    little.

    any help would be great.

    thanks
    winderjj, Aug 11, 2003

  2. winderjj

    marlinspike Guest

    Well, unless you want an active solution with fans that either drain your
    battery or (I am told these exist though I never found one) one with an ac
    cord you have to plug in, there isn't much. There is a heat pipe solution
    (sold at www.buyextras.com as well as other store - no relation, that's just
    where I got mine) but to make that really work you need to get a dremel or
    something and shave down anything that keeps your laptop permanently raised.
    If the laptop is suspended above it, it will cool it a tiny bit, but if it's
    touching it the laptop will be cooled a lot (i took a CD out of my laptop
    that had been in use for a few hours, i.e. very hot, and it became cold (not
    cool, cold) after about 8 seconds on the heat pipe pad. The ones that just
    raise it to nothing. The heat pipe will at least raise it, and then cool it
    at least a little better.
    Richard

    marlinspike, Aug 11, 2003

  3. marlinspike wrote:
    > Well, unless you want an active solution with fans that either drain your
    > battery or (I am told these exist though I never found one) one with an ac
    > cord you have to plug in, there isn't much. There is a heat pipe solution
    > (sold at www.buyextras.com as well as other store - no relation, that's just
    > where I got mine) but to make that really work you need to get a dremel or
    > something and shave down anything that keeps your laptop permanently raised.
    > If the laptop is suspended above it, it will cool it a tiny bit, but if it's
    > touching it the laptop will be cooled a lot (i took a CD out of my laptop
    > that had been in use for a few hours, i.e. very hot, and it became cold (not
    > cool, cold) after about 8 seconds on the heat pipe pad. The ones that just
    > raise it to nothing. The heat pipe will at least raise it, and then cool it
    > at least a little better.
    > Richard
    > "winderjj" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>Question, My new latop (Inspiron 8500) runs pretty hot. THis is by
    >>far my biggest issue with the computer. So I have seen some posts
    >>talk about cooling pads? I was thinking about getting one. I found
    >>one that seems to be more like a mini stand for the computer than a
    >>pad. It essentially just raises the computer so it will have better
    >>ventilation.
    >>
    >>What are my options? Could somebody give me a reccomendation. I want
    >>to purchase something pretty soon that will cool down the maching a
    >>little.
    >>
    >>any help would be great.
    >>
    >>thanks

    I use a wooden chopping board most of the time, to protect my legs. It's
    currently very hot here in the UK (mid 80's) so I'm also using a USB
    powered pad that has three fans keeping the air moving under the laptop.
    Very affective it is too, just a bit noisy and a real battery killer...
    --
    ©¿©¬

    I found it hard, it was hard to find, oh well, whatever, nevermind...

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish

    Yahoo ID pendragon_kernow
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=, Aug 11, 2003
  4. winderjj

    r Guest

    > I use a wooden chopping board most of the time, to protect my legs. It's
    > currently very hot here in the UK (mid 80's) so I'm also using a USB
    > powered pad that has three fans keeping the air moving under the laptop.

    You call that very hot?? It is 110 in texas the last couple of days! I
    would love it to be only mid 80s.
    r, Aug 12, 2003
  5. r wrote:
    >>I use a wooden chopping board most of the time, to protect my legs. It's
    >>currently very hot here in the UK (mid 80's) so I'm also using a USB
    >>powered pad that has three fans keeping the air moving under the laptop.

    > You call that very hot?? It is 110 in texas the last couple of days! I
    > would love it to be only mid 80s.

    Yea but this is England, you know the place, rain... cold and wet for
    nine months a year, then it's time for winter and it's freezing, and wet...

    And as for Texas that at the same latitude as the Sahara, no shit it's
    hot...
    --
    ©¿©¬

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=, Aug 12, 2003