    because it is external. Can anyone shed some light on this for me...
    possibly recommend some brands/models?
    , Nov 8, 2006

  2. Gaylord Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have decided it's time to get a DVD burner for my Dell Inspiron
    > E1505, but I'm not sure where to go with this. I want something that
    > is reliable, quiet, and most importantly FAST, so i can backup DVDs and
    > junk. So I've heard that internal laptop optical drives cap out at 8X
    > burn speeds, but I'm worried that an external might be slow to rip
    > because it is external. Can anyone shed some light on this for me...
    > possibly recommend some brands/models?

    I have a 9300 dell, with an external burner, the problem I get is that its
    almost impossible to burn the disk at 16x....
    If I pull it off my C: drive, there is no chance, if I pull the data of one
    of my external drives then it works a lot better.

    I "backup" a lot of my cd's and with taking a dvd-9 and using dvd-shrink, or
    something else, I can normally have the
    iso file on my hd in around 35mins.

    HTH
    Gaylord, Nov 8, 2006

  3. I burn DVDs at 2x, even though I have an 8X drive and 4X media. The
    quality and reliability of the media is somewhat a function of the burn
    speed, and frankly 8x is in my view too fast (and clearly I'm not even
    comfortable with 4X, but that's me).

    An external drive with USB2 can be as fast as an internal drive. But in
    the end the issue is most likely that if you do any traveling, you won't
    want to carry a big, bulky external drive around (with it's power supply
    and cables, it will be bigger and will weigh more than the laptop).

    I'd go for an internal drive, if Dell's price is not outrageous (which
    it well might be).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 8, 2006
  4. BillW50 Guest

    "Gaylord" <> wrote in message

    > I have a 9300 dell, with an external burner, the problem I get is
    > that its almost impossible to burn the disk at 16x....

    I have an internal DVD 8x (dual layer) on my Gateway MX6124 and it burns
    great at this speed.

    > If I pull it off my C: drive, there is no chance, if I pull the data
    > of one of my external drives then it works a lot better.

    Yeah my external HD USB 2.0 is noticeable faster than my internal one
    too.

    > I "backup" a lot of my cd's and with taking a dvd-9 and using
    > dvd-shrink, or something else, I can normally have the
    > iso file on my hd in around 35mins.

    I have Nero Express v6 and I know how to burn ISO files to make a disc,
    but I don't know how the other way around. Maybe Nero Express can't do
    this.

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Nov 8, 2006
  5. BillW50 Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > I burn DVDs at 2x, even though I have an 8X drive and 4X media. The
    > quality and reliability of the media is somewhat a function of the
    > burn speed, and frankly 8x is in my view too fast (and clearly I'm
    > not even comfortable with 4X, but that's me).

    I have not noticed any problems with my 8x internal DVD dual-layer
    drive. It seems to handle it just fine.

    > An external drive with USB2 can be as fast as an internal drive...

    Mine external USB2 hard drive is really much faster than my internal
    one.

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Nov 8, 2006
  6. gha4 Guest

    Here is my suggestion:

    1.Buy an internal DVD burner.
    2.Buy a 5.25 inch optical drive casing (to make it external)
    3.Assemble them and there you have an external DVD burner that have
    the same performance as for the internal one.

    I've tried it and it works perfectly fine.
    gha4, Nov 9, 2006