    Just a small niggle, no big deal.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 14, 2012

  2. dorayme

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    > Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
    > file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
    > First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
    > and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
    > and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
    > extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
    > or folder name coloured would do fine.

    it's hideous and can be confused with highlighting in some cases.

    it was *much* better before os x, when just the text & icon was
    coloured, not the whole rectangle.

    nospam, Apr 14, 2012

  3. dorayme

    Howard Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    > Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
    > file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
    > First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
    > and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
    > and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
    > extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
    > or folder name coloured would do fine.
    >
    > Just a small niggle, no big deal.

    I guess each to his own because I really love it, and use label colours
    a lot, both in list view and icon view on the desktop. I also love the
    rounded effects :)

    No one can please everyone :)

    Howard

    Howard, Apr 14, 2012
  4. dorayme

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
    > file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
    > First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
    > and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
    > and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
    > extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
    > or folder name coloured would do fine.
    >
    > Just a small niggle, no big deal.

    Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
    more acceptable. :-D

    (Hey, it's Saturday morning and it's raining.)

    --
    I screwed you ALL!
    But thanks for lettin' me

    Fred Moore, Apr 14, 2012
  5. In article <-september.org>,
    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > (Hey, it's Saturday morning

    Indeed it is.

    > and it's raining.)

    No, it's not.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 14, 2012
  6. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <140420120934317282%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <>, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
    > > file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
    > > First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
    > > and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
    > > and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
    > > extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
    > > or folder name coloured would do fine.

    > it's hideous and can be confused with highlighting in some cases.
    >
    > it was *much* better before os x, when just the text & icon was
    > coloured, not the whole rectangle.

    I have clean forgotten how it was, thanks for reminding me! Maybe I
    unconsciously registered (and recoiled from) the change. Don't much
    use labelling, I tend to make folders instead, but it is useful now
    and then.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 14, 2012
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1kijqa2.1644ouk18l6rm4N%>,
    (Howard) wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
    > > file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
    > > First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
    > > and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
    > > and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
    > > extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
    > > or folder name coloured would do fine.
    > >
    > > Just a small niggle, no big deal.

    > I guess each to his own because I really love it, and use label colours
    > a lot, both in list view and icon view on the desktop. I also love the
    > rounded effects :)
    >
    > No one can please everyone :)

    Very true!

    There are many sorts of disagreements among people, some are not worth
    arguing about (at least for the purpose of achieving a productive
    outcome), others are. Simple matters of taste are not usually amenable
    to productive discussion. Other sorts can be more objective. I have no
    real idea if label colour *shaping* has any objective issues that
    would practically ever be settled, beyond opinion polling sort of
    facts.

    If it turned out that rectangular coloured backing, and shrink-fitting
    the name of a file or folder, or some other arrangement tended to make
    people make less mistakes, raised production etc. then, of course, we
    would have an amenably objective objective element.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 14, 2012
  8. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > ...label colouring...

    > Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
    > more acceptable. :-D

    Well, I salute your good old yanky heart!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 14, 2012
  9. dorayme

    John Varela Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:55:33 UTC, Michelle Steiner
    <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    >
    > > (Hey, it's Saturday morning

    > Indeed it is.
    >
    > > and it's raining.)

    > No, it's not.

    I wish it would.

    --
    John Varela

    John Varela, Apr 15, 2012
  10. Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
    > more acceptable. :-D

    I don't get why the US felt it had to dumb down English *shrug*

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 16, 2012
  11. dorayme

    George Kerby Guest

    On 4/16/12 1:57 AM, in article
    1kinrar.jh0swuoam1dsN%, "Jamie Kahn Genet"
    <> wrote:

    > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
    >> more acceptable. :-D

    > I don't get why the US felt it had to dumb down English *shrug*

    'Dumbing down' is a product of the deficient US educational system.

    "It's OK Billy, you can speel them words inawayze you might want."

    George Kerby, Apr 16, 2012
  12. dorayme

    Patty Winter Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:
    >Fred Moore <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
    >> more acceptable. :-D

    >I don't get why the US felt it had to dumb down English *shrug*
    >--
    >If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    One person's "dumbing down" is another person's "eliminating unnecessary
    vowels." :)

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Apr 16, 2012
  13. dorayme

    Fred Moore Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    >
    > > Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
    > > more acceptable. :-D

    > I don't get why the US felt it had to dumb down English *shrug*

    Dumb down?!?! We're still fighting the British royal rococo language
    style, malord!

    Q. How may 'u's does are necessary to spell words ending in 'our'?
    A. None.

    Although I sincerely do admire a culture who can come up with these
    filigreed spellings and reduced pronunciations:
    Grosvenor -> grovner
    Featherstonehaugh -> fanshaw

    Please pardon me while I don't tug my forelock. ;)

    Fred Moore, Apr 16, 2012
  14. dorayme

    Davoud Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet:
    > >I don't get why the US felt it had to dumb down English *shrug*

    /Colour/ is not smartened-up English. It is a relic of the days when
    French was the language of the English royal court.

    The result of natural changes in the language is that the word now has
    two English spellings: /color/ and /colour/ .

    Because no one in the Commonwealth or whose spelling of English is
    influenced by British English is going to drop the /u/ and no one who
    is influenced by American English is going to add it, and since the two
    words are mutually intelligible, it makes sense to get over it and get
    on with life.

    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

    Davoud, Apr 16, 2012
  15. dorayme

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <160420121648550785%>, Davoud <>
    wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet:
    > > >I don't get why the US felt it had to dumb down English *shrug*

    > /Colour/ is not smartened-up English. It is a relic of the days when
    > French was the language of the English royal court.
    >
    > The result of natural changes in the language is that the word now has
    > two English spellings: /color/ and /colour/ .
    >
    > Because no one in the Commonwealth or whose spelling of English is
    > influenced by British English is going to drop the /u/ and no one who
    > is influenced by American English is going to add it, and since the two
    > words are mutually intelligible, it makes sense to get over it and get
    > on with life.

    As George Bernard Shaw said:

    [we are] ³Two peoples separated by a common language²

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Tom Stiller, Apr 16, 2012
  16. In article <160420121648550785%>, Davoud <> wrote:

    > Because no one in the Commonwealth or whose spelling of English is
    > influenced by British English is going to drop the /u/ and no one who is
    > influenced by American English is going to add it, and since the two
    > words are mutually intelligible, it makes sense to get over it and get
    > on with life.

    You're making sense. This is usenet, and making sense is not allowed.
    Give yourself twenty lashes with a wet noodle.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 16, 2012
  17. dorayme

    Joe Dee Guest

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:11:08 -0400, Tom Stiller wrote
    (in article <>):

    > In article <160420121648550785%>, Davoud <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet:

    >> /Colour/ is not smartened-up English. It is a relic of the days when
    >> French was the language of the English royal court.
    >>
    >> The result of natural changes in the language is that the word now has
    >> two English spellings: /color/ and /colour/ .
    >>
    >> Because no one in the Commonwealth or whose spelling of English is
    >> influenced by British English is going to drop the /u/ and no one who
    >> is influenced by American English is going to add it, and since the two
    >> words are mutually intelligible, it makes sense to get over it and get
    >> on with life.

    > As George Bernard Shaw said:
    >
    > [we are] ³Two peoples separated by a common language²

    And GBS even came up with an alternate, phonetic alphabet that I learned when
    I was in high school, much to the chagrin of my teachers. I loved it. I even
    found a copy of "Androcles and the Lion" in the Shavian alphabet.

    --
    Joe Dee
    Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator,

    Joe Dee, Apr 16, 2012
  18. In article <-september.org>,

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shavian_alphabet>

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 16, 2012
  19. Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <1kinrar.jh0swuoam1dsN%>,
    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >
    > > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
    > > > more acceptable. :-D

    > > I don't get why the US felt it had to dumb down English *shrug*

    > We also don't tend to call lieutenants "leftenants". How silly of us! ; )

    It's not too late to start ;-)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 16, 2012
  20. Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <160420121648550785%>, Davoud <> wrote:
    >
    > > Because no one in the Commonwealth or whose spelling of English is
    > > influenced by British English is going to drop the /u/ and no one who is
    > > influenced by American English is going to add it, and since the two
    > > words are mutually intelligible, it makes sense to get over it and get
    > > on with life.

    > You're making sense. This is usenet, and making sense is not allowed.
    > Give yourself twenty lashes with a wet noodle.
    >
    > -- Michelle

    Wet noodle lashing, eh lass? I guess it takes all types ;-)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 16, 2012