Laptop backlight quitting intermittently

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by DaveC, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Averatec laptop backlight turns off after random lengths of time. Can still
    see the dim images on the screen that behave normally to mouse inputs, so the
    LCD is still alive.

    I presume that the high-voltage PCB that runs the bulb is going bad. Is there
    any chance that this is a virus or software bug that is causing the backlight
    to turn off?

    I Googled for this but nothing definitive came up.

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    1. Advertising

  2. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    BTW, running Windows XP Pro.

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    DaveC wrote:
    > I presume that the high-voltage PCB that runs the bulb is going bad. Is there
    > any chance that this is a virus or software bug that is causing the backlight
    > to turn off?

    Not really. But it need not be the inverter at fault, it could easily
    be a cabling issue. What model Averatec is this?

  4. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Thus spake :

    > Not really. But it need not be the inverter at fault, it could easily
    > be a cabling issue. What model Averatec is this?

    Model: 3200
    Tilting the screen hinges back and forth does not start or stop the
    phenomenon.

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  5. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    > Model: 3200

    Correction: Model 3280
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  6. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Thus spake :

    > Not really. But it need not be the inverter at fault, it could easily
    > be a cabling issue. What model Averatec is this?

    Is the inverter circuit on the motherboard or is it on a separate PCB?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  7. shockwa

    shockwa Guest

    I was having an issue with a new LCD and inverter. The backlight still
    wasnt functioning. Then someone told me about the "toggle switch" that
    turns the backlight on or off when the lid is opened and closed. Supposed to
    be near the keyboard. Maybe it has a short or isn't functioning.
    =======================================
    "DaveC" <> wrote in message
    > Thus spake :
    >
    >> Not really. But it need not be the inverter at fault, it could easily
    >> be a cabling issue. What model Averatec is this?

    > Is the inverter circuit on the motherboard or is it on a separate PCB?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > DaveC
    >
    > This is an invalid return address
    > Please reply in the news group

  8. Guest

    DaveC wrote:

    > Averatec laptop backlight turns off after random lengths of time. Can still
    > see the dim images on the screen that behave normally to mouse inputs, so the
    > LCD is still alive.
    >
    > I presume that the high-voltage PCB that runs the bulb is going bad. Is there
    > any chance that this is a virus or software bug that is causing the backlight
    > to turn off?
    >
    > I Googled for this but nothing definitive came up.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Loose connection / bad joint somewhere. Prodding about with an
    insulated tool should narrow it down.

    NT

  9. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Thus spake shockwa:

    > I was having an issue with a new LCD and inverter. The backlight still
    > wasnt functioning. Then someone told me about the "toggle switch" that
    > turns the backlight on or off when the lid is opened and closed. Supposed to
    > be near the keyboard. Maybe it has a short or isn't functioning.

    What model is your laptop?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  10. Guest

    DaveC wrote:

    > > Not really. But it need not be the inverter at fault, it could easily
    > > be a cabling issue. What model Averatec is this?

    > Is the inverter circuit on the motherboard or is it on a separate PCB?

    The inverter is always on a separate PCB in the upper half of the
    laptop, because the HV wires need to be as short as possible (they
    radiate EM noise, and they're also lossy).

    Apart from the backlight switch issue mentioned by another poster, you
    might have a heat issue on the inverter. I'd open up the screen half of
    the laptop and let it run until it fails, then _carefully_ squirt
    freeze spray on the inverter to locate the bad component.

  11. shockwa

    shockwa Guest

    "DaveC" <> wrote in message
    > Thus spake shockwa:
    >
    >> I was having an issue with a new LCD and inverter. The backlight still
    >> wasnt functioning. Then someone told me about the "toggle switch" that
    >> turns the backlight on or off when the lid is opened and closed. Supposed
    >> be near the keyboard. Maybe it has a short or isn't functioning.

    > What model is your laptop?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > DaveC
    >
    > This is an invalid return address
    > Please reply in the news group
    >=====================================

    It's a Fujitsu Lifebook S6210. Now my problem is I can't seem to find the
    lid close(pin)switch. I've looked everywhere near the hinges, keyboard,
    inverter, etc. Well thats my luck. See if you can find it with this pic I
    took. http://home.pacbell.net/shockwa/images/laptop.jpg

  12. Ian Singer

    Ian Singer Guest

    shockwa wrote:

    > It's a Fujitsu Lifebook S6210. Now my problem is I can't seem to find the
    > lid close(pin)switch. I've looked everywhere near the hinges, keyboard,
    > inverter, etc.

    What makes you think it has one? Some laptops are magnetically
    activated and there is no exposed switch.

    Ian Singer

    See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
    hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
    All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?

  13. shockwa

    shockwa Guest

    "Ian Singer" <> wrote in message
    > shockwa wrote:
    >
    >> It's a Fujitsu Lifebook S6210. Now my problem is I can't seem to find
    >> the lid close(pin)switch. I've looked everywhere near the hinges,
    >> keyboard, inverter, etc.

    > What makes you think it has one? Some laptops are magnetically activated
    > and there is no exposed switch.
    > Ian Singer

    =========================================>
    ok well I guess I wasn't specific enough. Where is the lid close magnetic
    thingie? or
    could it somehow be stuck in the close position because of removing the LCD.
    I was aware it could be a magnetic switch, but where is
    it on this model or one similar?

    > --

    > See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
    > hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
    > All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    > Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    > I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?

  14. Ian Singer

    Ian Singer Guest

    shockwa wrote:

    > ok well I guess I wasn't specific enough. Where is the lid close magnetic
    > thingie? or
    > could it somehow be stuck in the close position because of removing the LCD.
    > I was aware it could be a magnetic switch, but where is
    > it on this model or one similar?

    Cant tell you. You would need a parts manual. On a Toshiba its just to
    the right of the left hinge and you can activate it with the lid upen by
    moving a magnet acoss the lid on the ouside (side opposide screen).

    Ian Singer

    See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
    hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
    All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?

  15. shockwa

    shockwa Guest

    "Ian Singer" <> wrote in message
    > shockwa wrote:
    >
    >> ok well I guess I wasn't specific enough. Where is the lid close
    >> magnetic thingie? or
    >> could it somehow be stuck in the close position because of removing the
    >> LCD. I was aware it could be a magnetic switch, but where is
    >> it on this model or one similar?

    > Cant tell you. You would need a parts manual. On a Toshiba its just to the
    > right of the left hinge and you can activate it with the lid upen by
    > moving a magnet acoss the lid on the ouside (side opposide screen).
    >
    > Ian Singer
    >
    > --

    > See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
    > hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
    > All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    > Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    > I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?

    I guess I could always ask Fujitsu support what type of switch it is either
    a pin or magnetic and where it might be located.. Wonder if they disclose
    that type of information?