    Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    Charliec

    , Apr 2, 2011

  2. <> wrote:
    > I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    > the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect
    > my Laptop as needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP,
    > with all the updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link
    > indicates that the connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the
    > Router for a couple of minutes, reconnect the power and the
    > connection is restored.
    >
    > Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    > there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    > Charliec

    Check the modem (i.e. "network adapter") by connecting it directly to
    one of the PCs before you assume the router is going. The modem is a
    complex piece of equipment, and in my (limited) experience, the modem
    is more likely to fail than a wired router. If you still get dropped connections
    with the direct modem-to-PC hookup, have the ISP (or DSL provider)
    check the line before you assume the modem is going.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Apr 2, 2011

  3. Guest

    >On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 22:50:45 -0700, "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote:
    >> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    >> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect
    >> my Laptop as needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP,
    >> with all the updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link
    >> indicates that the connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the
    >> Router for a couple of minutes, reconnect the power and the
    >> connection is restored.
    >>
    >> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    >> there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    >> Charliec

    > Check the modem (i.e. "network adapter") by connecting it directly to
    >one of the PCs before you assume the router is going. The modem is a
    >complex piece of equipment, and in my (limited) experience, the modem
    >is more likely to fail than a wired router. If you still get dropped connections
    >with the direct modem-to-PC hookup, have the ISP (or DSL provider)
    >check the line before you assume the modem is going.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    Ok, thanks Tim.
    Charliec

    , Apr 2, 2011
  4. On 4/2/2011 12:03 AM, wrote:
    > I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    > the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
    > needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
    > updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
    > connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
    > of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
    >
    > Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    > there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    > Charliec

    this is the way that the linksys routers commonly fail - intermittently
    dropping the internet connection or the connections the the clients
    (wireless or wired).
    As you have described it, power-cycling just the linksys to solve the
    problem, says quite clearly that the problem is indeed with the router
    and no further investigation is necessary (unless you are also
    power-cycling the modem and the pcs as well).
    the routers are so cheap these days, particularly if you don't need the
    more modern ones that support wireless n, that you probably should just
    get a new router. but if you want to invest some time in trying to
    extend the life of the old linksys befsr41 then you could try updating
    the firmware in the router as a possible solution (but it may not help).
    visit linksys.com and go to the product page to download the latest
    firmware and installation instructions. note the complete model number
    found on the bottom of the router and be sensitive to the version number
    that appears after the model number you have mentioned.
    good luck.

    Christopher Muto, Apr 2, 2011
  5. Cmplx80 Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    > the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
    > needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
    > updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
    > connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
    > of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
    >
    > Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    > there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    > Charliec

    At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
    problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
    on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
    the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.

    Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
    Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.

    Frank

    Cmplx80, Apr 2, 2011
  6. RnR Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:03:36 -0700, wrote:

    >I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    >the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
    >needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
    >updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
    >connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
    >of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
    >
    >Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    >there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >
    >Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    >Charliec

    To me, it sounds like a router problem but I won't swear to it.
    Troubleshooting could be a pain and I think the easiest way is to pick
    up a cheap router from Walmart (assuming you can't borrow one
    elsewhere and you have a Walmart nearby) or Newegg.com and see if that
    fixes the problem. If not, return the new router. If it does,
    problem solved.

    RnR, Apr 2, 2011
  7. RnR Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:32:21 -0500, Cmplx80 <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    >> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
    >> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
    >> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
    >> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
    >> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
    >>
    >> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    >> there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    >> Charliec

    >At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
    >problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
    >on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
    >the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
    >
    >Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
    >Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
    >
    >Frank

    Yeah but he said it was working for years okay. Why would the
    firmware now be a problem unless the updates are conflicting with the
    firmware??? Of course I see no harm in flashing the firmware whether
    it solves the problem or not.

    RnR, Apr 2, 2011
  8. Cmplx80 Guest

    RnR wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:32:21 -0500, Cmplx80 <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    >>> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
    >>> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
    >>> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
    >>> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
    >>> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
    >>>
    >>> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    >>> there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    >>> Charliec

    >> At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
    >> problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
    >> on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
    >> the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
    >>
    >> Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
    >> Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
    >>
    >> Frank

    > Yeah but he said it was working for years okay. Why would the
    > firmware now be a problem unless the updates are conflicting with the
    > firmware??? Of course I see no harm in flashing the firmware whether
    > it solves the problem or not.

    There could be a firmware timing issue or a DHCP issue that was sliding
    by until an ISP fixed their problem. Often, the manufacturer has
    discovered problems that are not yet showing up in userville. When
    things are free it makes sense to try it--like free firmware upgrades,
    for example. The procedure is to go to the site, read the release notes,
    and determine if the documented fixes pertain to your problem. Me? I get
    the latest and flash it. If it screws something up, I back down to the
    previous Version. Works for me.

    Frank

    Cmplx80, Apr 3, 2011
  9. RnR Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 18:55:34 -0500, Cmplx80 <> wrote:

    >RnR wrote:

    >>> At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
    >>> problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
    >>> on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
    >>> the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
    >>>
    >>> Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
    >>> Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> Yeah but he said it was working for years okay. Why would the
    >> firmware now be a problem unless the updates are conflicting with the
    >> firmware??? Of course I see no harm in flashing the firmware whether
    >> it solves the problem or not.

    >There could be a firmware timing issue or a DHCP issue that was sliding
    >by until an ISP fixed their problem. Often, the manufacturer has
    >discovered problems that are not yet showing up in userville. When
    >things are free it makes sense to try it--like free firmware upgrades,
    >for example. The procedure is to go to the site, read the release notes,
    >and determine if the documented fixes pertain to your problem. Me? I get
    >the latest and flash it. If it screws something up, I back down to the
    >previous Version. Works for me.
    >
    >Frank

    I gotcha. Years ago flashing was high risk but nowadays, usually
    not. I agree, if you can go backwards for firmware, why not. I agree
    with you... it's worth the shot before replacing the router.

    RnR, Apr 3, 2011
  10. "RnR" wrote:
    > Cmplx80 wrote:
    >
    >>RnR wrote:

    >>> Yeah but he said it was working for years okay. Why would the
    >>> firmware now be a problem unless the updates are conflicting with the
    >>> firmware??? Of course I see no harm in flashing the firmware whether
    >>> it solves the problem or not.

    >>There could be a firmware timing issue or a DHCP issue that was sliding
    >>by until an ISP fixed their problem. Often, the manufacturer has
    >>discovered problems that are not yet showing up in userville. When
    >>things are free it makes sense to try it--like free firmware upgrades,
    >>for example. The procedure is to go to the site, read the release notes,
    >>and determine if the documented fixes pertain to your problem. Me? I get
    >>the latest and flash it. If it screws something up, I back down to the
    >>previous Version. Works for me.
    >>
    >>Frank

    > I gotcha. Years ago flashing was high risk but nowadays, usually
    > not. I agree, if you can go backwards for firmware, why not. I agree
    > with you... it's worth the shot before replacing the router.

    Flashing is not high risk, now? It used to be that "bricking" a device
    undergoing flashing was always a possibility. How has that changed?

    I'd check with the ISP to see if there has been other users reporting
    router problems, and I'd check with the router's manufactuer to see what
    improvement was enabled by their firmware upgrade. And, like I said
    before, eliminate the modem as the source of the problem before assuming
    that the router is faulty.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Apr 3, 2011
  11. RnR Guest

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 09:19:57 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
    <> wrote:

    >"RnR" wrote:
    >> Cmplx80 wrote:

    >>>There could be a firmware timing issue or a DHCP issue that was sliding
    >>>by until an ISP fixed their problem. Often, the manufacturer has
    >>>discovered problems that are not yet showing up in userville. When
    >>>things are free it makes sense to try it--like free firmware upgrades,
    >>>for example. The procedure is to go to the site, read the release notes,
    >>>and determine if the documented fixes pertain to your problem. Me? I get
    >>>the latest and flash it. If it screws something up, I back down to the
    >>>previous Version. Works for me.
    >>>
    >>>Frank

    >> I gotcha. Years ago flashing was high risk but nowadays, usually
    >> not. I agree, if you can go backwards for firmware, why not. I agree
    >> with you... it's worth the shot before replacing the router.

    > Flashing is not high risk, now? It used to be that "bricking" a device
    >undergoing flashing was always a possibility. How has that changed?
    >
    > I'd check with the ISP to see if there has been other users reporting
    >router problems, and I'd check with the router's manufactuer to see what
    >improvement was enabled by their firmware upgrade. And, like I said
    >before, eliminate the modem as the source of the problem before assuming
    >that the router is faulty.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    Risk, yes.....High risk, no (IMO). Today there is the possibility
    reflashing a bad flash.

    RnR, Apr 3, 2011
  12. Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:28:49 -0400, Christopher Muto <> wrote:

    >On 4/2/2011 12:03 AM, wrote:
    >> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    >> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
    >> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
    >> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
    >> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
    >> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
    >>
    >> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    >> there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    >> Charliec

    >this is the way that the linksys routers commonly fail - intermittently
    >dropping the internet connection or the connections the the clients
    >(wireless or wired).
    >As you have described it, power-cycling just the linksys to solve the
    >problem, says quite clearly that the problem is indeed with the router
    >and no further investigation is necessary (unless you are also
    >power-cycling the modem and the pcs as well).
    >the routers are so cheap these days, particularly if you don't need the
    >more modern ones that support wireless n, that you probably should just
    >get a new router. but if you want to invest some time in trying to
    >extend the life of the old linksys befsr41 then you could try updating
    >the firmware in the router as a possible solution (but it may not help).
    > visit linksys.com and go to the product page to download the latest
    >firmware and installation instructions. note the complete model number
    >found on the bottom of the router and be sensitive to the version number
    >that appears after the model number you have mentioned.
    >good luck.

    Thanks, Christopher,

    In most, if not all, cases, powering down the router and waiting a minute or two and
    re-powering it, corrects the problem. I will take a look at their webpage and see what
    they have for this router.

    Charliec

    , Apr 3, 2011
  13. Guest

    >On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:32:21 -0500, Cmplx80 <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    >> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
    >> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
    >> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
    >> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
    >> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
    >>
    >> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    >> there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    >> Charliec

    >At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
    >problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
    >on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
    >the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
    >
    >Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
    >Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
    >
    >Frank

    The router appears to be v2 - and the CD that came with it supports that.
    Charliec

    , Apr 3, 2011
  14. Cmplx80 Guest

    wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:32:21 -0500, Cmplx80 <> wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >>> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    >>> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
    >>> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
    >>> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
    >>> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
    >>> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
    >>>
    >>> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    >>> there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    >>> Charliec

    >> At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
    >> problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
    >> on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
    >> the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
    >>
    >> Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
    >> Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
    >>
    >> Frank

    > The router appears to be v2 - and the CD that came with it supports that.
    > Charliec

    The latest firmware version for v2.00 is 1.46.2. If you bring up the
    control screen for your router (probably addr: 168.192.1.1), the
    firmware version should be shown in small font in the upper right corner
    of page. I don't have the BEFSR41 plugged in, but looking at the Linksys
    wireless, that's the setup. Your CD/Manual and the linksys site will
    have details.

    Frank

    Cmplx80, Apr 3, 2011
  15. Cmplx80 Guest

    wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:32:21 -0500, Cmplx80 <> wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >>> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
    >>> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
    >>> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
    >>> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
    >>> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
    >>> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
    >>>
    >>> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
    >>> there some other possible reason for this situation.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    >>> Charliec

    >> At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
    >> problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
    >> on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
    >> the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
    >>
    >> Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
    >> Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
    >>
    >> Frank

    > The router appears to be v2 - and the CD that came with it supports that.
    > Charliec

    Sorry, gave you wrong address for router web page access. Should be:
    192.168.1.1 (default).

    Frank

    Cmplx80, Apr 3, 2011
  16. Guest

    >On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 15:45:29 -0500, Cmplx80 <> wrote:

    > wrote:

    >>> At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
    >>> problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
    >>> on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
    >>> the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
    >>>
    >>> Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
    >>> Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> The router appears to be v2 - and the CD that came with it supports that.
    >> Charliec

    >Sorry, gave you wrong address for router web page access. Should be:
    >192.168.1.1 (default).
    >
    >Frank

    Thanks - I will take a look.
    charliec

    , Apr 3, 2011
  17. Guest

    >On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 15:45:29 -0500, Cmplx80 <> wrote:

    > wrote:

    >>> At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
    >>> problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
    >>> on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
    >>> the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
    >>>
    >>> Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
    >>> Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> The router appears to be v2 - and the CD that came with it supports that.
    >> Charliec

    >Sorry, gave you wrong address for router web page access. Should be:
    >192.168.1.1 (default).
    >
    >Frank

    Ok, Frank,
    I went to the site - signed in and see my firmware version as 1.04.06, 12/16/2005 - but,
    could confirm anywhere on there that my router version is v2. Where and how can I confirm
    that before exploring updating the firmware. Want to ensure I have the correct router
    version number.

    Thanks
    charliec

    , Apr 3, 2011
  18. Pen Guest

    On 4/3/2011 5:59 PM, wrote:

    >>> The router appears to be v2 - and the CD that came with it supports that.
    >>> Charliec

    >> Sorry, gave you wrong address for router web page access. Should be:
    >> 192.168.1.1 (default).
    >>
    >> Frank

    > Ok, Frank,
    > I went to the site - signed in and see my firmware version as 1.04.06, 12/16/2005 - but,
    > could confirm anywhere on there that my router version is v2. Where and how can I confirm
    > that before exploring updating the firmware. Want to ensure I have the correct router
    > version number.
    >
    > Thanks
    > charliec

    The version number on all Linksys Routers is on the label on
    the underside which has the serial number on it.

    Pen, Apr 3, 2011
  19. Cmplx80 Guest

    wrote:

    >>> The router appears to be v2 - and the CD that came with it supports that.
    >>> Charliec

    >> Sorry, gave you wrong address for router web page access. Should be:
    >> 192.168.1.1 (default).
    >>
    >> Frank

    > Ok, Frank,
    > I went to the site - signed in and see my firmware version as 1.04.06, 12/16/2005 - but,
    > could confirm anywhere on there that my router version is v2. Where and how can I confirm
    > that before exploring updating the firmware. Want to ensure I have the correct router
    > version number.
    >
    > Thanks
    > charliec

    As Penn said, the Version is on a label on the bottom of the router. It
    might be on same label with Model no. If no version # is found, then
    it's Version 1.00. When you say "signed in" I'm assuming you mean
    locally by typing the IP addr into the URL address of your browser and
    bringing up the router web page.

    If your router is Ver 2.00, that firmware version doesn't make sense,
    since the latest *firmware* version shown at web site for box Ver 2.00
    is (firmware) Ver 1.46.2, 08/30/2004. Check and let us know.

    Frank

    Cmplx80, Apr 4, 2011
  20. Guest

    >On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:05:52 -0400, Pen <> wrote:

    >On 4/3/2011 5:59 PM, wrote:

    >>> Sorry, gave you wrong address for router web page access. Should be:
    >>> 192.168.1.1 (default).
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> Ok, Frank,
    >> I went to the site - signed in and see my firmware version as 1.04.06, 12/16/2005 - but,
    >> could confirm anywhere on there that my router version is v2. Where and how can I confirm
    >> that before exploring updating the firmware. Want to ensure I have the correct router
    >> version number.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> charliec

    >The version number on all Linksys Routers is on the label on
    >the underside which has the serial number on it.

    Pen,
    Thank you so much. I looked at the back of the router and it says version 4.1. I
    remember I had to replace the router a few years ago and the information online is
    probably my first router. So, I should look at the firmware upgrades for v4.1, but is
    there any way, outside the website to test the router for what version of firmware is
    currently installed?
    Would appreciate any advice!
    charliec

    , Apr 4, 2011