    to dissipate the heat, but i would like something that works (passive
    is preferable to active if that's possible as it's much quieter).

    Anyone have a suggestion?

    prozach, Feb 10, 2005

  2. prozach

    Eric Parker Guest

    "prozach" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > The chipset fan on my old KT7A-RAID motherboard is going out (making
    > all sorts of horrible noises). Anyone have some suggestions as to a
    > replacement? I dont mind getting one from ABIT but i also don’t mind
    > getting one from another vendor as long as it fits.
    >
    > It's for a linux box/web server so i'm not over clocking it or doing
    > anything crazy extreme that I’ll need a 10kg block of copper blades
    > to dissipate the heat, but i would like something that works (passive
    > is preferable to active if that's possible as it's much quieter).
    >
    > Anyone have a suggestion?

    prozach

    I had that same problem a couple of months ago.
    Not sure where you are but I got one of these from www.aria.co.uk.
    Case Fan. FAN-ENE-4. £5 + vat

    Took a couple of minutes to replace.

    eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

    Eric Parker, Feb 10, 2005

  3. prozach

    GlassVial Guest

    >The chipset fan on my old KT7A-RAID motherboard is going out (making
    >all sorts of horrible noises). Anyone have some suggestions as to a
    >replacement? I dont mind getting one from ABIT but i also don’t mind
    >getting one from another vendor as long as it fits.
    >
    >It's for a linux box/web server so i'm not over clocking it or doing
    >anything crazy extreme that I’ll need a 10kg block of copper blades
    >to dissipate the heat, but i would like something that works (passive
    >is preferable to active if that's possible as it's much quieter).
    >
    >Anyone have a suggestion?

    Yeah re-oil it.

    http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

    Otherwise replace with a chipset fan such as

    http://www.3dcool.com/Details.asp?cid=38&id=722

    -GV

    GlassVial, Feb 10, 2005
  4. prozach

    Thundarr Guest

    prozach wrote:

    > The chipset fan on my old KT7A-RAID motherboard is going out (making
    > all sorts of horrible noises). Anyone have some suggestions as to a
    > replacement? I dont mind getting one from ABIT but i also don’t mind
    > getting one from another vendor as long as it fits.
    >
    > It's for a linux box/web server so i'm not over clocking it or doing
    > anything crazy extreme that I’ll need a 10kg block of copper blades
    > to dissipate the heat, but i would like something that works (passive
    > is preferable to active if that's possible as it's much quieter).
    >
    > Anyone have a suggestion?

    I picked one up from my local computer shop for a couple of bucks. You
    can also get one from Abit's parts store for $11:

    http://www.abit-usa.com/abitparts/

    Thundarr, Feb 10, 2005
  5. prozach

    Erik Hayn Guest

    just go the straight passive way.
    any 60 mm alu heatsink should do the work - as for me since years.
    just glue it with heatconducting adhesive onto the northbridge.
    it never makes noise anymore and is cheep or without a charge if you
    have one.

    Erik Hayn, Feb 10, 2005
  6. prozach

    prozach Guest

    actually i'm located in the US, but you recomend a 4cm replacement
    fan, i'm sure i'll be able to find one on this side of the Atlantic
    i'll start searching for that.

    prozach, Feb 10, 2005
  7. prozach

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:15:42 -0500, prozach wrote:

    > actually i'm located in the US, but you recomend a 4cm replacement fan,
    > i'm sure i'll be able to find one on this side of the Atlantic i'll start
    > searching for that.

    It doesn't need the fan. Either oil the one you have or toss it. if you're
    paranoid, get a passive cooler, but I ran mine for quite some time without
    a fan. It had completely died. another I just oiled. eventually just got a
    standard 40mm fan and put on it.

    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

    Wes Newell, Feb 10, 2005
  8. prozach

    Russ Guest

    When my (KT7) chipset fan died I took an old 486 heatsink, hack sawed and
    filed one to the size, superglued it on the chipset and there she has been
    for 3 years. I had to change some caps in the old girl, but she still runs
    pretty good. It's my back up computer now.

    Runs good and is stable. About the most longest lasting motherboard series I
    can think of. I've had it over 4 years. It has a modified (a bitch to do)
    Athlon XP 1700MHZ chip (17x100mhz bus) with 778 megs ram.

    --
    Russ

    Visit Alaska @ http://www.tannersacre.com

    Russ, Feb 12, 2005