    ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    Felicity
    Felicity Ross, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Felicity Ross

    jappy Guest

    Be glad you got 18 months lifetime out of it. This is typical for
    ACER products.

    jappy, Jan 12, 2007

  3. Felicity Ross

    CM Guest

    I have been troubleshooting an Acer TM 2502 LMi with similar problems for
    several days without arriving a definitive diagnosis.
    The owner of this laptop said that the symptoms started with frequent
    freezeups and then it stopped to boot altogether. Finally, when the laptop
    is connected to Power Adapter which is inserted to a properly functioning AC
    outlet, its Power LED Light, HDD LED light, Caplock LED light and Ins LED
    light will come and stay steady green. and the battery LED will be amber for
    an hour or so as if it is getting charged and then the Battery LED light
    goes off. Battery LED light never turns green. The CPU fan comes on every
    now and then for a few minutes and then stops spinning. If I push the Power
    button, nothing is displayed on the screen. Tried a different Power Adapter
    with the same result. Tried a new battery and charged overnight using the
    new adapter. When the Power adapter is used with Battery inside the Laptop,
    the symptoms described before [Steady Green Power LED, HDD LED and Caplock
    and Ins LED and no response on Monitor screen with Power On switch
    activation ] occurred. If the charged battery alone was used and the ON/OFF
    Switch is pushed, LEDs will flicker with amber color for fraction of a
    second and no POST messages are displayed and the screen remains blank.
    Because the laptop has exceeded its One year warranty, ACER wouldn't provide
    any technical support. The email support is a joke; no answer in 4 days!
    There are no Service Manual even to try your own troubleshoot by opening and
    swapping any available hardware.
    Based on my experience opening other brand name LAPTOPS I was able to
    disassemble the PC. I removed the HDD and inserted a new HDD . But the
    problem of persistent lit HDD LED remianed and the computer did not go
    through the POST. I tried its RAMs on another laptop and they were properly
    recognized as good. I changed its CMOS battery with a new one. The problem
    was unchanged. I removed the heat sink assembly and cleaned the CPU of the
    dried up thermal paste, and applied a fresh layer of Thermal compund and
    reseated the Intel CPU and its heat sink, still no luck.
    I cannot get another CPU to swap to rule out a dead CPU. Of course finally,
    I cannot get a Mobo to rule out a damaged MoBo.I suspect a damaged Mobo or
    CPU as the acuse of the failure to Power On the PC. Unlike a Desktop PC, you
    are at the mercy of the Laptop manufacturer to fix most hardware problems
    that come up. Acer is the worst as far as Tech Support is concerned.
    If you want help in opening the PC, I can assist as TM2300 and 2500 series
    must be similar in their construction and there for disassembly.
    If anyone can shed any light on the possible cause (s) for the symptoms this
    Acer TM 2502LMi is having, I will appreciate their input.
    Thanks.

    CM, Jan 18, 2007