Latest PCIe x 16 2.0 video cards on ASUS A8N-E motherboard?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by NoName, Jul 23, 2011.

  1. NoName

    NoName Guest

    I have a PC I built some years ago with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard.
    The motherboard has slots for PCI Express x 16 and PCI Express x 4,
    but there is no mention in the manual of supporting the PCIe 2.0
    standard I now see for the new cards.

    Question: Will the new cards physicall fit in the slots on the ASUS
    board? Will the new cards work, even if the board does not support
    the 2.0 standard? Will they work acceptably? I am not doing gaming,
    just stanard word processing, web browsing, and I do watch DVDs on my
    PC.

    I need the new card to support a new wide screen monitor with analog
    input (my old monitor was digital only).

    Thanks in advance for info.

    1. Advertising

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    NoName wrote:
    > I have a PC I built some years ago with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard.
    > The motherboard has slots for PCI Express x 16 and PCI Express x 4,
    > but there is no mention in the manual of supporting the PCIe 2.0
    > standard I now see for the new cards.
    >
    > Question: Will the new cards physicall fit in the slots on the ASUS
    > board? Will the new cards work, even if the board does not support
    > the 2.0 standard? Will they work acceptably? I am not doing gaming,
    > just stanard word processing, web browsing, and I do watch DVDs on my
    > PC.
    >
    > I need the new card to support a new wide screen monitor with analog
    > input (my old monitor was digital only).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for info.

    You can try data mining here, and see if there are any complaints
    about video cards not working. This is just about the worst place
    you can try data mining - slow server, plus no good search capability
    either internally or externally. It means, you just have to read the
    stinking posts...

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=A8N-E&SLanguage=en-us

    There is a claim here, the slot is PCI Express 1.0a.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...board_id=1&model=A8N-E&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    Back in the day, there were issues with one of the first 2.0 video cards.
    That was resolved in some cases, by flash upgrading the video card. I'm not
    really sure whether this issue has been resolved with later generations and
    is no longer an issue. But at least you can find examples, where 8800GT
    didn't work with some things.

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/3561-8800gt-compatibility-pcie-1-0-1-0a.html

    It might have had something to do, with negotiating the operating mode. And
    the first 2.0 cards, may not have successfully geared down to 1.0. The
    flash upgrade, was to "jam" them into a non 2.0 mode. Perhaps newer
    video cards, with those issues known, would be able to handle anything
    they run into.

    Paul

    1. Advertising

  3. Tazz

    Tazz Guest

    On 23/07/2011 1:43 AM, NoName wrote:
    > I have a PC I built some years ago with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard.
    > The motherboard has slots for PCI Express x 16 and PCI Express x 4,
    > but there is no mention in the manual of supporting the PCIe 2.0
    > standard I now see for the new cards.
    >
    > Question: Will the new cards physicall fit in the slots on the ASUS
    > board? Will the new cards work, even if the board does not support
    > the 2.0 standard? Will they work acceptably? I am not doing gaming,
    > just stanard word processing, web browsing, and I do watch DVDs on my
    > PC.
    >
    > I need the new card to support a new wide screen monitor with analog
    > input (my old monitor was digital only).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for info.

    I have a GeForce GT 240 videocard that's a x16 v2 and it's running on an
    old Biostar P4M90-M4 motherboard that only supports x16 v1.1 The GT 240
    is only running at x16 v1.1

    The card fit fine, it's just running at the fastest setting that the
    motherboard can support.

    One thing to watch out for, some cards need an extra power connector to
    help power the card. The GT 240 DON'T need an extra power connector but
    it needs (according to the Nvidia website) at least a 350 watt power
    supply. So just a heads up to double check on this if you were not aware.

  4. NoName

    NoName Guest

    Thanks, guys. OP