    Linux does not find the network connection that is built into the board.
    Does anyone know of a fix for this? The CPU is a 2.7GHz Athlon.

    Thanks, Dave

    David Zipoy, Dec 23, 2004

  2. David Zipoy

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:57:34 -0500, David Zipoy wrote:

    > I have RedHat Linux 8.0 running on an Abit VA10 v1.3 machine. The problem is
    > Linux does not find the network connection that is built into the board.
    > Does anyone know of a fix for this? The CPU is a 2.7GHz Athlon.

    The VT6103L (as on your board) is linux compatible. If RH doesn't find it
    for some reason, then you have to configure it yourself, or maybe try
    another distro. Try Knoppix (bootable CD) and see if it finds it.

    Wes Newell, Dec 24, 2004

  3. David Zipoy wrote:

    > I have RedHat Linux 8.0 running on an Abit VA10 v1.3 machine. The problem
    > is Linux does not find the network connection that is built into the
    > board. Does anyone know of a fix for this? The CPU is a 2.7GHz Athlon.
    >
    > Thanks, Dave

    Either updaste to a recent distro or add a cheap Realtek 8139 NIC.
    SUSE 9 & Mandrake 10 work with everything I've thrown at them (though SUSE
    is easier for 802.11b networking).

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Dec 24, 2004
  4. David Zipoy

    jackag Guest

    look on your motherboard disk , there should be a lan driver for linux.
    I say this as i have just built a new machine on an abit mobo and during the
    lan setup(win98) i noticed lan drivers for most systems including linux.

    jackag, Dec 29, 2004
  5. David Zipoy

    William Park Guest

    David Zipoy <> wrote:
    > I have RedHat Linux 8.0 running on an Abit VA10 v1.3 machine. The
    > problem is Linux does not find the network connection that is built
    > into the board. Does anyone know of a fix for this? The CPU is a
    > 2.7GHz Athlon.

    Spec says Abit VA-10 is using Via VT8235 southbridge, so
    modprobe via-rhine
    should work.

    Now...
    1. Why did you choose Abit VA-10, and not Asus A7V400-MX?

    2. Does VA-10 has BIOS option for USB-... boot option? I
    downloaded VA-10 PDF manual, but it doesn't list all the boot
    options.

    3. What is your general impression of the board? From Linux point
    of view, of course.

    --
    William Park <>
    Linux solution for data processing.