    Op. System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    Any ideas anyone?
    TIA - Ron

    Ron Wood, Dec 29, 2008

  2. Ron Wood

    Warren Block Guest

    Ron Wood <> wrote:
    > Have a 4100N connected to PC via Parallel Cable - everything works fine.
    > Trying to connect to Laptop via Ethernet Cable.
    > The printer has an Ethernet board - RJ 45.
    > Bought Cable - so far so good.

    An Ethernet crossover cable is needed if you want to connect a computer
    to the printer directly. If there's a hub or switch between the two,
    normal cables are fine.

    Warren Block, Dec 29, 2008

  3. Ron Wood

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ron Wood wrote:
    > Hi Group
    > Have a 4100N connected to PC via Parallel Cable - everything works fine.
    > Trying to connect to Laptop via Ethernet Cable.
    > The printer has an Ethernet board - RJ 45.
    > Bought Cable - so far so good.
    > Connected to both printer and laptop - so far so good.
    > When connected to Laptop the little green winked briefly.
    > Downloaded Driver (lj928) from HP.
    > Ran setup - "it" can't find printer.
    > Powered everything off, tried again, ZILCH.
    > Op. System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    > Any ideas anyone?
    > TIA - Ron

    Item zero. As stated elsewhere, you need a crossover cable to connect a
    computer to an Ethernet port on a printer.

    First, the IP addresses of the printer and the laptop have to be in the
    same range. I am assuming that your laptop connects to the internet via
    a wireless 802.11 card. So you have to assign an IP address to the
    laptop's Ethernet port in a different IP address range from the wifi.
    For example, if the IP address of your laptop's wifi adapters is
    192.168.1.111, then configure the Ethernet as 192.168.0.1.

    Next, you need to configure the JetDirect 600-series card in the printer
    , picking, for example, 192.168.0.2 as the address. How to configure?
    You can do so the hard way via the 4100 control panel. Or you can
    download and use HP's Install Network Printer Wizard. To use the Wizard,
    you need to remove the JetDirect card and write down its MAC address.
    Some people would rather use the printer control panel than the Wizard,
    so they will flame me for suggesting it. So what! It's a matter of
    personal preference whether to push buttons on a control panel or to run
    some simple software.

    Once configured, the printer's information can be accessed via a browser
    using the IP address in the browser address bar.

    Assuming that you do have a router there, why not connect the printer to
    the router instead? That is the customary way to do it, and that way
    allows more than one computer to use the printer independently of one
    another.

    I have a slightly older 4050 on my network here. Very sturdy and
    reliable. Enjoy your 4100... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 30, 2008
  4. Ron Wood

    Ron Wood Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > Ron Wood wrote:
    >> Hi Group
    >> Have a 4100N connected to PC via Parallel Cable - everything works fine.
    >> Trying to connect to Laptop via Ethernet Cable.
    >> The printer has an Ethernet board - RJ 45.
    >> Bought Cable - so far so good.
    >> Connected to both printer and laptop - so far so good.
    >> When connected to Laptop the little green winked briefly.
    >> Downloaded Driver (lj928) from HP.
    >> Ran setup - "it" can't find printer.
    >> Powered everything off, tried again, ZILCH.
    >> Op. System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    >> Any ideas anyone?
    >> TIA - Ron
    >>

    > Item zero. As stated elsewhere, you need a crossover cable to connect a
    > computer to an Ethernet port on a printer.
    >
    > First, the IP addresses of the printer and the laptop have to be in the
    > same range. I am assuming that your laptop connects to the internet via a
    > wireless 802.11 card. So you have to assign an IP address to the laptop's
    > Ethernet port in a different IP address range from the wifi. For example,
    > if the IP address of your laptop's wifi adapters is 192.168.1.111, then
    > configure the Ethernet as 192.168.0.1.
    >
    > Next, you need to configure the JetDirect 600-series card in the printer ,
    > picking, for example, 192.168.0.2 as the address. How to configure? You
    > can do so the hard way via the 4100 control panel. Or you can download
    > and use HP's Install Network Printer Wizard. To use the Wizard, you need
    > to remove the JetDirect card and write down its MAC address. Some people
    > would rather use the printer control panel than the Wizard, so they will
    > flame me for suggesting it. So what! It's a matter of personal
    > preference whether to push buttons on a control panel or to run some
    > simple software.
    >
    > Once configured, the printer's information can be accessed via a browser
    > using the IP address in the browser address bar.
    >
    > Assuming that you do have a router there, why not connect the printer to
    > the router instead? That is the customary way to do it, and that way
    > allows more than one computer to use the printer independently of one
    > another.
    >
    > I have a slightly older 4050 on my network here. Very sturdy and
    > reliable. Enjoy your 4100... Ben Myers

    Thanks Ben, that's my task sorted for today, will keep you guys posted, yes,
    have been impressed (and satisfied) with its capabilities so far.
    Regards, Ron

    Ron Wood, Dec 30, 2008