    The BIOS has been flashed to the latest version already.

    Thanks,

    JB
    Justin Baker, Sep 30, 2006

  2. Justin Baker

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:55:47 +0000, Justin Baker wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently replaced the two 256Mb PC2100 DIMMs in my mother's KV7 based PC
    > with one 1Gb PC3200 DIMM from Crucial. Since doing that, the PC freezes
    > randomly - no blue screen, the mouse pointer just disappears and you have to
    > turn it off or press the reset button - CTRL ALT DEL does nothing.
    >
    > Before I put the old RAM back in, does anyone have any suggestions for BIOS
    > settings or other troubleshooting ideas that might stabilise the system?
    > The BIOS has been flashed to the latest version already.

    Reset (clear) cmos and reboot into memtest and test the ram. Increase dimm
    voltage, lower cl. lower bus. many things you can do.

    Wes Newell, Sep 30, 2006

  3. Justin Baker

    Dylan C Guest

    Justin Baker <justin.baker@ wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently replaced the two 256Mb PC2100 DIMMs in my mother's KV7 based PC
    > with one 1Gb PC3200 DIMM from Crucial. Since doing that, the PC freezes
    > randomly - no blue screen, the mouse pointer just disappears and you have to
    > turn it off or press the reset button - CTRL ALT DEL does nothing.
    >
    > Before I put the old RAM back in, does anyone have any suggestions for BIOS
    > settings or other troubleshooting ideas that might stabilise the system?
    > The BIOS has been flashed to the latest version already.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JB

    I'm assuming that the CPU is still runnig at 133MHz. If this is the
    case, drop the memory bus to match it. Most errors should disappear
    then. Of course, it should run at full speed with no errors. Memtest
    should determine if the problem is with the memory or with some fault in
    wondows.

    -Dylan C
    Dylan C, Sep 30, 2006