L7VMM-1 USB Pins

Discussion in 'ECS' started by redTed, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. redTed

    redTed Guest

    This one's a bit tricky I'm afraid.
    I'm putting a PC into a new case for a friend and the front panel USB
    ports(2 of) have different leads to the previous case.

    The new ones are marked as follows..

    Power (purple)
    Power (black)
    Gnd (orange)
    Gnd (yellow)
    D2+ (red)
    D2- (brown)
    D3+ (green)
    D3- (blue)

    I know a couple are obvious but I want to make sure I get this right.
    How do these relate to the inputs on the mobo pictured here..
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fatclyde/usb_2.jpg ?

    Thanks for any advice.

    1. Advertising

  2. PJx

    PJx Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:43:43 -0000, "redTed" <>
    wrote:

    >This one's a bit tricky I'm afraid.
    >I'm putting a PC into a new case for a friend and the front panel USB
    >ports(2 of) have different leads to the previous case.
    >
    >The new ones are marked as follows..
    >
    >Power (purple)
    >Power (black)
    >Gnd (orange)
    >Gnd (yellow)
    >D2+ (red)
    >D2- (brown)
    >D3+ (green)
    >D3- (blue)
    >
    >I know a couple are obvious but I want to make sure I get this right.
    >How do these relate to the inputs on the mobo pictured here..
    >http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fatclyde/usb_2.jpg ?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice.

    After hooking up several of these, it becomes pretty standard that
    you have 4 pins with power on one end and ground on the other. Next
    to power end is the low side of signal and next to ground end is high
    side of signal. Sometimes you have to use a digital mete with power
    on to determine which end is which as the guys that write the books do
    not do a very good job.
    Be alert that all of the ready built cables I have seen have the hot
    side with a red stripe on it. I'm used to red stripes indicating pin
    1 of an eide cable so that one threw me at first.

    Your D2 is one usb connector and D3 is the other. power and grounds
    on the ends of each. The purple and black should have a red stripe.

    PJ