    know if i could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computeror
    do i have to get wireless hookup.? Thanks

    , Aug 6, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I am considering buying a laptop. I already have a desktop, but want a
    > laptop for school.

    Grade school? Junior high or middle school? High school? College?
    Vocational or trade school, perchance?

    I merely point this out because where you are with your education will
    determine your software needs, and the hardware you'll need to support it.

    >I don't need all the bells and whistles, just
    > something basic. I don't play games (n)or will i use it to play DVDs, (but)
    > perhaps CDs.

    Yeah, right-sure you won't!

    Anyway, if anyone still makes a laptop that doesn't play DVDs, it's got
    to be a sub-$400 Black Friday special. And I'd avoid one that doesn't,
    because soon enough, that's how most software that isn't delivered over
    the Web will likely be distributed.

    >Any brand or model to consider? I want to get the best (I)
    > can afford for the stuff (I) need (up to $1000.00 if {I} need to spend that
    > much). I already have a printer waiting to hook up to it.

    How old a printer? If it's a parallel-port dinosaur, you might want to
    set aside some extra cash for a port replicator so you can connect it,
    or see how good a deal you can swing on a USB printer. Many retailers
    throw in a cheap printer when you buy a new computer nowadays.

    Then again, your next question raises the possibility of another solution.

    >I did want to know if (I) could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computer or
    > do (I) have to get (a) wireless hookup?

    If you've got a grand to spend, that will easily cover both a
    wireless-enabled laptop and access point/router. Assuming you have
    broadband, this is all you'll need to get online. If not, you can
    either use Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop (if it's running
    Windows 98 SE or later) to access your dialup, or try finding an access
    point with a built-in modem. You can also do what I did until I finally
    broke down and got broadband-just use dialup with the laptop itself.
    I'd still go ahead and get the access point, though. It'll make sharing
    files with your desktop a lot easier. You can also set up that printer
    of yours as shared on your desktop computer, and print wirelessly from
    your laptop.

    As for which brand of laptop to buy, I'd stick with a known one, if for
    no other reason than to ensure adequate support and the availability of
    accessories, especially spare and replacement batteries. Rest assured
    you'll need one soon enough.

    And I'd check with your school as to what they'd recommend you get,
    especially if you plan on connecting it to their network, or if you're
    in college-in which case you *will* have to connect it to their network
    to get the most out of having it. There's an outside chance you'll have
    to meet certain operating system or software requirements, such as
    running Windows XP Professional so you can join a domain or Active
    Directory. Also, if you're in college and living on campus, make sure
    they're OK with you hooking your wireless router into their network
    before you try it. Some institutions don't allow this.

    Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

    Jonathan L. Parker, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Guest

    Hi Jonathon- Thanks for the thorough reply! It is appreciated. I need a
    laptop for school. I have retired from work and am going back to
    college to finally get my degree. Right now, just one class. I just
    bought a new HP 1020 laser printer, so i think it should work fine with
    a laptop. Incidentally, the reason i need to buy a new computer is the
    printer requires that i run their cd first before operating the
    printer. Since the old cd rom was broken, i bought a new one, but
    windows said it was corrupt or missing and wouldn't let me install it.
    I was told the only way to fix it would be to re-install Windows, but i
    would lose all data. Since my son uses this computer, he didn't want
    any of his stuff deleted. So now i can't install the printer or cd rom.
    Anyway, a laptop would be handy. I guess i should buy one that plays
    dvds since you said most laptops have that feature anyway and would
    probably need it for software.
    Jonathan L. Parker wrote:
> [...]

    > no other reason than to ensure adequate support and the availability of
    > accessories, especially spare and replacement batteries. Rest assured
    > you'll need one soon enough.
    >
    > And I'd check with your school as to what they'd recommend you get,
    > especially if you plan on connecting it to their network, or if you're
    > in college-in which case you *will* have to connect it to their network
    > to get the most out of having it. There's an outside chance you'll have
    > to meet certain operating system or software requirements, such as
    > running Windows XP Professional so you can join a domain or Active
    > Directory. Also, if you're in college and living on campus, make sure
    > they're OK with you hooking your wireless router into their network
    > before you try it. Some institutions don't allow this.
    >
    > Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

    , Aug 7, 2006
  4. Guest

    Buy a used Sony machine on eBay. And spend the money you save on
    maxing out the memory and a new hard drive.

    wrote:
    > I am considering buying a laptop. I already have a desktop, but want a
    > laptop for school I don't need all the bells and whistles, just
    > something basic. I don't play games or will i use it to play dvds,
    > perhaps cds.Any brand or model to consider? I want to get the best i
    > can afford for the stuff i need.{Up to $1000.00 if i need to spend that
    > much} I already have a printer waiting to hook up to it.I did want to
    > know if i could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computeror
    > do i have to get wireless hookup.? Thanks

    , Aug 7, 2006
  5. Get the $549 deal on the Toshiba A105 at Office Depot.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 7, 2006
  6. J. Clarke Guest

    wrote:

    > I am considering buying a laptop. I already have a desktop, but want a
    > laptop for school I don't need all the bells and whistles, just
    > something basic. I don't play games or will i use it to play dvds,
    > perhaps cds.Any brand or model to consider? I want to get the best i
    > can afford for the stuff i need.{Up to $1000.00 if i need to spend that
    > much} I already have a printer waiting to hook up to it.I did want to
    > know if i could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computeror
    > do i have to get wireless hookup.? Thanks

    Best Buy generally has some nice Emachines (they're called "Gateway" now)
    64-bit models for really attractive prices.

    If you have two NICs in your desktop machine you can connect to the net via
    Network Connection Sharing, but personally I'd use a hardware
    firewall/router.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Aug 7, 2006
  7. felmon davis Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:22:57 -0700, shareyourknowledge wrote:

    > Since the old cd rom was broken, i bought a new one, but
    > windows said it was corrupt or missing and wouldn't let me install it.
    > I was told the only way to fix it would be to re-install Windows, but i
    > would lose all data.

    you mean you bought a new cd drive and installed it yourself but Windows
    gave some error?

    can you go back to Windows and say exactly what the error is and what you
    do that leads to it?

    I very much doubt this problem would require reinstalling Windows. did you
    take the computer to a qualified technician who then told you this?

    anyway, the important thing is this problem is probably fixable. there is
    certainly someone here who can give good advice on it once you describe
    the circumstances and text of the error message.

    Felmon

    felmon davis, Aug 8, 2006
  8. Larry Guest

    We have 3 Dell laptops (Inspiron 9400, XPS140, and Inspiron e1405). I just
    bought the e1405 for my college student daughter for $680 + tax (Intel
    1.86ghz Intel solo core, 1 gig RAM, 80 mb HD, bluetooth wireless, CD/DVD
    writer and WXGA true life screen. The duo core rocks though (I have this on
    my 9400), but needed to keep the price down on the e1405. I love them and
    you can find them even cheaper on eBay as new computers from Dell re-sellers
    (I bought our Dell desktop in this manner).
    I prefer Dells, as I have never had a bad experience with the 6 I have as
    personal or business computers. If I didn't buy Dell, I'd probably look at
    Toshiba, Lenovo, or HP. Also search www.delloutlet.com for some good deals.

    Larry, Aug 8, 2006
  9. Guest

    Hi Felmon-I ihooked up the cd rom and it powered up, but when i tried
    to install it, Windows said it was corrupt or missing. It had a code of
    39. I spent all day researching the net and came up with a possible fix
    via Microsoft, but it was all beyond my computer repair capabilities.I
    took the cd rom {Lite-on} back to the PC Club to have it tested. The
    tech said it was o.k. and thought the hard drive was highjacked. He
    recommended having Windows re-installed. I think their might be a way
    to fix this without going through all the trouble of reinstalling.If
    so, please explain in laymen terms! Hopefully this helps you understand
    the problem.Thanks again.
    felmon davis wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:22:57 -0700, shareyourknowledge wrote:
    >
    > > Since the old cd rom was broken, i bought a new one, but
    > > windows said it was corrupt or missing and wouldn't let me install it.
    > > I was told the only way to fix it would be to re-install Windows, but i
    > > would lose all data.

    > you mean you bought a new cd drive and installed it yourself but Windows
    > gave some error?
    >
    > can you go back to Windows and say exactly what the error is and what you
    > do that leads to it?
    >
    > I very much doubt this problem would require reinstalling Windows. did you
    > take the computer to a qualified technician who then told you this?
    >
    > anyway, the important thing is this problem is probably fixable. there is
    > certainly someone here who can give good advice on it once you describe
    > the circumstances and text of the error message.
    >
    > Felmon

    , Aug 9, 2006
  10. Guest

    Hello again. Here is the exact message i get. "Windows cannot load the
    device driver for this hardware. Driver may be corrupt or missing. Code
    39" While checking out the help section, i came across the device
    manager. I clicked on the upgrade hardware icon, but it still didn't
    allow me to install the cd-rom. Any suggestions on how to fix the
    problem? I can't install my printer until i fix the cd-rom!
    wrote:
    > Hi Felmon-I ihooked up the cd rom and it powered up, but when i tried
    > to install it, Windows said it was corrupt or missing. It had a code of
    > 39. I spent all day researching the net and came up with a possible fix
    > via Microsoft, but it was all beyond my computer repair capabilities.I
    > took the cd rom {Lite-on} back to the PC Club to have it tested. The
    > tech said it was o.k. and thought the hard drive was highjacked. He
    > recommended having Windows re-installed. I think their might be a way
    > to fix this without going through all the trouble of reinstalling.If
    > so, please explain in laymen terms! Hopefully this helps you understand
    > the problem.Thanks again.
    > felmon davis wrote:
    > > On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:22:57 -0700, shareyourknowledge wrote:
    > >
    > > > Since the old cd rom was broken, i bought a new one, but
    > > > windows said it was corrupt or missing and wouldn't let me install it.
    > > > I was told the only way to fix it would be to re-install Windows, but i
    > > > would lose all data.

    > > you mean you bought a new cd drive and installed it yourself but Windows
    > > gave some error?
    > >
    > > can you go back to Windows and say exactly what the error is and what you
    > > do that leads to it?
    > >
    > > I very much doubt this problem would require reinstalling Windows. did you
    > > take the computer to a qualified technician who then told you this?
    > >
    > > anyway, the important thing is this problem is probably fixable. there is
    > > certainly someone here who can give good advice on it once you describe
    > > the circumstances and text of the error message.
    > >
    > > Felmon

    , Aug 9, 2006
  11. felmon davis Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:07:37 -0700, shareyourknowledge wrote:

    > Hi Felmon-I ihooked up the cd rom and it powered up, but when i tried
    > to install it, Windows said it was corrupt or missing. It had a code of
    > 39. I spent all day researching the net and came up with a possible fix
    > via Microsoft, but it was all beyond my computer repair capabilities.I
    > took the cd rom {Lite-on} back to the PC Club to have it tested. The
    > tech said it was o.k. and thought the hard drive was highjacked. He
    > recommended having Windows re-installed. I think their might be a way to
    > fix this without going through all the trouble of reinstalling.If so,
    > please explain in laymen terms! Hopefully this helps you understand the
    > problem.Thanks again.

    I am not sure I am in a position to help; I just wanted you to state your
    problem clearly so that I or, more likely, someone more knowledgeable
    could spare you a reinstall. you may have provided someone with enough
    info in this post.

    for instance, the error code 39 is intriguing. I found a thread where
    someone seems to have a solution for your problem. can you take a look at
    this and see if it helps. point out stuff you don't understand. if you
    haven't fooled with this sort of thing, it can be a bit hairy.

    <http://www.totallydrivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582>

    (btw, one fellow offers a file to fix the problem. I haven't looked at it
    yet. in general though be very wary of applying stuff like this unless you
    are reasonably certain of the integrity of the source or can check the
    code yourself.)

    meanwhile if someone reading this thread has a good handle on this,
    please chip in.

    Felmon

    felmon davis, Aug 9, 2006
  12. Guest

    Dear Felmon- I will try that link you suggested. Meanwhile, i went into
    the device manager and uninstalled the cd-rom, then re-installed it. I
    still get the error code. A message said it was installed but may not
    work properly. Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is a driver? Is it
    hardware i can add or is it internal?
    felmon davis wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:07:37 -0700, shareyourknowledge wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Felmon-I ihooked up the cd rom and it powered up, but when i tried
    > > to install it, Windows said it was corrupt or missing. It had a code of
    > > 39. I spent all day researching the net and came up with a possible fix
    > > via Microsoft, but it was all beyond my computer repair capabilities.I
    > > took the cd rom {Lite-on} back to the PC Club to have it tested. The
    > > tech said it was o.k. and thought the hard drive was highjacked. He
    > > recommended having Windows re-installed. I think their might be a way to
    > > fix this without going through all the trouble of reinstalling.If so,
    > > please explain in laymen terms! Hopefully this helps you understand the
    > > problem.Thanks again.

    > I am not sure I am in a position to help; I just wanted you to state your
    > problem clearly so that I or, more likely, someone more knowledgeable
    > could spare you a reinstall. you may have provided someone with enough
    > info in this post.
    >
    > for instance, the error code 39 is intriguing. I found a thread where
    > someone seems to have a solution for your problem. can you take a look at
    > this and see if it helps. point out stuff you don't understand. if you
    > haven't fooled with this sort of thing, it can be a bit hairy.
    >
    > <http://www.totallydrivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582>
    >
    > (btw, one fellow offers a file to fix the problem. I haven't looked at it
    > yet. in general though be very wary of applying stuff like this unless you
    > are reasonably certain of the integrity of the source or can check the
    > code yourself.)
    >
    > meanwhile if someone reading this thread has a good handle on this,
    > please chip in.
    >
    > Felmon

    , Aug 9, 2006
  13. Guest

    I went to the link you suggested, followed the protocol and voila! the
    cd-rom is now working. . I spent a few long nights trying to find the
    fix. Thanks again. Bob.
    felmon davis wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:07:37 -0700, shareyourknowledge wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Felmon-I ihooked up the cd rom and it powered up, but when i tried
    > > to install it, Windows said it was corrupt or missing. It had a code of
    > > 39. I spent all day researching the net and came up with a possible fix
    > > via Microsoft, but it was all beyond my computer repair capabilities.I
    > > took the cd rom {Lite-on} back to the PC Club to have it tested. The
    > > tech said it was o.k. and thought the hard drive was highjacked. He
    > > recommended having Windows re-installed. I think their might be a way to
    > > fix this without going through all the trouble of reinstalling.If so,
    > > please explain in laymen terms! Hopefully this helps you understand the
    > > problem.Thanks again.

    > I am not sure I am in a position to help; I just wanted you to state your
    > problem clearly so that I or, more likely, someone more knowledgeable
    > could spare you a reinstall. you may have provided someone with enough
    > info in this post.
    >
    > for instance, the error code 39 is intriguing. I found a thread where
    > someone seems to have a solution for your problem. can you take a look at
    > this and see if it helps. point out stuff you don't understand. if you
    > haven't fooled with this sort of thing, it can be a bit hairy.
    >
    > <http://www.totallydrivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582>
    >
    > (btw, one fellow offers a file to fix the problem. I haven't looked at it
    > yet. in general though be very wary of applying stuff like this unless you
    > are reasonably certain of the integrity of the source or can check the
    > code yourself.)
    >
    > meanwhile if someone reading this thread has a good handle on this,
    > please chip in.
    >
    > Felmon

    , Aug 9, 2006
  14. Inquirer Guest

    Buying Refurbished: Consider Carefully (was Re: Laptop questions

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:12:45 GMT, "Larry" <>
    wrote:

    [excerpt]
    > Also search www.delloutlet.com for some good deals.

    AFAIK, all products sold on Dell Outlet are refurbished* and as such,
    come with only a 90-day warranty. This can be extended but one must
    then consider the _total_ cost vs. the cost of buying new- where a 1
    yr. warranty is usually standard.

    Also: _New_ items purchased with a gold or platnium credit card will
    usually qualify for an additional one-year of third-party warranty
    coverage. To the best of my knowledge, this does not apply to
    refurbished products, however.

    *- Even though Dell lists three dif. categories of Outlet products:
    Scratch& Dent, Like New, ...., these are all under the general
    umbrella of 'refurbished' and as such, all come with only 90-day
    warranties.

    Inquirer, Aug 14, 2006
  15. Inquirer Guest

    On 6 Aug 2006 17:22:57 -0700, wrote:
    [excerpt]
    >I was told the only way to fix it would be to re-install Windows, but i
    >would lose all data. Since my son uses this computer, he didn't want
    >any of his stuff deleted.

    He should have his data backed-up anyway.

    Inquirer, Aug 14, 2006