    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Jethro
    Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

    Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL], Apr 30, 2009

  2. Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL]

    deimos Guest

    Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
    > My son has a AMD X2 4200 system that has a wonky X850XT PE card in it.
    > What would be the last AGP card available from nVidia and how would it
    > compare to AMD's last card which I believe is a HD3850 from Sapphire

    The last commonly available NVidia AGP GPU's were the 7600GS/GT and
    7900GS. Both of these are considerably less capable than the 3850.
    There have been a few oddball AGP conversion since then, like (I
    believe) an 8400 AGP/PCI, but that's really not useful to many people.

    I've recommended an X1950 Pro to my friends still using AGP systems. It
    benchmarks considerably faster than a 7900GS and so far has proven
    reliable. The 3850 is a faster chip (almost the speed of an 8800GS and
    possibly an 8800GT in it's PCIE version).

    The AMD's are cheap and available, whereas the NVIDIA AGP stock is
    pretty much gone by now, so don't fret over it much.

    deimos, Apr 30, 2009

  3. deimos wrote:
    > Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
    >> My son has a AMD X2 4200 system that has a wonky X850XT PE card in it.
    >> What would be the last AGP card available from nVidia and how would it
    >> compare to AMD's last card which I believe is a HD3850 from Sapphire
    >>

    > The last commonly available NVidia AGP GPU's were the 7600GS/GT and
    > 7900GS. Both of these are considerably less capable than the 3850.
    > There have been a few oddball AGP conversion since then, like (I
    > believe) an 8400 AGP/PCI, but that's really not useful to many people.
    >
    > I've recommended an X1950 Pro to my friends still using AGP systems. It
    > benchmarks considerably faster than a 7900GS and so far has proven
    > reliable. The 3850 is a faster chip (almost the speed of an 8800GS and
    > possibly an 8800GT in it's PCIE version).
    >
    > The AMD's are cheap and available, whereas the NVIDIA AGP stock is
    > pretty much gone by now, so don't fret over it much.

    Thanks for the info. I was wondering how well nVidia was keeping the AGP
    line and as I see... not well.
    The HD3850 is still kinda pricey for the older PC he's got. I'll check
    to see what I can get for a X1950.

    Thx

    Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL], May 1, 2009
  4. Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL]

    abhi

    Joined:
    May 1, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    hello guys....plz help me out....
    i need a bios update and the references i can provide are as follows:
    PhoenixBios
    Pentium(R) IV
    Phoenix2001
    000309117

    I have bought an AGP NVIDIA Geforce Fx5500 graphic card but after i installed the driver, it keeps on rebooting my system....so i guess i must updtae my bios to make it work properly....if there is any other solution plz help me out quickly....thx guys....

    abhi, May 1, 2009
  5. Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL]

    Woger Guest

    On Fri, 01 May 2009 11:29:42 -0400, "Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL]"
    <> wrote:

    >deimos wrote:
    >> Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
    >>> My son has a AMD X2 4200 system that has a wonky X850XT PE card in it.
    >>> What would be the last AGP card available from nVidia and how would it
    >>> compare to AMD's last card which I believe is a HD3850 from Sapphire
    >>>

    >> The last commonly available NVidia AGP GPU's were the 7600GS/GT and
    >> 7900GS. Both of these are considerably less capable than the 3850.
    >> There have been a few oddball AGP conversion since then, like (I
    >> believe) an 8400 AGP/PCI, but that's really not useful to many people.
    >>
    >> I've recommended an X1950 Pro to my friends still using AGP systems. It
    >> benchmarks considerably faster than a 7900GS and so far has proven
    >> reliable. The 3850 is a faster chip (almost the speed of an 8800GS and
    >> possibly an 8800GT in it's PCIE version).
    >>
    >> The AMD's are cheap and available, whereas the NVIDIA AGP stock is
    >> pretty much gone by now, so don't fret over it much.

    >Thanks for the info. I was wondering how well nVidia was keeping the AGP
    >line and as I see... not well.

    Well there are lots of Good Nvidia cards some with dual GPU's but the NZ
    Agents do not import them, I did some research into this a about last year,
    and was surprised at the models that were available over seas, plus on even
    newer Nvidia cards as one firm decided that there are stacks of AGP PC out
    there.

    Woger, May 1, 2009
  6. First of One wrote:
    > How's the search going for you? :) Fact of the matter is, both type of
    > cards are discontinued, and you are just buying up diminishing stock. Normal
    > rules such as "slower card should be cheaper" don't apply.
    >
    > Lowest price I could find online for X1950 Pro AGP in new condition (not
    > used or open box) is $153:
    > http://www.nextdaypc.com/main/products/details.aspx?PID=3142358&rsmainid=ND0130014
    >
    > Lowest price for a HD3850 AGP in new condition is $110:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730

    My local shop only has a Asus 3450 $60
    http://www.pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=VC-AS-AH3450-HTP-256M

    The 2 online shops I have used have:
    Sapphire 3650 $104
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4329699&CatId=318
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35436&vpn=AH3650 SILENT/HTDI/512M&manufacture=ASUS

    Sapphire 3850 $150-$166
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3855381&CatId=318
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28711&vpn=100228L&manufacture=SAPPHIRE
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37409&vpn=AG3850 512MD3&manufacture=PowerColor

    How would the 3650 stack up to a maligned X850XT PE?

    Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL], May 4, 2009
  7. Bill wrote:
    > In article <gtcncq$dge$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >> My son has a AMD X2 4200 system that has a wonky X850XT PE card in it.
    >> What would be the last AGP card available from nVidia and how would it
    >> compare to AMD's last card which I believe is a HD3850 from Sapphire

    > What was wrong with the answers you got a few weeks ago when you asked
    > this question in the ATI group?
    >
    > Bill

    I was asking about an ATI replacement and now I am wondering if there
    are any comparable nVidia replacements... which there doesn't seem to be.
    Lessons learned and now I know where to focus my research.

    Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL], May 4, 2009
  8. First of One wrote:
    > You are in the Ottawa area? I was referring to $USD prices. Prices in $CAD
    > will be naturally higher.
    >
    > Because there is a 3-generation gap between the two cards, not many people
    > do benchmark comparisons between the two. The 3650 is slower by as much as
    > 21% in Tomshardware tests. Note the tests used an X800XT, which has slower
    > clocks than the X850XTPE but otherwise has the same number of shader units
    > and pipelines.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...alf-Life-2-Episode-2,Marque_fbrandx4,768.html
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...tory-Quake-Wars-v1.4,Marque_fbrandx4,762.html
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/.../Call-of-Duty-4-v1.6,Marque_fbrandx4,744.html

    So the 3650 which is 3 generations newer is actually slower than the
    X850XT?

    But then again if the X850XT is not working right and giving only 9 fps
    in TF2, it's not really running faster than a HD3650. :-\

    Thanks,

    Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL], May 5, 2009