    this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it. :)

    It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    Barbara
    chicagofan, Feb 7, 2009

  2. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    chicagofan wrote:
    > ... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
    > the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
    > noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
    > before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
    > this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it. :)
    >
    > It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Barbara

    Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently. :(
    bj
    chicagofan, Feb 7, 2009

  3. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    chicagofan wrote:
    > chicagofan wrote:
    >
    >> ... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
    >> the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
    >> noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
    >> before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
    >> this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it. :)
    >>
    >> It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Barbara
    >>

    > Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently. :(
    > bj

    Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance [with
    ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage *bursts*
    every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've never had one
    before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do. TIA....
    bj
    chicagofan, Feb 7, 2009
  4. chicagofan

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:n9ijl.367$,
    chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 10:54:55 -0500:
    > ... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently.
    > Is the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
    > noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
    > before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
    > this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it. :)
    >
    > It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    Hi Barbara! I would check the Task Manager for something using a lot of
    CPU time. I also would check the cursor movement under safe mode. As
    everything should be fine there. If not, you might have another problem
    going on. Let us know what you find.

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
    BillW50, Feb 7, 2009
  5. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Re: Laptop freezing...

    chicagofan wrote:
    > chicagofan wrote:
    >
    >> chicagofan wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
    >>> the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
    >>> noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
    >>> before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
    >>> this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it. :)
    >>>
    >>> It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Barbara
    >>>

    >> Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently. :(
    >> bj
    >>

    > Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance [with
    > ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage *bursts*
    > every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've never had one
    > before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do. TIA....
    > bj

    OK... panic's over about my laptop dying by degrees. After checking Sys
    config and finding no new Start Up items, and seeing that no new
    processes are running, I'm convinced it's the update to my browser I
    made earlier this week that is doing this. I'll pursue this in the
    Mozilla newsgroups. :)

    BTW, is there still an icon you can use [in Win XP] on the task bar,
    that will show cpu usage? Seems like I used to have that on an older
    Windows pc.

    Just want to say I'm glad some of you, especially you Ben Myers are
    keeping this group alive. Gateway is still my preference, even though
    it's been sold. :)
    bj
    chicagofan, Feb 7, 2009
  6. chicagofan

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ezijl.2866$,
    chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:22:27 -0500:
    > chicagofan wrote:
    >> chicagofan wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... or at least that is what appears to be happening
    >>> intermittently. Is the pad going bad? Or are other things causing
    >>> the delays? I've noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've
    >>> typed a few keystrokes before they appear. What can I check? It's
    >>> getting decidedly worse this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything
    >>> on it. :) It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Barbara
    >>>

    >> Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently. :(
    >> bj
    >>

    > Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance
    > [with ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage
    > *bursts* every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've
    > never had one before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do.
    > TIA.... bj

    Click on the Process tab and tell us which process is eating up all of
    the time.

    BillW50, Feb 7, 2009
  7. chicagofan

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Laptop freezing...

    In news:b5jjl.5379$,
    chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:58:43 -0500:
    > chicagofan wrote:
    >> chicagofan wrote:

    >>> Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
    >>> :( bj
    >>>

    >> Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance
    >> [with ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage
    >> *bursts* every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've
    >> never had one before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do.
    >> TIA.... bj
    >>

    > OK... panic's over about my laptop dying by degrees. After checking
    > Sys config and finding no new Start Up items, and seeing that no new
    > processes are running, I'm convinced it's the update to my browser I
    > made earlier this week that is doing this. I'll pursue this in the
    > Mozilla newsgroups. :)
    >
    > BTW, is there still an icon you can use [in Win XP] on the task bar,
    > that will show cpu usage? Seems like I used to have that on an older
    > Windows pc.
    >
    > Just want to say I'm glad some of you, especially you Ben Myers are
    > keeping this group alive. Gateway is still my preference, even though
    > it's been sold. :)
    > bj

    You can minimize the Task Manager and it will show CPU usage in the
    System Tray. Although I like MS free Process Explorer much better.
    Whatever you use, just make a shortcut in your Startup folder if you
    want it to automatically run at boot.

    BillW50, Feb 7, 2009
  8. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Re: Laptop freezing...

    BillW50 wrote:
    > chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:58:43 -0500:
    >
    >> OK... panic's over about my laptop dying by degrees. After checking
    >> Sys config and finding no new Start Up items, and seeing that no new
    >> processes are running, I'm convinced it's the update to my browser I
    >> made earlier this week that is doing this. I'll pursue this in the
    >> Mozilla newsgroups. :)
    >>
    >> BTW, is there still an icon you can use [in Win XP] on the task bar,
    >> that will show cpu usage? Seems like I used to have that on an older
    >> Windows pc.
    >> bj
    >>

    > You can minimize the Task Manager and it will show CPU usage in the
    > System Tray. Although I like MS free Process Explorer much better.
    > Whatever you use, just make a shortcut in your Startup folder if you
    > want it to automatically run at boot.

    Thanks so much, Bill for your replies! I thought my trustworthy laptop
    was failing and it's such a relief to have a place to go and get help.

    I'll check out the Process Explorer, before setting up the Task
    Manager. Thanks again for all your advice.
    bj :)
    chicagofan, Feb 7, 2009
  9. chicagofan

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Laptop freezing...

    In news:2sjjl.5380$,
    chicagofan typed:
    > Thanks so much, Bill for your replies! I thought my trustworthy
    > laptop was failing and it's such a relief to have a place to go and
    > get help.
    > I'll check out the Process Explorer, before setting up the Task
    > Manager. Thanks again for all your advice.
    > bj :)

    Sure no problem.

    BillW50, Feb 7, 2009
  10. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Re: Laptop freezing...

    Joan F (MI) wrote:
    > I have a nice program called StatBar that runs a very thin bar across the
    > top of the screen and shows CPU usage, memory usage, and a number of other
    > things, you can choose what to put on it. Free at: http://www.statbar.nl/

    Thanks, Joan! I'll take a look at it too. :)
    bj

    chicagofan, Feb 8, 2009