    the 30" stand-alone monitor.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 23, 2012

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > You may recall that about two months ago I mentioned that my iPad's screen
    > is polarized so that when I look at it while wearing my polarized
    > sunglasses, the screen is blanked when held vertically.

    *EVERY* LCD in existence is polarized. It's a side-effect of how they
    function. The only question is which way you have to turn each one to
    get it to "go blank" or otherwise distort while wearing your particular
    pair of polarized shades.

    --
    Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
    post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me

    Don Bruder, Jun 23, 2012

  3. In article <js3fi8$f7o$>, Don Bruder <>
    wrote:

    > > You may recall that about two months ago I mentioned that my iPad's screen
    > > is polarized so that when I look at it while wearing my polarized
    > > sunglasses, the screen is blanked when held vertically.

    > *EVERY* LCD in existence is polarized. It's a side-effect of how they
    > function. The only question is which way you have to turn each one to
    > get it to "go blank" or otherwise distort while wearing your particular
    > pair of polarized shades.

    Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of which
    way you turn it. I was pointing that out as well as the orientations to
    blank the screens of the other devices I mentioned. I was in no way
    suggesting that those were the only LCD devices that are polarized.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 23, 2012
  4. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of which
    > way you turn it.

    With my polarizing sunglasses, I can see the iphone 4 partially going
    blank at a certain angle. But not all of the screen is affected.

    Would be interesting to find out why a retina display does not seem
    polarised in any one direction as other LCD displays are.

    Perhaps the density of pixel is such that the light is already polarised
    as it passes through the dense pixels and there is no need for polarised
    glass above it.

    JF Mezei, Jun 23, 2012
  5. Salut Michelle

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > I didn't get around to testing any other iPods, the 13" MBP, any MBA, nor
    > the 30" stand-alone monitor.

    Apple sells a 30" monitor where you live? They seem to have shrinked it
    to 27" in swiss Apple Stores.

    Cheers
    Andreas

    --
    MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
    EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk

    Andreas Rutishauser, Jun 23, 2012
  6. In article <>,
    Andreas Rutishauser <> wrote:

    > > I didn't get around to testing any other iPods, the 13" MBP, any MBA,
    > > nor the 30" stand-alone monitor.

    > Apple sells a 30" monitor where you live? They seem to have shrinked it
    > to 27" in swiss Apple Stores.

    I didn't test the monitor, so I didn't realize that the new monitors were
    only 27" and not the 30" of a former model.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 23, 2012
  7. In article <4fe566d7$0$49839$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > > Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of
    > > which way you turn it.

    > With my polarizing sunglasses, I can see the iphone 4 partially going
    > blank at a certain angle. But not all of the screen is affected.
    >
    > Would be interesting to find out why a retina display does not seem
    > polarised in any one direction as other LCD displays are.

    But the retina displays on the iPad and the MBP are unidirectionally
    polarized.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 23, 2012
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <js3fi8$f7o$>, Don Bruder <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > > You may recall that about two months ago I mentioned that my iPad's
    > > > screen
    > > > is polarized so that when I look at it while wearing my polarized
    > > > sunglasses, the screen is blanked when held vertically.

    > > *EVERY* LCD in existence is polarized. It's a side-effect of how they
    > > function. The only question is which way you have to turn each one to
    > > get it to "go blank" or otherwise distort while wearing your particular
    > > pair of polarized shades.

    > Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of which
    > way you turn it. I was pointing that out as well as the orientations to
    > blank the screens of the other devices I mentioned. I was in no way
    > suggesting that those were the only LCD devices that are polarized.

    Polarized sunglasses are vertically polarized because the reflected
    'glare' from roadways and other objects tends to be mostly horizontally
    polarized. Perhaps with your iPhone retina display Apple is somehow
    using 'circular' polarization
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_polarization> a much more
    complicated phenomenon, but that's beyond the scope of my physic course
    recollection.

    --
    Republicans blaming Obama for the national debt are like an arsonist
    blaming the fire department for the fire.

    Fred Moore, Jun 23, 2012
  9. In article <-september.org>,
    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > Polarized sunglasses are vertically polarized because the reflected
    > 'glare' from roadways and other objects tends to be mostly horizontally
    > polarized. Perhaps with your iPhone retina display Apple is somehow
    > using 'circular' polarization

    That is a possibility. Next time I see a 3D movie, I'll check it out.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 23, 2012
  10. Michelle Steiner

    George Kerby Guest

    On 6/23/12 10:19 AM, in article
    -september.org, "Fred Moore"
    <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    >>> *EVERY* LCD in existence is polarized. It's a side-effect of how they
    >>> function. The only question is which way you have to turn each one to
    >>> get it to "go blank" or otherwise distort while wearing your particular
    >>> pair of polarized shades.

    >> Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of which
    >> way you turn it. I was pointing that out as well as the orientations to
    >> blank the screens of the other devices I mentioned. I was in no way
    >> suggesting that those were the only LCD devices that are polarized.

    > Polarized sunglasses are vertically polarized because the reflected
    > 'glare' from roadways and other objects tends to be mostly horizontally
    > polarized. Perhaps with your iPhone retina display Apple is somehow
    > using 'circular' polarization
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_polarization> a much more
    > complicated phenomenon, but that's beyond the scope of my physic course
    > recollection.

    Circular polarization is the only useful kind when metering light through a
    camera internally, like a DSLR. It doesn't skew the reading like linear
    does.

    George Kerby, Jun 23, 2012
  11. In article <CC0B8AE5.895AC%>,
    George Kerby <> wrote:

    > Circular polarization is the only useful kind when metering light
    > through a camera internally, like a DSLR. It doesn't skew the reading
    > like linear does.

    It's also used for 3D movies.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 23, 2012
  12. Michelle Steiner

    Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > You may recall that about two months ago I mentioned that my iPad's screen
    > is polarized so that when I look at it while wearing my polarized
    > sunglasses, the screen is blanked when held vertically.
    >
    > I did a bit of experimentation at the Apple Store. My iMac (mid 2006
    > model) blanks when I turn my head sideways, as does the new 15" (non
    > retina) MBP. The retina MBP is also polarized, but at a 45° angle. (So is
    > the LCD display on my Prius.) My iPod Nano (current generation) is
    > polarized when tilted about 15° from having the controls and connectors to
    > the sides.
    >
    > My iPhone, though, merely shows color artifacts regardless of orientation.
    >
    > I didn't get around to testing any other iPods, the 13" MBP, any MBA, nor
    > the 30" stand-alone monitor.

    Yes, well that is how polarized screens work. LCD Watches; some 3-D
    glasses - they are all polarized. Like many machines for credit cards
    and for debit cards. (Try wearing your polarized sunglasses while
    making a credit card purchase in WalMart some time! Fun!)

    So turn your head 45 degrees one way, and if the screen goes black, then
    turn 45 degrees the other way. Hey Presto - it works fine!

    Why not the iPhone? Does it really matter? You can make the problem go
    away by following the above guidelines...

    S.

    , Jun 28, 2012
  13. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Why not the iPhone? Does it really matter? You can make the problem go
    > away by following the above guidelines...

    I didn't say it was a problem; I was reporting the various ways that
    different devices were polarized. Some horizontal, some vertical, and some
    diagonal. And at least one (the iPhone) by some other method (maybe, as
    someone suggested, circular).

    That's all. Please don't read into it anything more than what was written.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 28, 2012
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Salmon Egg Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Why not the iPhone? Does it really matter? You can make the problem go
    > > away by following the above guidelines...

    > I didn't say it was a problem; I was reporting the various ways that
    > different devices were polarized. Some horizontal, some vertical, and some
    > diagonal. And at least one (the iPhone) by some other method (maybe, as
    > someone suggested, circular).
    >
    > That's all. Please don't read into it anything more than what was written.

    If you are willing to take a 50% light loss, the screen could be made to
    output circular polarization. In that case, rotation would not change
    the light through polarized sun glasses. It would not affect trouble
    from large viewing angles.

    In principle, it might be able to make a dye molecule that would give
    very large viewing angles but I do not know how to pick suitable
    candidates.

    --

    Sam

    Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

    Salmon Egg, Jun 29, 2012
  15. Michelle Steiner

    Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Why not the iPhone? Does it really matter? You can make the problem go
    > > away by following the above guidelines...

    > I didn't say it was a problem; I was reporting the various ways that
    > different devices were polarized. Some horizontal, some vertical, and some
    > diagonal. And at least one (the iPhone) by some other method (maybe, as
    > someone suggested, circular).
    >
    > That's all. Please don't read into it anything more than what was written.

    Right! Point taken.

    , Jul 1, 2012
  16. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2706722?start=0&tstart=0

    --
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -Samuel Clemens.

    Alan Browne, Jul 26, 2012
  17. Michelle Steiner

    John Young Guest

    In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > On 2012-06-23 03:12 , Andreas Rutishauser wrote:
    > > Salut Michelle
    > >
    > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I didn't get around to testing any other iPods, the 13" MBP, any MBA, nor
    > >> the 30" stand-alone monitor.

    > > Apple sells a 30" monitor where you live? They seem to have shrinked it
    > > to 27" in swiss Apple Stores.

    > https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2706722?start=0&tstart=0

    Where I live Apple sold a 30" monitor for quite a long time. Yes for
    some reason "They seem to have shrinked it
    to 27" I had two and they just did not last very long this may be the
    reason for the shrinking. I now use a Dell 30" monitor that seems to do
    just as well as the Apple with out the shot lifespan.

    John Young, Jul 26, 2012