3. kjs80

    Andrew K Guest

    I just installed am Athlon XP 3000+ into my Dragon Ultra Platinum KT400. The
    system ran just fine with the newest BIOS upgrade and my old Athlon XP
    2100+, 512 MB of Kingston DDR 333. As soon as the 3000+ went in, the system
    became very unstable with random reboots and some of the reboots froze
    midway. In the end, it would not boot at all. I felt it was due to improper
    frequency/timing settings in the BIOS setup but I decided to go back to the
    old CPU temporarily. The system works fine now as it did before. I'll give
    it another go when I'm feeling lucky.

    Andrew K, Jan 19, 2005
  4. kjs80

    hachiroku Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:50:09 -0800, Andrew K wrote:

    > I just installed am Athlon XP 3000+ into my Dragon Ultra Platinum KT400. The
    > system ran just fine with the newest BIOS upgrade and my old Athlon XP
    > 2100+, 512 MB of Kingston DDR 333. As soon as the 3000+ went in, the system
    > became very unstable with random reboots and some of the reboots froze
    > midway. In the end, it would not boot at all. I felt it was due to improper
    > frequency/timing settings in the BIOS setup but I decided to go back to the
    > old CPU temporarily. The system works fine now as it did before. I'll give
    > it another go when I'm feeling lucky.
    >
    > "kjs80" <> wrote in message
    >>I have been having a real hard time with my KT400 dragon ultra
    >> plantinum board ever since I upgraded my cpu to an Athlon 3000+. My old
    >> cpu was an 1800+ which I never had a problem with. Ever since I put in
    >> this new chip I have been getting bsod's during the Win XP install. I
    >> was getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL but I seemed to have cured that

    I have noticed that XP is VERY picky about CPU speed! Are you
    overclocking?
    I was running an 1800+ at 2.1G with NO PROBELMS on Win2K and SuSE linux.
    the Linux will take any clock frequency I set and ask for more. Win2K
    stopped at 2.15G, and XP I have to set the clock speed to a MAX of 1900.
    XP is giving me so many problems on this system I'm blowing it away and
    going back to 2K. Sometimes it even reboots before the OS has finished

    I haven't noticed on MS website; for Win '95 OSR 2.5 you had to download a
    patch for AMD CPUs over 350MHz.

    hachiroku, Mar 10, 2005