Launch nVidia Control Panel from command line?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by skydivergm@gmail.com, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I would very much like to be able to switch my primary and secondary
    displays in the swiftest way there is.
    Since I didn't come across anything that would do that, my idea is to
    launch the display settings control panel myself and send some
    keystrokes to check the "make this the primary display" checkbox, etc.

    I looked all over and couldn't fine a single reference as to how one
    can launch the nView Display Settings control panel dialog box.

    Can someone help me, please?? :)

    1. Advertising

  2. Augustus

    Augustus Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would very much like to be able to switch my primary and secondary
    > displays in the swiftest way there is.
    > Since I didn't come across anything that would do that, my idea is to
    > launch the display settings control panel myself and send some
    > keystrokes to check the "make this the primary display" checkbox, etc.
    >
    > I looked all over and couldn't fine a single reference as to how one
    > can launch the nView Display Settings control panel dialog box.
    >
    > Can someone help me, please?? :)

    What you want is actually quite simple, but it can be done better.
    In answer to your first question, simply type "nvcplui.exe" in the Run
    command or the Command Prompt window. However, a better solution is to use
    UltraMon and create a VBScript or JScript to set hotkeys or switch multiple
    monitor settings. It's doable. VBScripts can be run from the command prompt,
    but this would actually slow down since you have to open it first. I usually
    just keep ones I need in a desktop folder or on the desktop.

    1. Advertising

  3. SkyDiver

    SkyDiver Guest

    Hi, thanks for your answer.

    In the meantime, I found out about nVidia's SDK features that can be
    accessed via nvcpl.dll.
    Here's a link to the API Manual:
    http://download.nvidia.com/develope.../common/src/NvCpl/docs/NVControlPanel_API.pdf

    The way to switch primary displays is using the "setview" command.
    In my case (cloning the displays), setview 0 clone AA DA (the full
    line is "rundll32 nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 clone AA DA") would set
    the Analog Display as the Primary one, while "setview 0 clone DA AA
    would" would set the Digital Display as the primary one.

    So I could have written two small batch files - one for setting the
    Analog Display as the primary one and another for setting the Digital
    Display as the primary one. BUT, having software engineering
    background, I managed to write a small C++ program that detects the
    primary display (via the NvCplGetMSOrdinalDeviceString() function) and
    swaps it with the secondary one.

    Me is happy now :)

    BTW, as a small anecdote, I didn't have nvcplui.exe on my PC so I went
    and downloaded the new nVidia Drivers..
    I used to have a sub menu that said "Analog Display" or "SynchMaster"
    when right clicking on the desktop and selecting nVidia Display, but
    after installing the new drivers it no longer does that - I need to
    launch the nVidia Control Panel to find out.. (why do they go backward
    instead of forward??)

    Oh well.. Kirk Out.

    On Jan 17, 4:56 am, "Augustus" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I would very much like to be able to switch my primary and secondary
    > > displays in the swiftest way there is.
    > > Since I didn't come across anything that would do that, my idea is to
    > > launch the display settings control panel myself and send some
    > > keystrokes to check the "make this the primary display" checkbox, etc.

    > > I looked all over and couldn't fine a single reference as to how one
    > > can launch the nView Display Settings control panel dialog box.

    > > Can someone help me, please?? :)

    > What you want is actually quite simple, but it can be done better.
    > In answer to your first question, simply type "nvcplui.exe" in the Run
    > command or the Command Prompt window. However, a better solution is to use
    > UltraMon and create a VBScript or JScript to set hotkeys or switch multiple
    > monitor settings. It's doable. VBScripts can be run from the command prompt,
    > but this would actually slow down since you have to open it first. I usually
    > just keep ones I need in a desktop folder or on the desktop.

  4. SkyDiver