Leaked Xenon / Xbox 2 hardware overview

Discussion in 'ATI' started by R420, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. R420

    R420 Guest

    http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13470

    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=231928

    Xenon Hardware Overview

    By Pete Isensee, Development Lead, Xbox Advanced Technology Group

    This documentation is an early release of the final documentation,
    which may be changed substantially prior to final commercial release,
    and is confidential and proprietary information of MS Corporation. It
    is disclosed pursuant to a nondisclosure agreement between the
    recipient and MS.
    "Xenon" is the code name for the successor to the Xbox® game console
    from MS. Xenon is expected to launch in 2005. This white paper is
    designed to provide a brief overview of the primary hardware features
    of the console from a game developer's standpoint.

    Caveats
    In some cases, sizes, speeds, and other details of the Xenon console
    have not been finalized. Values not yet finalized are identified with
    a "+" sign, indicating that the numbers may be larger than indicated
    here. At the time of this writing, the final console is many months
    from entering production. Based on our experience with Xbox, it's
    likely that some of this information will change slightly for the
    final console.

    For additional information on various hardware components, see the
    other relevant white papers.

    Hardware Goals
    Xenon was designed with the following goals in mind:

    •Focus on innovation in silicon, particularly features that game
    developers need. Although all Xenon hardware components are
    technologically advanced, the hardware engineering effort has
    concentrated on digital performance in the CPU and GPU.

    •Maximize general purpose processing performance rather than
    fixed-function hardware. This focus on general purpose processing puts
    the power into the Xenon software libraries and tools. Rather than
    being hamstrung by particular hardware designs, software libraries can
    support the latest and most efficient techniques.

    •Eliminate the performance issues of the past. On Xbox, the primary
    bottlenecks were memory and CPU bandwidth. Xenon does not have these
    limitations.

    Basic Hardware Specifications

    Xenon is powered by a 3.5+ GHz IBM PowerPC processor and a 500+ MHz
    ATI graphics processor. Xenon has 256+ MB of unified memory. Xenon
    runs a custom operating system based on MS® Windows NT®, similar to
    the Xbox operating system. The graphics interface is a superset of MS®
    Direct3D® version 9.0.
    CPU

    The Xenon CPU is a custom processor based on PowerPC technology. The
    CPU includes three independent processors (cores) on a single die.
    Each core runs at 3.5+ GHz. The Xenon CPU can issue two instructions
    per clock cycle per core. At peak performance, Xenon can issue 21
    billion instructions per second.

    The Xenon CPU was designed by IBM in close consultation with the Xbox
    team, leading to a number of revolutionary additions, including a dot
    product instruction for extremely fast vector math and custom security
    features built directly into the silicon to prevent piracy and
    hacking.

    Each core has two symmetric hardware threads (SMT), for a total of six
    hardware threads available to games. Not only does the Xenon CPU
    include the standard set of PowerPC integer and floating-point
    registers (one set per hardware thread), the Xenon CPU also includes
    128 vector (VMX) registers per hardware thread. This astounding number
    of registers can drastically improve the speed of common mathematical
    operations.

    Each of the three cores includes a 32-KB L1 instruction cache and a
    32-KB L1 data cache. The three cores share a 1-MB L2 cache. The L2
    cache can be locked down in segments to improve performance. The L2
    cache also has the very unusual feature of being directly readable
    from the GPU, which allows the GPU to consume geometry and texture
    data from L2 and main memory simultaneously.
    Xenon CPU instructions are exposed to games through compiler
    intrinsics, allowing developers to access the power of the chip using
    C language notation.
    GPU

    The Xenon GPU is a custom 500+ MHz graphics processor from ATI. The
    shader core has 48 Arithmetic Logic Units (ALUs) that can execute 64
    simultaneous threads on groups of 64 vertices or pixels. ALUs are
    automatically and dynamically assigned to either pixel or vertex
    processing depending on load. The ALUs can each perform one vector and
    one scalar operation per clock cycle, for a total of 96 shader
    operations per clock cycle. Texture loads can be done in parallel to
    ALU operations. At peak performance, the GPU can issue 48 billion
    shader operations per second.

    The GPU has a peak pixel fill rate of 4+ gigapixels/sec (16
    gigasamples/sec with 4× antialiasing). The peak vertex rate is 500+
    million vertices/sec. The peak triangle rate is 500+ million
    triangles/sec. The interesting point about all of these values is that
    they're not just theoretical—they are attainable with nontrivial
    shaders.

    Xenon is designed for high-definition output. Included directly on the
    GPU die is 10+ MB of fast embedded dynamic RAM (EDRAM). A 720p frame
    buffer fits very nicely here. Larger frame buffers are also possible
    because of hardware-accelerated partitioning and predicated rendering
    that has little cost other than additional vertex processing. Along
    with the extremely fast EDRAM, the GPU also includes hardware
    instructions for alpha blending, z-test, and antialiasing.

    The Xenon graphics architecture is a unique design that implements a
    superset of Direct3D version 9.0. It includes a number of important
    extensions, including additional compressed texture formats and a
    flexible tessellation engine. Xenon not only supports high-level
    shading language (HLSL) model 3.0 for vertex and pixel shaders but
    also includes advanced shader features well beyond model 3.0. For
    instance, shaders use 32-bit IEEE floating-point math throughout.
    Vertex shaders can fetch from textures, and pixel shaders can fetch
    from vertex streams. Xenon shaders also have the unique ability to
    directly access main memory, allowing techniques that have never
    before been possible.

    As with Xbox, Xenon will support precompiled push buffers ("command
    buffers" in Xenon terminology), but to a much greater extent than the
    Xbox console does. The Xbox team is exposing and documenting the
    command buffer format so that games are able to harness the GPU much
    more effectively.

    In addition to an extremely powerful GPU, Xenon also includes a very
    high-quality resize filter. This filter allows consumers to choose
    whatever output mode they desire. Xenon automatically scales the
    game's output buffer to the consumer-chosen resolution.

    Memory and Bandwidth
    Xenon has 256+ MB of unified memory, equally accessible to both the
    GPU and CPU. The main memory controller resides on the GPU (the same
    as in the Xbox architecture). It has 22.4+ GB/sec aggregate bandwidth
    to RAM, distributed between reads and writes. Aggregate means that the
    bandwidth may be used for all reading or all writing or any
    combination of the two. Translated into game performance, the GPU can
    consume a 512×512×32-bpp texture in only 47 microseconds.

    The front side bus (FSB) bandwidth peak is 10.8 GB/sec for reads and
    10.8 GB/sec for writes, over 20 times faster than for Xbox. Note that
    the 22.4+ GB/sec main memory bandwidth is shared between the CPU and
    GPU. If, for example, the CPU is using 2 GB/sec for reading and 1
    GB/sec for writing on the FSB, the GPU has 19.4+ GB/sec available for
    accessing RAM.

    Eight pixels (where each pixel is color plus z = 8 bytes) can be sent
    to the EDRAM every GPU clock cycle, for an EDRAM write bandwidth of 32
    GB/sec. Each of these pixels can be expanded through multisampling to
    4 samples, for up to 32 multisampled pixel samples per clock cycle.
    With alpha blending, z-test, and z-write enabled, this is equivalent
    to having 256 GB/sec of effective bandwidth! The important thing is
    that frame buffer bandwidth will never slow down the Xenon GPU.

    Audio
    The Xenon CPU is a superb processor for audio, particularly with its
    massive mathematical horsepower and vector register set. The Xenon CPU
    can process and encode hundreds of audio channels with sophisticated
    per-voice and global effects, all while using a fraction of the power
    of a single CPU core.

    The Xenon system south bridge also contains a key hardware component
    for audio—XMA decompression. XMA is the native Xenon compressed audio
    format, based on the WMA Pro architecture. XMA provides sound quality
    higher than ADPCM at even better compression ratios, typically
    6:1–12:1. The south bridge contains a full silicon implementation of
    the XMA decompression algorithm, including support for multichannel
    XMA sources. XMA is processed by the south bridge into standard PCM
    format in RAM. All other sound processing (sample rate conversion,
    filtering, effects, mixing, and multispeaker encoding) happens on the
    Xenon CPU.

    The lowest-level Xenon audio software layer is XAudio, a new API
    designed for optimal digital signal processing. The Xbox Audio
    Creation Tool (XACT) API from Xbox is also supported, along with new
    features such as conditional events, improved parameter control, and a
    more flexible 3D audio model.
    Input/Output

    As with Xbox, Xenon is designed to be a multiplayer console. It has
    built-in networking support including an Ethernet 10/100-BaseT port.
    It supports up to four controllers. From an audio/video standpoint,
    Xenon will support all the same formats as Xbox, including multiple
    high-definition formats up through 1080i, plus VGA output.

    In order to provide greater flexibility and support a wider variety of
    attached devices, the Xenon console includes standard USB 2.0 ports.
    This feature allows the console to potentially host storage devices,
    cameras, microphones, and other devices.

    Storage
    The Xenon console is designed around a larger world view of storage
    than Xbox was. Games will have access to a variety of storage devices,
    including connected devices (memory units, USB storage) and remote
    devices (networked PCs, Xbox Live™). At the time of this writing, the
    decision to include a built-in hard disk in every Xenon console has
    not been made. If a hard disk is not included in every console, it
    will certainly be available as an integrated add-on component.

    Xenon supports up to two attached memory units (MUs). MUs are
    connected directly to the console, not to controllers as on Xbox. The
    initial size of the MUs is 64 MB, although larger MUs may be available
    in the future. MU throughput is expected to be around 8 MB/sec for
    reads and 1 MB/sec for writes.

    The Xenon game disc drive is a 12× DVD, with an expected outer edge
    throughput of 16+ MB/sec. Latency is expected to be in the
    neighborhood of 100 ms. The media format will be similar to Xbox, with
    approximately 6 GB of usable space on the disk. As on Xbox, media will
    be stored on a single side in two 3 GB layers.

    Industrial Design
    The Xenon industrial design process is well under way, but the final
    look of the box has not been determined. The Xenon console will be
    smaller than the Xbox console.
    The standard Xenon controller will have a look and feel similar to the
    Xbox controller. The primary changes are the removal of the Black and
    White buttons and the addition of shoulder buttons. The triggers,
    thumbsticks, D-pad, and primary buttons are essentially unchanged. The
    controller will support vibration.

    Xenon Development Kit
    The Xenon development environment follows the same model as for Xbox.
    Game development occurs on the PC. The resulting executable image is
    loaded by the Xenon development kit and remotely debugged on the PC.
    MS® Visual Studio® version 7.1 continues as the development
    environment for Xenon.

    The Xenon compiler is based on a custom PowerPC back end and the
    latest MS® Visual C++® front end. The back end uses technology
    developed at MS for Windows NT on PowerPC. The Xenon software group
    includes a dedicated team of compiler engineers updating the compiler
    to support Xenon-specific CPU extensions. This team is also heavily
    focused on optimization work.
    The Xenon development kit will include accurate DVD emulation
    technology to allow developers to very precisely gauge the effects of
    the retail console disc drive.

    Miscellaneous Xenon Hardware Notes

    Some additional notes:
    •Xenon is a big-endian system. Both the CPU and GPU process memory in
    big-endian mode. Games ported from little-endian systems such as the
    Xbox or PC need to account for this in their game asset pipeline.

    •Tapping into the power of the CPU is a daunting task. Writing
    multithreaded game engines is not trivial. Xenon system software is
    designed to take advantage of this processing power wherever possible.
    The Xbox Advanced Technology Group (ATG) is also exploring a variety
    of techniques for offloading graphics work to the CPU.

    •People often ask if Xenon can be backward compatible with Xbox.
    Although the architecture of the two consoles is quite different,
    Xenon has the processing power to emulate Xbox. Whether Xenon will be
    backward compatible involves a variety of factors, not the least of
    which is the massive development and testing effort required to allow
    Xbox games run on Xenon.

    R420, Jun 23, 2004

  2. R420

    Grumble Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, R420 wrote:

    > Xenon is powered by a 3.5+ GHz IBM PowerPC processor and a 500+ MHz
    > ATI graphics processor.

    R420,

    Why do you post to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips?

    PowerPC processors are off-topic. As far as I can tell, they were never
    used inside IBM PC compatible systems.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible

    <quote>
    IBM PC compatible refers to a class of computers which make up the vast
    majority of smaller computers (microcomputers) on the market today. They
    are based (without IBM's participation) on the original IBM PC. They use
    the Intel x86 architecture and are capable of using interchangeable
    commodity hardware.
    </quote>

    [ Followup-To set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips ]

    --
    Regards, Grumble

    Grumble, Jun 23, 2004

  3. R420

    skidpro Guest

    no offence mate, but if I want and I have google xbox news alerts...no need
    to post this on NGs...

    skidz

    skidpro, Jun 23, 2004
  4. R420

    dementia Guest

    "skidpro" <> wrote in message
    > no offence mate, but if I want and I have google xbox news alerts...no

    need
    > to post this on NGs...

    good luck trying to convince R420 to stop

    dementia, Jun 23, 2004
  5. R420

    chrisv Guest

    "skidpro" <> top posted:

    >no offence mate, but if I want and I have google xbox news alerts...no need
    >to post this on NGs...
    >
    >skidz

    Good thing you kept the trailing 270 lines, top poster.

    chrisv, Jun 23, 2004
  6. R420

    R420 Guest

    Grumble <> wrote in message news:<cbbd40$a5c$>...
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, R420 wrote:
    >
    > > Xenon is powered by a 3.5+ GHz IBM PowerPC processor and a 500+ MHz
    > > ATI graphics processor.

    > R420,
    >
    > Why do you post to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips?
    >
    > PowerPC processors are off-topic. As far as I can tell, they were never
    > used inside IBM PC compatible systems.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible
    >
    > <quote>
    > IBM PC compatible refers to a class of computers which make up the vast
    > majority of smaller computers (microcomputers) on the market today. They
    > are based (without IBM's participation) on the original IBM PC. They use
    > the Intel x86 architecture and are capable of using interchangeable
    > commodity hardware.
    > </quote>
    >
    > [ Followup-To set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips ]

    Ok, I though PowerPC would be very relavant to the IBM chips group.
    Yet I see alot of PowerPC discussion anyway, aside from what I've
    posted...

    R420, Jun 23, 2004
  7. R420

    Bagpuss Guest

    On 22 Jun 2004 23:54:24 -0700, (R420) wrote:

    Notice all the numbers are + as a cop out.

    The last I heard the processor was to be a 1.5 GHz unit, but that was
    about 6 months ago. Much more than that and you have one hell of a
    production cost for what is still a relatively low production run
    (compared to say an off the shelf AMD or P IV processor). The Power PC
    chip isn't AFAIK anywhere near 3.5Ghz yet and so you are talking about
    the latest cutting edge technology in, what is in effect, a budget
    device, which it will have to be to sell.

    Why not try and put your own bit of opinion in a posting for once
    rather than just being a gormless form posting copier.
    --
    GSX600F - Matilda the cracked teapot, gaffer tape included
    Wipe up catpoo to reply

    Wipe off cat poo to reply

    Bagpuss, Jun 23, 2004
  8. R420

    Grumble Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, R420 wrote:

    > Grumble wrote...
    >
    >> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, R420 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Xenon is powered by a 3.5+ GHz IBM PowerPC processor [...]

    >> R420,
    >>
    >> Why do you post to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips?
    >>
    >> PowerPC processors are off-topic. As far as I can tell, they were
    >> never used inside IBM PC compatible systems.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> IBM PC compatible refers to a class of computers which make
    >> up the vast majority of smaller computers (microcomputers) on the
    >> market today. They are based (without IBM's participation) on the
    >> original IBM PC. They use the Intel x86 architecture and are
    >> capable of using interchangeable commodity hardware.
    >> </quote>

    > OK, I thought PowerPC would be very relevant to the IBM chips group.

    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips is most definitely _not_ the "IBM chips"
    group.

    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips deals with the hardware chips used inside
    "IBM PC compatible" computer systems. In other words,
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips mostly deals with x86-compatible CPUs.

    Check http://sandpile.org/ to see which processors are topical here.

    Kindly refrain from posting PowerPC articles to this group.

    Grumble, Jun 24, 2004
  9. R420

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 23 Jun 2004
    10:58:32 -0700, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.xbox,
    yawatina tan reek esk (R420) fornis do marikano es bono
    tan el:

    >Ok, I though PowerPC would be very relavant to the IBM chips group.
    >Yet I see alot of PowerPC discussion anyway, aside from what I've
    >posted...

    And STOP posting to the uk.* groups!

    deKay
    --