    to find out if its working, the Mixer is not muted.

    Should the line in loop the sound to the line out..?

    Thanks

    Karen Parker, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Karen  Parker

    D.R. Guest

    "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Friend has a Audigy 1 and he wishes to use the Line, but so far can't seem
    > to find out if its working, the Mixer is not muted.

    Make sure that the device feeding the line-in (eg cd player, pre-amp, mixer,
    etc) is actually sending a line-level signal. If you are only using a
    microphone, then use the microphone input because the SB amplifies that input.
    Sending a line-level input into the microphone socket will produce unacceptable
    noise

    > Should the line in loop the sound to the line out..?

    Nope. The line out is to feed your amplified speakers. The line in is to receive
    a line-level input. Looping would produce crazy feedback I am guessing and may
    damage the card.

    D.R.

    D.R., Sep 15, 2004

  3. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:48:16 +1200, "D.R." <D.R. @ NZ> wrote:

    >"Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Friend has a Audigy 1 and he wishes to use the Line, but so far can't seem
    >> to find out if its working, the Mixer is not muted.

    >Make sure that the device feeding the line-in (eg cd player, pre-amp, mixer,
    >etc) is actually sending a line-level signal. If you are only using a
    >microphone, then use the microphone input because the SB amplifies that input.
    >Sending a line-level input into the microphone socket will produce unacceptable
    >noise
    >
    >> Should the line in loop the sound to the line out..?

    >Nope. The line out is to feed your amplified speakers. The line in is to receive
    >a line-level input. Looping would produce crazy feedback I am guessing and may
    >damage the card.
    >
    >D.R.

    Thanks

    But how does one monitor what is going into the Line IN, and what level..?

    Karen Parker, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Karen  Parker

    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:48:16 +1200, "D.R." <D.R. @ NZ> wrote:
    >

    > >"Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> Friend has a Audigy 1 and he wishes to use the Line, but so far can't

    seem
    > >> to find out if its working, the Mixer is not muted.

    > >Make sure that the device feeding the line-in (eg cd player, pre-amp, mixer,
    > >etc) is actually sending a line-level signal. If you are only using a
    > >microphone, then use the microphone input because the SB amplifies that

    input.
    > >Sending a line-level input into the microphone socket will produce

    unacceptable
    > >noise
    > >
    > >> Should the line in loop the sound to the line out..?

    > >Nope. The line out is to feed your amplified speakers. The line in is to

    receive
    > >a line-level input. Looping would produce crazy feedback I am guessing and

    may
    > >damage the card.
    > >
    > >D.R.
    > >

    > Thanks
    >

    > But how does one monitor what is going into the Line IN, and what level..?

    The best way is with a mixer/pre-amp in between. I plug my guitar effects,
    microphone, etc into a separate mixer/pre-amp. Plug headphones into the mixer
    and set the levels so that they almost get into the red on the meter. I set the
    output of the mixer the same, and plug into the soundcard's line-in. Anything
    going into the line-in should come out the speakers that you have plugged into
    the soundcard providing the Line-in is not muted, the volume slider on the
    soundcard mixer is high enough, the input is signal is at line level (already
    ensured this with my mixer) and that your speakers and other soundcard levels
    are working fine.

    D.R.

    D.R., Sep 16, 2004