KT7A &USB 2.0 Anyone working OK?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by obxgeorge, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. obxgeorge

    obxgeorge Guest

    I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
    XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
    has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
    installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
    and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
    plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
    Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
    Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
    drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
    SP2.
    Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
    chip?

    1. Advertising

  2. ARR

    ARR Guest

    Does it slow down your system to slower than a crawl? Perhaps you
    should try the card in another pci slot. I had to try 3 different slots
    before it worked without making the system move slower hell.

    obxgeorge wrote:
    > I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
    > XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
    > has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
    > installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
    > and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
    > plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
    > Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
    > Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
    > drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
    > SP2.
    > Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
    > chip?

    1. Advertising

  3. obxgeorge

    obxgeorge Guest

    Tried different slots, doesn't work at all. Get message "USB device
    not recognized"

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:58:06 GMT, ARR <>
    wrote:

    >Does it slow down your system to slower than a crawl? Perhaps you
    >should try the card in another pci slot. I had to try 3 different slots
    >before it worked without making the system move slower hell.
    >

    >obxgeorge wrote:
    >> I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
    >> XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
    >> has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
    >> installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
    >> and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
    >> plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
    >> Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
    >> Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
    >> drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
    >> SP2.
    >> Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
    >> chip?

  4. - HAL9000

    - HAL9000 Guest

    There was a similar message exchange on USB problems a few days ago.
    I think the problem identified then was that winxp SP2 was installed
    over existing drivers. LOL, from what I have seen, winxp has had
    problems with USB 2.0 since "day 1" of winxp (usb 2.0 has always been
    a problem).

    I think a fix (based on earlier) would be to remove/uninstall all USB
    drivers, reboot, and then let winxp redetect the device(s). If it
    doesn't work then, then reinstall the card's drivers after that.

    I get the impression that: winxp sp1 -> install usb card -> upgrade
    to winxp sp2 path breaks the winxp usb driver.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:32:34 GMT, obxgeorge <>
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
    >XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
    >has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
    >installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
    >and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
    >plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
    >Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
    >Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
    >drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
    >SP2.
    >Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
    >chip?

  5. obxgeorge

    obxgeorge Guest

    Have done all that. Removed everthing in safe mode, rebooted and let
    XP find everthing. Says drivers not needed. Tried to install supplied
    drivers and get told drivers from XP already installed. Changed to
    supplied drivers, no change. Never had USB installed in SP1.
    Only installed USB with SP2 and USB 1.1 worked fine. Right now I have
    both USB 1 from the MOBO working OK and the add-in card for USB 2.0
    not detecting any device. Tried disabling the bios usb enable and all
    it does is disable the USB 1 ports.
    I did see somewhere where that some combo cards will not work in a PCI
    3.3v slot. Any idea what the PCI voltage is on the KT7A ?

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:22:30 -0600, - HAL9000 <> wrote:

    >There was a similar message exchange on USB problems a few days ago.
    >I think the problem identified then was that winxp SP2 was installed
    >over existing drivers. LOL, from what I have seen, winxp has had
    >problems with USB 2.0 since "day 1" of winxp (usb 2.0 has always been
    >a problem).
    >
    >I think a fix (based on earlier) would be to remove/uninstall all USB
    >drivers, reboot, and then let winxp redetect the device(s). If it
    >doesn't work then, then reinstall the card's drivers after that.
    >
    >I get the impression that: winxp sp1 -> install usb card -> upgrade
    >to winxp sp2 path breaks the winxp usb driver.
    >
    >Forrest
    >
    >Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    >http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
    >

    >On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:32:34 GMT, obxgeorge <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
    >>XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
    >>has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
    >>installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
    >>and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
    >>plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
    >>Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
    >>Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
    >>drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
    >>SP2.
    >>Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
    >>chip?

  6. erik©

    erik© Guest

    Read below:

    The exception to this rule is the KT266 based motherboard. Install the New
    74 Patch.zip for all KT266 Mainboards. This above New 74 Patch is for KT266
    based motherboards ONLY.

    USB 2.0 Drivers

    Note: Please do not get confused which type of USB controller you have. This
    article should clarify any questions you may have.

    WinXP - Due to licensing agreements, USB 2.0 drivers are not available for
    download. USB 2.0 drivers are supplied on CD with new mainboards. If you
    have misplaced the driver CD or have questions about the USB 2.0 driver,
    please contact your motherboard manufacturer or Microsoft.
    Win2K - Due to licensing agreements, USB 2.0 drivers are not available for
    download. USB 2.0 drivers are available through Windows Update.
    Win98/SE/ME - Please download and install these drivers. (Package V2.42L)
    Linux - USB 2.0 support is available in kernel 2.5.2 or later. Further
    information.

    VIA USB Filter Driver Confusion.
    There has been much contradictory information posted regarding the use of
    the VIA USB Filter Driver.
    Please Read the following information from Fiona Gatt of VIA:
    The 1.10 filter patch fixes very specific issues under specific
    circumstances, described below. Users who are unsure as to whether they
    should install the patch can be assured that if they do install the patch,
    even if it is not necessary, it will cause no harm to their system. The
    patch will detect your systems configuration and install only when
    necessary. If it has not installed then there is no need to try to install
    it manually. The patch will only install on certain older VIA host
    controller revisions. Under these circumstances, the patch will resolve the
    following issues:

    Fixes the issue when a connected USB hub that has no USB devices connected
    will be disabled after another USB hub is attached at another available root
    port.
    Fixes the issue when transferring large of amounts of data, the system will
    hang.
    Avoids noise from a USB audio converter or speaker.
    Supports a USB add-on card.
    Under Win2000/XP: This patch will save all register values in the memory
    before a system enters Stand By mode and then restore those registers when
    the systems resumes. This therefore avoids the situation where USB devices
    are not ready for use after a resume from Stand By mode.

    -------------------------
    Fiona Gatt

    VIA Arena Team
    Web Media Liaison
    VIA Technologies, Inc.

    What to Do - Installing the USB Filter Driver - Yes or No

    Try to get your system working without installing the USB Filter.
    Adjust the BIOS settings (Your best chance)
    Follow all of the troubleshooting steps
    Install OS and/or Chipset specific patches if applicable.
    If USB is still not working, install the USB Filter Driver
    USB 1.10 Filter Patch Zip File Unzip to install.
    The exception to this rule is the KT266 based motherboard. Install the New
    74 Patch.zip for all KT266 Mainboards. This above New 74 Patch is for KT266
    based motherboards ONLY.
    Note:

    The USB Filter Driver is NOT included in the 4 in 1 Driver File.
    You MUST install the 4 in 1 Drivers before the USB Filter Driver. (All
    Windows Operating Systems EXCEPT WinXP)
    VIA PCI Latency Patch

    VIA Chipsets have a known issue with PCI Latency. Although, specifically
    developed for IDE and sound problems with VIA chipsets, users have reported
    improved performance in other areas including USB and video capture. If USB
    is otherwise working correctly but, not a fast as you would expect, try the
    patch from VIA Hardware
    Download PCI Latency Patch

  7. - HAL9000

    - HAL9000 Guest

    This page says that PCI is 5 volt. It wouldn't make sense for a
    generic USB card to require anything special from the mootherboard.

    http://www.codepedia.com/1/PCI BUS

    Have you tried (in order) disabling onboard usb and remove new card,
    deleting all usb drivers, install new card, let winxp detect card. Of
    course, never installing the new cards drivers unless the manual for
    the new card says it won't work without them.

    I get the impression from erik's post that kt266 needs special care.
    Perhaps not using its usb ports at all would help.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:07:54 GMT, obxgeorge <>
    wrote:

    >Have done all that. Removed everthing in safe mode, rebooted and let
    >XP find everthing. Says drivers not needed. Tried to install supplied
    >drivers and get told drivers from XP already installed. Changed to
    >supplied drivers, no change. Never had USB installed in SP1.
    >Only installed USB with SP2 and USB 1.1 worked fine. Right now I have
    >both USB 1 from the MOBO working OK and the add-in card for USB 2.0
    >not detecting any device. Tried disabling the bios usb enable and all
    >it does is disable the USB 1 ports.
    >I did see somewhere where that some combo cards will not work in a PCI
    >3.3v slot. Any idea what the PCI voltage is on the KT7A ?

    < snip >

  8. Exray

    Exray Guest

    Tyler, are you saying you got the ALI board to work in the KT7A?

    Having tried it in 3 different slots with both the microsoft and the ALI
    drivers, I gave up. I mentioned in another thread somewhere that USBMAN
    suggested that there are quite a few (sorry folks) NEC chip based cards will
    work fine. I bought a Belkin board, NEC chip based, and it works fine in
    the first slot I put it in, the one next to the ISA slot.

    ARR wrote:
    | | Does it slow down your system to slower than a crawl? Perhaps you
    | | should try the card in another pci slot. I had to try 3 different
    | | slots before it worked without making the system move slower hell.
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | | obxgeorge wrote:
    | | | I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A
    | | | with XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems
    | | | everyone has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP
    | | | O.K. and installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the
    | | | parts as OK and all show "working properly". But, it will not
    | | | detect any thing plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
    | | | Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
    | | | Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the
    | | | ALI drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included
    | | | with XP SP2.
    | | | Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an
    | | | NEC chip?
    | | |
    | | |

  9. erik©

    erik© Guest

    Have you tested it to work at usb2.0 speed or does it just work at usb1.0
    speed?

    > Tyler, are you saying you got the ALI board to work in the KT7A?
    >
    > Having tried it in 3 different slots with both the microsoft and the ALI
    > drivers, I gave up. I mentioned in another thread somewhere that USBMAN
    > suggested that there are quite a few (sorry folks) NEC chip based cards
    > will work fine. I bought a Belkin board, NEC chip based, and it works
    > fine in the first slot I put it in, the one next to the ISA slot.
    >
    > ARR wrote:
    > | | Does it slow down your system to slower than a crawl? Perhaps you
    > | | should try the card in another pci slot. I had to try 3 different
    > | | slots before it worked without making the system move slower hell.
    > | |
    > | |
    > | |
    > | | |
    > | | |

  10. Exray

    Exray Guest

    I haven't done a benchmark or monitored bit transfer rate, but clearly it's
    much faster than USB 1.

    When I used the ALI card, USB2 things were not recognized by plug and play,
    USB 1 things were. With that card, when I disabled the USB2 driver, the
    unrecognized USB2 things suddenly woke up -- as USB 1. Now, USB2 things are
    immediately recognized.

    The writing speed of my external USB2 drive is now clearly much faster also
    than the more than an hour that it would take to copy a gigabyte of data
    under USB 1.

    erik© wrote:
    | | Have you tested it to work at usb2.0 speed or does it just work at
    | | usb1.0 speed?
    | |
    | |
    | |

  11. erik©

    erik© Guest

    Fine!,
    First I'm gone try my via based card again to work, if not I'll try a
    belkin.

    >I haven't done a benchmark or monitored bit transfer rate, but clearly it's
    >much faster than USB 1.
    >
    > When I used the ALI card, USB2 things were not recognized by plug and
    > play, USB 1 things were. With that card, when I disabled the USB2 driver,
    > the unrecognized USB2 things suddenly woke up -- as USB 1. Now, USB2
    > things are immediately recognized.
    >
    > The writing speed of my external USB2 drive is now clearly much faster
    > also than the more than an hour that it would take to copy a gigabyte of
    > data under USB 1.
    >
    > erik© wrote:
    > | | Have you tested it to work at usb2.0 speed or does it just work at
    > | | usb1.0 speed?
    > | |
    > | |
    > | |

  12. Exray

    Exray Guest

    Just for informational purposes, have a look at USBMAN on line. One of the
    things he did was to try a slew of USB and USB2 cards on two different
    machines, an Intel based and an AMD/VIA chipset based one. The Belkin card
    was one among quite a few that he gave a checkmark to.

    I'd tried a compaq 3 port NEC based card before, but up near the AGP side of
    the board, not down near the ISA side. It had behaved the same way as the
    ALI, so I didn't hold out all that much hope for the Belkin card, but I
    bought it for less than $15 on ebay, so it was worth a try.

    erik© wrote:
    | | Fine!,
    | | First I'm gone try my via based card again to work, if not I'll try
    | | a belkin.
    | |
    | |
    | | | I haven't done a benchmark or monitored bit transfer rate, but
    | | | clearly it's much faster than USB 1.
    | | |
    | | | When I used the ALI card, USB2 things were not recognized by plug
    | | | and play, USB 1 things were. With that card, when I disabled the
    | | | USB2 driver, the unrecognized USB2 things suddenly woke up -- as
    | | | USB 1. Now, USB2 things are immediately recognized.
    | | |
    | | | The writing speed of my external USB2 drive is now clearly much
    | | | faster also than the more than an hour that it would take to copy
    | | | a gigabyte of data under USB 1.
    | | |

  13. ARR

    ARR Guest

    Sorry for the delay in response... Yes... I had to move the ALI board
    from different pci slots. Initally, I bought it (the ALI Card) before
    reading about the problems with the ALI and the VIA chipset of the KT&A.
    I have the KT7ARaid board. Well, after tinkering a bit, I finally got
    the board to install and be recognized in XP. Also, it recognizes my
    usb devices. When I plugged my IPOD 20gig into the USB 2.0 port, I
    would get random system reboots, then I installed a firewire card and
    have had no problems since.