Linux - Best Distro

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Patrick Finnegan, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. Which Linux distro has the best support for the IBM Thinkpad A31p?

    Thanks in advance.

    Patrick Finnegan, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Patrick Finnegan

    noname Guest

    Patrick Finnegan wrote:
    > Which Linux distro has the best support for the IBM Thinkpad A31p?

    There is no best Linux distro imho. Most recent well known proven
    distributions (eg SuSE, Redhat etc) are fine. At almost any modern
    laptop you have to tweak and finetune to your needs.
    S.

    noname, Mar 14, 2005

  3. noname <> wrote in message news:<423500ca$0$28988$4all.nl>...
    > Patrick Finnegan wrote:
    > > Which Linux distro has the best support for the IBM Thinkpad A31p?
    > >

    > There is no best Linux distro imho. Most recent well known proven
    > distributions (eg SuSE, Redhat etc) are fine. At almost any modern
    > laptop you have to tweak and finetune to your needs.
    > S.

    Thanks for the replies. Will try Mandake and Suse in dual boot config.

    Patrick Finnegan, Mar 14, 2005
  4. Patrick Finnegan wrote:
    > Which Linux distro has the best support for the IBM Thinkpad A31p?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    As already stated, this is largely a matter of opinion. If you're new
    to Linux, I suggest either Red Hat (Fedora Core), Mandrake, or Suse. If
    you're familiar with BSD, you'll like Gentoo (it uses the ports system).
    Lastly Debian (and its derivatives like Ubuntu) is good if you want to
    install something once and never have to worry about updates.

    With that said, I ran Fedora Core 2 as my only OS for the last year of
    my T21's life without any problems. I currently have FC3 on my new
    laptop (a Dell D610) and am very happy. I plan to install Gentoo on it
    later (using my T21's HDD).

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 16, 2005