KV8-MX - How to set memory timing

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Shadow, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    Cant find it. Using DDR 400, but unstable. Want to try 300.
    Cant find it in manual or actual bios.
    TIA

    1. Advertising

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, Shadow <sh@dow> wrote:

    > Cant find it. Using DDR 400, but unstable. Want to try 300.
    > Cant find it in manual or actual bios.
    > TIA

    Have you tried "Memclock Mode" set to [Manual] ?
    The user manual claims more settings will be exposed if you
    try that setting, but there are no pictures of the new
    settings you will see.

    Paul

    1. Advertising

  3. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:11:01 GMT, (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <>, Shadow <sh@dow> wrote:
    >
    >> Cant find it. Using DDR 400, but unstable. Want to try 300.
    >> Cant find it in manual or actual bios.
    >> TIA

    >Have you tried "Memclock Mode" set to [Manual] ?
    >The user manual claims more settings will be exposed if you
    >try that setting, but there are no pictures of the new
    >settings you will see.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks, the option was grayed out and I assumed it could not be
    changed.
    My memory is Kingston 3200

    Any idea what the best settings might be ?

    The bios had defaulted to 200Mz bus
    I changed that to 400Mz (2:1), and I must confess, no difference felt
    at all.

    TIA

  4. Paul

    <sh@dow> wrote:

    > >> Cant find it. Using DDR 400, but unstable. Want to try 300.
    > >> Cant find it in manual or actual bios.
    > >> TIA

    > >Have you tried "Memclock Mode" set to [Manual] ?
    > >The user manual claims more settings will be exposed if you
    > >try that setting, but there are no pictures of the new
    > >settings you will see.
    > >
    > > Paul

    > Thanks, the option was grayed out and I assumed it could not be
    > changed.
    > My memory is Kingston 3200
    >
    > Any idea what the best settings might be ?
    >
    > The bios had defaulted to 200Mz bus
    > I changed that to 400Mz (2:1), and I must confess, no difference felt
    > at all.
    >
    > TIA

    Get a copy of CPUZ ( www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php ) and verify the
    resulting settings.

    The "CPU" panel shows you the clock fed to the CPU (200.9MHz in
    this example).

    http://www.xtremenews.net/datos/articulos/A8NSLI/cap/CPUz/cpu-z-3500 -2-2-2-5.jpg

    In the "Memory" panel, the frequency shown is the one fed to the
    RAM. The frequency is made, by dividing the core clock by the memory
    divider (shown on the next line of the panel as "CPU/11" in this
    example). The memory clock is 200.9MHz, which is DDR402. If the
    person running this motherboard had selected a lower value in the
    BIOS, this clock would be different than the one feeding the CPU.

    http://www.xtremenews.net/datos/articulos/A8NSLI/cap/CPUz/cpu-z-mem-3500 -2-2-2-5.jpg

    This is an example of an overclocked memory. The clock here is
    280.9MHz, which is DDR562, and is very high by conventional
    standards.

    http://www.xtremenews.net/datos/articulos/A8NSLI/cap/CPUz/cpuz-oc2-a8n-MEM.jpg

    The parameters that have the most effect on the memory bandwidth,
    are the memory frequency and the Command Rate setting. From lowest
    performance to highest performance, they would be

    DDR333 Command Rate 2T
    DDR333 Command Rate 1T
    DDR400 Command Rate 2T
    DDR400 Command Rate 1T (fastest)

    Which setting is appropriate, depends on how many sticks of RAM
    are installed in the motherboard, and which slots they are in.
    Your manual is missing the normal "Table 1", but you can see
    the recommended settings on page 21 of this manual:

    http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/K8N/e1721_k8n.pdf

    The memory operation is a function of the CPU and not the
    chipset, and that is why the Table 1 of the K8N manual can
    be applied to the operation of your motherboard.

    AMD also makes a technical document available, which they
    have updated a number of times. Table 42 on PDF page 175
    contains the same information as in the Asus manual Table 1.
    The two columns on the right, show the maximum memory rate,
    when the Command Rate is set to 1T (command per clock) or
    2T (command per every two clocks). If you are using two
    sticks of RAM, they should go in slot 1 and slot 3. AMD
    says two sticks are only capable of DDR333, but you can try
    a higher setting than that.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26094.PDF

    When you adjust the memory subsystem, and especially if the
    memory is being overclocked, you should test the memory with
    memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org . It is important to
    boot with the memtest86+ floppy first, and test the memory,
    because if you just boot into Windows, your Windows install
    could be corrupted. So be careful with your memory experiments.

    HTH,
    Paul

  5. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:37:26 -0300, in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
    you wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:11:01 GMT, (Paul) wrote:

    (about mem settings in K8V-MX board)
    Great post, maybe a bit over my head, as I could not
    find the "command" option in the bios settings, but I managed to set
    the MB to DDR 400 (it defaults to DDR 200). I was getting the
    hypertransport thingy mixed up with the memory bus speed.
    I tried searching google, but only found out of date
    bios-setting tutorials.
    TNXs for the post