    ... for now .. but how do I fix it?
    cheers
    cw
    code_wrong, Oct 30, 2005

  2. code_wrong

    kony Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:20:18 -0000, "code_wrong"
    <> wrote:

    >hi,
    >we have a Packard bell 'igo' laptop.
    >The round socket where the power cable connects looks like it is about to
    >break. The pin inside is flopping about as if it is broken. It still works
    >.. for now .. but how do I fix it?
    >cheers
    >cw

    It would be best to not use it at all, unplug the power
    adapter. If it further breaks, there is the potential of
    shorting out the supply or possibly something else inside.

    Either the physical socket itself, or the traces on the
    circuit board are damaged. A determination will have to be
    made, which it is, and the appropriate measures taken. It
    might be possible (since it still works), to merely secure
    the socket to the circuit board with some epoxy. It might
    instead require the old socket be desoldered and a new one
    put in it's place. It might be necessary to repair traces
    leading to that socket or add jumper wires to provide an
    alternate path for power if the traces are too damaged.

    The circuit board the jack is on might be a separate power
    board. If so, the whole board would be (usually) far
    cheaper to replace than an entire mainboard with socket on
    it... just something to consider if you were to disasssemble
    it and find that you can't repair it. If you are adept at
    makeshift repairs, soldering and similar miniature
    elctronics work then you might open it and see what the
    problem and possible solutions are. If you're not
    expereienced in this work and the laptop still has a couplew
    hundred $ in value you might take it to a repair shop.

    By repair shop, you could try a computer shop that does
    laptops, and expect that they will insist that whichever
    entire circuit board the socket is on, needs replaced. Of
    course there is a possiblity you'd run into someone who does
    board-level repairs but generally speaking, you might be
    more likely to find someone who could, would be prone to do
    a component repair like that at a general purpose
    electronics repair shop rather than a PC/laptop shop.
    kony, Oct 30, 2005

  3. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:20:18 -0000, "code_wrong"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>hi,
    >>we have a Packard bell 'igo' laptop.
    >>The round socket where the power cable connects looks like it is about to
    >>break. The pin inside is flopping about as if it is broken. It still works
    >>.. for now .. but how do I fix it?
    >>cheers
    >>cw
    >>

    > It would be best to not use it at all, unplug the power
    > adapter. If it further breaks, there is the potential of
    > shorting out the supply or possibly something else inside.
    >
    > Either the physical socket itself, or the traces on the
    > circuit board are damaged. A determination will have to be
    > made, which it is, and the appropriate measures taken. It
    > might be possible (since it still works), to merely secure
    > the socket to the circuit board with some epoxy. It might
    > instead require the old socket be desoldered and a new one
    > put in it's place. It might be necessary to repair traces
    > leading to that socket or add jumper wires to provide an
    > alternate path for power if the traces are too damaged.
    >
    > The circuit board the jack is on might be a separate power
    > board. If so, the whole board would be (usually) far
    > cheaper to replace than an entire mainboard with socket on
    > it... just something to consider if you were to disasssemble
    > it and find that you can't repair it. If you are adept at
    > makeshift repairs, soldering and similar miniature
    > elctronics work then you might open it and see what the
    > problem and possible solutions are. If you're not
    > expereienced in this work and the laptop still has a couplew
    > hundred $ in value you might take it to a repair shop.
    >
    > By repair shop, you could try a computer shop that does
    > laptops, and expect that they will insist that whichever
    > entire circuit board the socket is on, needs replaced. Of
    > course there is a possiblity you'd run into someone who does
    > board-level repairs but generally speaking, you might be
    > more likely to find someone who could, would be prone to do
    > a component repair like that at a general purpose
    > electronics repair shop rather than a PC/laptop shop.

    thanks for the excellent response ..
    I will open it up with epoxy resin and soldering iron in hand
    cheers
    cw
    code_wrong, Oct 30, 2005
  4. code_wrong

    metronid Guest

    First off I hate power connectors of this type used on laptops
    They should take reflect how nature makes its connection
    Male connector into female
    Has worked for a long time

    Your laptop of course uses the female plugged in to the male
    Must have sometime to do with the Moden world

    In any case
    There may be a permanent or semi-perminent fix
    With some shortfalls

    I would get myself a female to female connector
    Plug that into the Laptop
    It should fit tight enough
    Leave it there !!!!!!
    It may project just a very short distance from the laptop case
    If the fit is not real tight
    Then a litlle wrapping on the connector should settle that

    This will protect the break that is likely to occur from the plugging and
    unplugging
    with the semi broken male
    You will mnow need a male to connector
    This will be placed on the lead from the power supply

    Now you can make a connection

    When inserting the power cord to the laptop
    Hold your finger so the double female does not come out
    This may not be needed depending on the fit
    A drop of hot glue on the double female will solve this
    And it will not hur anything

    As far as the traces on the board
    Assuming and with much doubt that the power connector is connected directly
    to the board
    Then again there are many configurations because of the size restrictions
    and building requirements

    The main power traces are probably the widest on the board

    If the connector is not directly connected or if there are other variables
    they must be identifified visiually
    That means looking inside

    You do not seem to want to open the unit
    and unless you are very good i would leave it that way or go to a
    professional.

    Try my first insight as it is the cheapest and easiest

    metronid, Nov 2, 2005
  5. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    "metronid" <> wrote in message
    > First off I hate power connectors of this type used on laptops
    > They should take reflect how nature makes its connection
    > Male connector into female
    > Has worked for a long time
    >
    > Your laptop of course uses the female plugged in to the male
    > Must have sometime to do with the Moden world
    >
    > In any case
    > There may be a permanent or semi-perminent fix
    > With some shortfalls
    >
    > I would get myself a female to female connector
    > Plug that into the Laptop
    > It should fit tight enough
    > Leave it there !!!!!!
    > It may project just a very short distance from the laptop case
    > If the fit is not real tight
    > Then a litlle wrapping on the connector should settle that
    >
    > This will protect the break that is likely to occur from the plugging and
    > unplugging
    > with the semi broken male
    > You will mnow need a male to connector
    > This will be placed on the lead from the power supply
    >
    > Now you can make a connection
    >
    > When inserting the power cord to the laptop
    > Hold your finger so the double female does not come out
    > This may not be needed depending on the fit
    > A drop of hot glue on the double female will solve this
    > And it will not hur anything
    >

    > As far as the traces on the board
    > Assuming and with much doubt that the power connector is connected
    > directly to the board
    > Then again there are many configurations because of the size restrictions
    > and building requirements
    >
    > The main power traces are probably the widest on the board
    >
    > If the connector is not directly connected or if there are other variables
    > they must be identifified visiually
    > That means looking inside
    >

    > You do not seem to want to open the unit
    > and unless you are very good i would leave it that way or go to a
    > professional.
    >
    > Try my first insight as it is the cheapest and easiest

    Thanks Metronid .. I agree that the design is complete garbage and someone
    should be shot for designing such crap .. the connector has always been
    vulnerable sticking out the side as it does .. the damage has been done
    however by myself tripping over the cable and nearly yanking the laptop off
    the table onto the floor ... many times ...

    I am can't take the laptop apart until Friday night because if I cannot fix
    it or worse render it inoperable then I would not be able to use it for the
    vital word processing that i am currently engaged in.

    The connection is barely holding up - it keeps going over to battery power
    on the slightest twitch .. I am not sure if the connector idea would solve
    this, as it will have the wire hanging off it pullling it this way and that
    way when I move the laptop ... I am hoping that I will be able to glue it or
    solder it securely whenI get the time to look inside..

    cheers
    cw
    code_wrong, Nov 3, 2005
  6. code_wrong

    metronid Guest

    The argument that the manufacturer of the unit or the power supply
    manufacturer can make is that having a male connector
    on the end could lead to a short since the ends are live.
    This although a good argument may not hold true since the power supply
    should be plugged
    in before powering on.

    They can also argue that this could prevent a shock with is doubtful with DC
    at this volatage and
    a fire hazard etec.

    The fact is that they do make DC power supplies with a male end terminal

    Manufacturers take their cue from the standards from the standpoint of
    safety
    Which I admit is a
    good practice
    It would be crazy to have a 110V AC outlet as a male connector at a wall
    You and I can both see the hazard.

    This would not be a concern in any case if the manufacturer of the Laptop
    used a high quality
    female connector in the unit
    Penny piching and competition has its trade offs.
    If you examine the male connector pin on the Laptop it will quickly noticed
    that it is not that thick and probably not attached very very firmly

    Of course there is a difference between a fixed 110V outlet and a 19V Dc or
    so
    flexible outlet cord.

    Take a lesson from nature
    If the male DC connector had a sheath around the end that
    pushed back on insertion than the saftey aspect would be improved

    How would I design my connector
    First off it would be a female connector at the end of the power supply
    It would be a double female connecor
    The type that goes into the main power suppy unit
    It would be oriented so it could plug in only one way
    Two points on attachment would be better

    It would take a little more space on the outside
    Not much more
    You could pull or kick it out without any problem
    That is called rugged

    ____________________________________

    You of course need to be careful with the laptop and not kick the cord
    around
    Good luck with the repair.

    metronid, Nov 4, 2005
  7. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    "code_wrong" <> wrote in message

    > "metronid" <> wrote in message
    >> First off I hate power connectors of this type used on laptops
    >> They should take reflect how nature makes its connection
    >> Male connector into female
    >> Has worked for a long time
    >>
    >> Your laptop of course uses the female plugged in to the male
    >> Must have sometime to do with the Moden world
    >>
    >> In any case
    >> There may be a permanent or semi-perminent fix
    >> With some shortfalls
    >>
    >> I would get myself a female to female connector
    >> Plug that into the Laptop
    >> It should fit tight enough
    >> Leave it there !!!!!!
    >> It may project just a very short distance from the laptop case
    >> If the fit is not real tight
    >> Then a litlle wrapping on the connector should settle that
    >>
    >> This will protect the break that is likely to occur from the plugging and
    >> unplugging
    >> with the semi broken male
    >> You will mnow need a male to connector
    >> This will be placed on the lead from the power supply
    >>
    >> Now you can make a connection
    >>
    >> When inserting the power cord to the laptop
    >> Hold your finger so the double female does not come out
    >> This may not be needed depending on the fit
    >> A drop of hot glue on the double female will solve this
    >> And it will not hur anything
    >>

    >> As far as the traces on the board
    >> Assuming and with much doubt that the power connector is connected
    >> directly to the board
    >> Then again there are many configurations because of the size restrictions
    >> and building requirements
    >>
    >> The main power traces are probably the widest on the board
    >>
    >> If the connector is not directly connected or if there are other
    >> variables they must be identifified visiually
    >> That means looking inside
    >>

    >> You do not seem to want to open the unit
    >> and unless you are very good i would leave it that way or go to a
    >> professional.
    >>
    >> Try my first insight as it is the cheapest and easiest

    > Thanks Metronid .. I agree that the design is complete garbage and someone
    > should be shot for designing such crap .. the connector has always been
    > vulnerable sticking out the side as it does .. the damage has been done
    > however by myself tripping over the cable and nearly yanking the laptop
    > off the table onto the floor ... many times ...
    >
    > I am can't take the laptop apart until Friday night because if I cannot
    > fix it or worse render it inoperable then I would not be able to use it
    > for the vital word processing that i am currently engaged in.
    >
    > The connection is barely holding up - it keeps going over to battery
    > power on the slightest twitch .. I am not sure if the connector idea would
    > solve this, as it will have the wire hanging off it pullling it this way
    > and that way when I move the laptop ... I am hoping that I will be able to
    > glue it or solder it securely whenI get the time to look inside..

    just to complete the story .. I opened up the laptop today .. the connector
    needed soldering to restore the circuit and glued to fix it in place ..
    however I cannot do that until I remove the motherboard . a complete
    dissasembly job... I just don't have the time.. so I had to buy another
    laptop ... ouch .. the pain ..
    code_wrong, Nov 5, 2005