KT7A RAID

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Dave, Mar 25, 2009.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi,
    my old board seems to have died and I wondered if it is possible to use my
    RAID drives on another setup without losing all the data etc. Would a new
    raid system read the old Highpoint raid.

    Thanks in anticipation,
    Dave

    1. Advertising

  2. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Hi,
    > my old board seems to have died

    Symptoms ? You know it might be the 'bad caps' thing. Those boards were well
    made.

    > and I wondered if it is possible to use my
    > RAID drives on another setup without losing all the data etc. Would a new
    > raid system read the old Highpoint raid.

    Ought to I'd have thought. Only Highpoint would know but it was a very popular
    RAID controller. I think it's equivalent to the model 370 you could get as a
    PCI card.

    http://www.google.com/search?a&rls=en&q=highpoint 370

    Graham

    1. Advertising

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi,
    thanks for the reply. I cannot see any bad caps. After trying just about
    everything I have found it will boot to my IDE 1 (no raid) disk (W98) by
    removing the middle memory. It seems the slot is at fault, not the memory
    itself. Strange.

    Now trying to get the RAID working but using Recovery Console from my CD
    CHKDSKsays the disk has 'unrecoverable errors' so back to the drawing board
    again!

    Regards,
    Dave

    "Eeyore" <> wrote in message

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> my old board seems to have died

    > Symptoms ? You know it might be the 'bad caps' thing. Those boards were
    > well
    > made.
    >

    >> and I wondered if it is possible to use my
    >> RAID drives on another setup without losing all the data etc. Would a
    >> new
    >> raid system read the old Highpoint raid.

    > Ought to I'd have thought. Only Highpoint would know but it was a very
    > popular
    > RAID controller. I think it's equivalent to the model 370 you could get as
    > PCI card.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?a&rls=en&q=highpoint 370
    >
    > Graham

  4. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Hi,
    > thanks for the reply. I cannot see any bad caps.

    When you can see them bulged, top split or leaking it's obvious but some defects
    such as simply 'drying up' may not be visible. I'd certainly consider a complete
    re-cap of the electrolytics.
    http://www.badcaps.net/

    > After trying just about
    > everything I have found it will boot to my IDE 1 (no raid) disk (W98) by
    > removing the middle memory. It seems the slot is at fault, not the memory
    > itself. Strange.

    Yes, that is odd. If you have a ( smallish ) soldering iron it may pay to remake
    the joints for the memory connector. DO be careful about anti-static precautions
    btw. And wear cotton clothing only, it won't build up static on yourself.

    > Now trying to get the RAID working but using Recovery Console from my CD
    > CHKDSKsays the disk has 'unrecoverable errors' so back to the drawing board
    > again!

    I don't think a RAID disk is formatted the same way as Microsoft likes it. That
    would explain it.

    Graham

  5. RonM

    RonM Guest

    Rebuild NF7S 2.0

    Is there anyone around who can go through one of these boards and
    replace capacitors w/good ones and generally put it back in shape?

    --
    Ron Marraccini