Latitude D600: left mouse button not working

Discussion in 'Dell' started by vbDavidC, Mar 29, 2009.

  1. vbDavidC

    vbDavidC Guest

    My left mouse (track pad and stickpad) buttons stopped working today.
    I had to connect a USB mouse to use the computer. I cannot click on
    anything.

    I booted to a Linux live CD and it did not work there either so I know
    it is not my XP install.

    It seemed to start because I was having a problem with the LEDs above
    the keyboard for caps lock, num lock, and system power. For some
    reason they do not light up properly unless I press on the little
    board where the LEDs reside. I was pressing down on that part of the
    computer (LED board) when the buttons stopped working.

    I was able to switch the Click function to my right mouse button so I
    guess I don't need the external mouse. I also enabled the touchpad
    for tapping which I had turned off a long time ago because I did not
    like that feature but it seems to work OK right now.

    Any suggestions.

    Thanks, David

    vbDavidC, Mar 29, 2009

  2. vbDavidC

    S.Lewis Guest

    "vbDavidC" <> wrote in message
    > My left mouse (track pad and stickpad) buttons stopped working today.
    > I had to connect a USB mouse to use the computer. I cannot click on
    > anything.
    >
    > I booted to a Linux live CD and it did not work there either so I know
    > it is not my XP install.
    >
    > It seemed to start because I was having a problem with the LEDs above
    > the keyboard for caps lock, num lock, and system power. For some
    > reason they do not light up properly unless I press on the little
    > board where the LEDs reside. I was pressing down on that part of the
    > computer (LED board) when the buttons stopped working.
    >
    > I was able to switch the Click function to my right mouse button so I
    > guess I don't need the external mouse. I also enabled the touchpad
    > for tapping which I had turned off a long time ago because I did not
    > like that feature but it seems to work OK right now.
    >
    > Any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks, David

    Replace the palmrest assembly which (if complete) will come with the
    touchpad assy included.

    S.Lewis, Mar 29, 2009

  3. vbDavidC

    Ben Myers Guest

    vbDavidC wrote:
    > My left mouse (track pad and stickpad) buttons stopped working today.
    > I had to connect a USB mouse to use the computer. I cannot click on
    > anything.
    >
    > I booted to a Linux live CD and it did not work there either so I know
    > it is not my XP install.
    >
    > It seemed to start because I was having a problem with the LEDs above
    > the keyboard for caps lock, num lock, and system power. For some
    > reason they do not light up properly unless I press on the little
    > board where the LEDs reside. I was pressing down on that part of the
    > computer (LED board) when the buttons stopped working.
    >
    > I was able to switch the Click function to my right mouse button so I
    > guess I don't need the external mouse. I also enabled the touchpad
    > for tapping which I had turned off a long time ago because I did not
    > like that feature but it seems to work OK right now.
    >
    > Any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks, David

    For these sorts of problems (LEDs too), it is worthwhile to disassemble
    to D600 partially and see if any connections worked loose. See the Dell
    web site for the complete service manual. The D600 is fairly easy to
    disassemble. All you need are small flat-bladed and Philips head
    screwdrivers... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 30, 2009
  4. vbDavidC

    vbDavidC Guest

    Ben, Thanks your suggestions.

    I have taken notebook apart several and very familiar with
    disassembling these D600.

    For some reason I have seen this problem in several notebooks. I've
    purchased several of these used recently over Craigslist. 2 for
    friends and 1 for myself. I thought my problem was maybe because I
    had reassembled the unit improperly although that is somewhat hard to
    do. However, I got a different unit last week with the same problem.

    Looking at the pieces it seems fairly straightforward.

    vbDavidC, Mar 30, 2009