large drive with 503+

Discussion in 'FIC' started by nobody@junk.min.net, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig be used with an FIC VA503+?

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

  2. student

    student Guest

    wrote:
    > Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
    >

    > Alan

    I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller card
    for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
    discussion here
    about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
    using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
    upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).

    1. Advertising

  3. Kyle

    Kyle Guest

    Yes, but you will need the most recent je3333 BIOS (I think this is
    the correct number). This BIOS supports drives up to 127Gig, I
    believe. I use a 20 Gig drive on my 503+ using the onboard IDE
    interfaces.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    <> wrote in message
    | Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig be used with an FIC VA503+?

  4. Guest

    In <Bw3be.16247$>, on 04/25/05
    at 10:21 AM, student <> said:

    >> Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
    >>

    > I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
    >card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
    >discussion here

    So a second party controller is required?

    >about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
    >using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
    >upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).

    The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
    hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
    networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
    available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
    asking my question above.

    Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

  5. student

    student Guest

    wrote:
    > In <Bw3be.16247$>, on 04/25/05
    > at 10:21 AM, student <> said:
    >

    >>>Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
    >>>

    >> I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
    >>card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
    >>discussion here

    > So a second party controller is required?
    >

    >>about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
    >>using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
    >>upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).

    > The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
    > hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
    > networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
    > available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
    > asking my question above.
    >
    > Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.
    >

    > Alan

    As Kyle rightly points out, you can connect 33Mhz max burst rate
    hard drives directly to the mobo, but almost any drive you buy today
    is rated at 100-133Mhz max burst rate, so it would be a huge waste to
    run it at 33Mhz m.b.r, especially when you can pick up a pci ide
    controller board that will handle 133Mhz for about $15. The key point,
    as Kyle said, is that you have to upgrade the BIOS. I don't know if all
    the bits and pieces you need to do that are still available on the FICA
    website but if not I am sure someone here will be happy to supply you
    with them.

    Bill

  6. Robert Akins

    Robert Akins Guest

    Upgrading your BIOS to JE4333 will give you up to 136GB hard drives with
    your onboard VIA ATA33 controller.
    Robert