    memorystick is an 'PEAK III USB 2.0 FLASH DRIVE'

    Thanks all,
    André
    André, PE1PQX, Mar 16, 2007

  2. André, PE1PQX formuleerde op vrijdag :
    > Hi,
    >
    > thank you for reading this.
    >
    > I have a MSI KT6 Delta FIRS motherboard (MS-6590 v2.0) with latest BIOS and
    > drivers (OS here is WinXP Pro, SP2)
    > When I plug in a 1 Gbyte USB memorystick or my 1 GByte MP3 player, the
    > datarate seems to drop down.
    > Example: copy 20 MByte to the USB stick and/or MP3 player takes about a
    > minute, wile it should be more faster.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue??
    >
    > The MP3 player is an 'Creative Muvo TX USB 2.0', and the USB memorystick is
    > an 'PEAK III USB 2.0 FLASH DRIVE'
    >
    > Thanks all,
    > André

    No one knows?!?!?!

    Please....
    André, PE1PQX, Mar 20, 2007

  3. André, PE1PQX

    Paul Guest

    André wrote:
    > André, PE1PQX formuleerde op vrijdag :
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> thank you for reading this.
    >>
    >> I have a MSI KT6 Delta FIRS motherboard (MS-6590 v2.0) with latest
    >> BIOS and drivers (OS here is WinXP Pro, SP2)
    >> When I plug in a 1 Gbyte USB memorystick or my 1 GByte MP3 player, the
    >> datarate seems to drop down.
    >> Example: copy 20 MByte to the USB stick and/or MP3 player takes about
    >> a minute, wile it should be more faster.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a clue??
    >>
    >> The MP3 player is an 'Creative Muvo TX USB 2.0', and the USB
    >> memorystick is an 'PEAK III USB 2.0 FLASH DRIVE'
    >>
    >> Thanks all,
    >> André

    > No one knows?!?!?!
    >
    > Please....

    Well, if we had a dollar for every USB device that didn't work right,
    we'd be millionaires.

    These are some basic tools for listing hardware:

    Everest Home Edition (Lavalys - payware versions also available)
    Provides basic views of the presence of hardware.
    If it wasn't for this, I'd have to use Linux :)

    UVCView (Microsoft) - shows stuff plugged to USB ports
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/vidcap/UVCViewdwn.mspx

    Device Manager - built into Windows - shows hardware entries/drivers used

    And these are some links for debugging USB problems:

    http://www.usbman.com/USB 2 News.htm

    The first step is checking for an "Enhanced" entry in Device Manager.
    In this example, the "NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller", is
    an example of an entry created by a PCI card with a NEC USB2 chip on it.
    Having an Enhanced entry in Device Manager, with a Microsoft driver
    attached to it, is one part of getting the full performance.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

    Using at least WinXP Server Pack 1 (SP1), should have given you a
    standard USB2 driver for your card.

    And this procedure, removing USB entries while in Safe Mode, will
    cause the OS to rediscover the hardware and reinstall the drivers
    available in the OS, on the next reboot.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup Device Manager Safe Mode.htm

    Try that stuff first, and see how it goes.

    And note that not all flash memory devices, have the same level of
    performance. It wasn't that long ago, that some of them could
    barely do 1MB/sec. Good ones now, can do 20MB/sec. But they're not
    all good ones.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 20, 2007